Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:04 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
I don't watch the weather forecast on TV because I have an ancient Indian weather rock outside my place.

If the rock is wet - it's raining
If the rock is white - it's snowing
If the rock is warm - it's summer
If the rock is cold - it's winter

Do you have a clone of that rock? It sounds like it would work just fine for me! I just always have my sunglasses with me, my umbrella, and a light sweater. (thank goodness NO SNOW!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 01:02 PM

98 posts, read 430,992 times
I've always wanted to be a meteorologist. I got an AFROTC scholarship for meteorolgy when I graduated from high school. You might want to check into that. If you have good grades in HS, they may pay for your entire college. Having a backgroundn in AF meteorology also looks very good to potential employers when you decide to leave the Air Force. Don't do it if you don't want to be in the Air Force though. I took the scholarship and decided that I didn't want to be in the Air Force after one year in school. I wasn't under contract yet though so there was no problem with me dropping out of the program. I had to transfer colleges though, because out of state tuition was too expensive. I transferred from the University of Colorado to the University of Tenenssee. I am majoring in geography at Tennessee and will graduate in May. My plan was always to go to grad school for meteorolgy, but I recently changed it..

It's not easy to go straight to grad school for meteorology with a bachelors in geography. You have to take several electives in math and physics including calc 1, calc 2, differential equations, two semesters of calculus based physics, and sometimes partial differential equations (depending on the program). I interned with the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center for two summers and decided that I'd rather go to grad school for geography with a concentration in climatology. I understand your love for the weather because I also have it. While working at the HPC, I became fearful that I'd end up working in an office all day forecasting the weather (which isn't what I love about it). I love being outside and decided that a grad degree in geography would probably give me a better chance of being out and experiencing the weahter. I'm hoping to go back to the Univ. of Colorado to specialize in arctic and alpine climatology. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the programs I applied to. I applied to the geography programs at Colorado, Penn State, and LSU because they all have concentrations in climatology.

I guess my main point is to make sure you think about exactly what you want to do. Picture what would make you happy ten years down the road and start working to get there. I couldn't imagine myself happy sitting in front of a computer forecasting weather each day. There were plenty of people at the HPC who loved that though. It all depends what your likes are. Good luck!

Some schools I looked into while researching meteorology schools were..

Univ. of Miami
Florida State
Oklahoma
Texas A&M
Penn State
Ohio State
Nebraska

Old 01-04-2007, 01:16 PM

569 posts, read 1,229,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Do you have a clone of that rock? It sounds like it would work just fine for me! I just always have my sunglasses with me, my umbrella, and a light sweater. (thank goodness NO SNOW!!)
I wish I did because they are very rare. The old Native American that I got mine from explained to me that it takes "big medicine" to be a "weather rock".

Old 03-24-2007, 08:16 PM

606 posts, read 699,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
A friend of mine in college was a Meteorology major and I was surprised by the number of math and physics courses she was required to take. She unfortunately had to drop out of school and while she was planning eventually on moving to Oklahoma to take advantage of the program in Norman after gaining in-state residency, that fell by the wayside when she got married and had a child.

She was mostly interested in the storm chasing aspect of meteorology and was fascinated by thunderstorms and tornadoes. She wasn't particularly interested in working in broadcasting.
lmao,meteorology is quite a tough major.
think twice before choose it,do you like math and science?

Old 03-31-2007, 06:31 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,638 times
There was a point in time that I wanted to become a meteorologist, among other things. When I was career exploring in high school and saw that meteorology majors have to take a lot of math and science classes, then I was turned off immediately. I always wanted to be a TV personality. I'm probably the only person who loves The Weather Channel. I always get a good laugh off Cheryl Lemke...something about her always makes me laugh

Old 04-02-2007, 02:09 PM

26 posts, read 219,073 times
she reminds me of a leprechaun

Old 04-02-2007, 03:09 PM

164 posts, read 200,189 times
lol I have had a fascination in the weather since the age of 4, and I had my mind set on being a meteorologist. That is until I couldn't hack the Math and Physics part of it. Teachers have alot to do with it IMO. Now I'm looking to major in my second obsession, money and economics.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:41 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallkiller728 View Post
she reminds me of a leprechaun
LOL...she does seem a little chipper and animated at times, but I guess it's that...uniqueness for lack of a better word that makes her stand out.

I cannot, cannot, CANNOT stand how they always feel obligated to throw in something about Atlanta when it's stormy elsewhere and there's not a cloud in the sky down there. I mean, I LOVE Atlanta and wanted to live there at one time, but they just make me sick as far as that goes.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:48 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
I'm going to PM you some contact info for a summer program starting the end of May. It's going to be an on the road storm chasing class.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:52 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
It is the only job that I know of that you can be wrong all the time and not get fired.
Ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment