Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 10:44 AM

89 posts, read 93,900 times

Advertisements

I live in Ireland so it may be different in the States but I know here after a certain time, any criminal convictions you have become spent and thus you don't have to declare it

The reason I ask is because one of my friends in America was convicted of underage sex (he's 21, she's 15). He received probation but now has lost his job as a nurse and can't find another one. How hard will it be to find another job?

Is his life really worth it at this point given how tarnishing a record is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 11:02 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Depends on what you're applying for.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:21 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
It depends on the nature of the crime, age of offender (and victim) and how much time has passed since the crime was committed. Yes, convictions can be a lifetime barrier to gainful employment. Was he convicted of a sex offense? If so, that is a very big deal. What crime was he actually convicted of? Does he have to register as a sex offender? He may never work in the field again. The state also has the authority to pull his nursing license.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:54 AM

204 posts, read 120,975 times
He's a sex offender. That's a pretty big deal.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
They can always just become a professional YouTuber, plenty of former convicted felons on there that served years (hard time) in the clink, that make a nice living (high 5 figures, 6-figures and even 7-figures per year) being a Tuber!

Old 07-13-2020, 03:52 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundestroyer View Post
now has lost his job as a nurse and can't find another one. How hard will it be to find another job?

He's going to need to find a new career.. His career as a nurse is done.

Noone will hire him as a nurse with that conviction. And that conviction will never go away.

Can he do other things? Absolutely. But.. Medical field is likely out, anything education is out.. Anything where he'd have contact with kids is out.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:05 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times
How did he get away with probation only? He probably lost his professional licence once he was convicted as a sex offender.

Quote:

The reason I ask is because one of my friends in America was convicted of underage sex (he's 21, she's 15). He received probation but now has lost his job as a nurse and can't find another one. How hard will it be to find another job?

Old 07-13-2020, 05:11 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Maybe he should explore opportunities to relocate and recertify in other countries? Perhaps a country where sex with a 15 year old would be less likely to raise an eyebrow.

It may be possible to use his nursing credentials to get into a healthcare administration career - maybe an insurance company...

He cant lie about his conviction in the US. That would be grounds for not hiring, as well as dismissal once discovered.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:13 PM

17,279 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
I live in Ireland so it may be different in the States but I know here after a certain time, any criminal convictions you have become spent and thus you don't have to declare it

Not too many nurses at age 21............I'd guess he is a CNA or something similar not an actual RN.

Old 07-13-2020, 05:20 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Heck, many such people that purchase a flight to the U.K. will be turned back when they go through customs.

The U.K.'s been known to refuse entry to people that have misdemeanors like drunk driving.

In the States, misdemeanors are often overlooked. And felons can forget working in many jobs, especially government jobs where the FBI does background checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment