Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 05:52 AM

5,902 posts, read 3,919,208 times

Advertisements

At the end of May, I applied for a position and was contacted by the company to set up an interview. We agreed on a date which was on June 10th. However, a couple days before the 10th, I received an e-mail from the company cancelling the interview. It read,

"Good morning Sands,

As we continue through hiring process, it is important to remember that we value you as an applicant and have not forgotten about you.

That being said, due to such a large and unexpected volume of applications, we have decided to temporarily postpone our interviews. This is necessary in order to ensure each candidate receives proper time for their interview. Don't worry, we will be reaching out to you to reschedule your appointment. Thank you for your patience and we are eager to move forward in the hiring process."

I thanked them for letting me know and told them that I looked forward to hearing from them. However, around two weeks ago, I noticed they re-posted the job online for two days before taking it off. Even weirder, they just re-posted the job again a few days ago which is still available online via Indeed.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on with them so I'd like some suggestions if I should...

a) Send them a follow-up e-mail to determine my status about a possible interview
b) Apply for the new listing they just posted of the same job
c) Do nothing (i.e. let them contact me)

What would be the appropriate path moving forward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 06:05 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,049,268 times
I am in charge of hiring where I am (large corporation). Our job postings expire after a certain time and we have to repost them all over. We cannot just make the same ones active again, we have to start the posting from scratch and people have to reapply because all the applicants from the first time posting are not being considered anymore.

We had a hiring freeze due to Covid and all our job postings expired and we have to repost them, even though we had probably a good candidates pool the first time around.

I would reapply if I was you and then call them and let them know that you have been contacted before for an interview and that you are still interested.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:18 PM

23,649 posts, read 24,209,351 times
I would go with option “A”. Send a polite email inquiring about the position. With the Covid19 crisis, things could have gotten “off track”.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:31 AM

9,473 posts, read 8,460,004 times
Absolutely contact them. Re-apply if necessary. The squeaky wheel gets oiled, as they say.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:27 AM

Thanks guys. It just took me by surprise that they cancelled my interview due to too many applications and then re-posted the job to get even more applications.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:42 AM

12,112 posts, read 23,362,822 times
I'd send them an email. As noted above, their list may have 'expired' which sends them back to square 1.

Old 07-11-2020, 08:23 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,388,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Thanks guys. It just took me by surprise that they cancelled my interview due to too many applications and then re-posted the job to get even more applications.
A friend of mine told me he applied for a job, got contacted by HR and after a phone interview with the hiring manager they scheduled him for an interview. The next day he got a boilerplate email they decided to move forward with other candidates. This is before he even had the interview. So he contacted them saying "This must be a mistake" and they send back an apology and he was back in the running for the position and had the interview.

You can't rule out the distinct possibility that HR or the hiring manager screwed up. Contact them, it won't hurt to do so.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:41 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,264,011 times
Always send a polite email. The worst that could happen is they don't reply. But if they are a *decent* company, they should understand your confusion and clear it up. Or at least give you some type of answer.

But yeah, never not at least send an email. Always try to get the weight off your shoulders with wondering and the anxiety that comes with it (well, at least for me)

Old 07-14-2020, 01:06 PM

8,010 posts, read 10,471,008 times
I would just shoot them a friendly email saying you are still interested and just wanted to follow up and check on the status of the interview process.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:29 AM

I sent them a friendly e-mail last Thursday. I haven't received a response back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment