Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:30 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,705 times

Advertisements

What do you do, when you're the new one in the department, and the other 3 people have worked together for the past 15 years?
I feel like I am breaking into a sorority.
I have already been told "how awful" it is there (yet they stay--sic), and constant complaining about the bosses. I give them non-answers like "Oh really" and "That's interesting" because I know they would go back and repeat what I've said.
There is a lot of competition, and the one has been able to take some of my hours from me. She isn't a manager, but the bosses let her do the scheduling of everyone's hours. She is getting off on the power, from what I see and hear.
I have far more experience than her. I have worked in other places, but she gave me a "talking to" and told me how to do things. I said I would do things the way they want, but that she should know that all of the 7 other places I have worked require a tech do to more than she does.
I haven't heard any complaints from the doctors I work with, and I wonder if she is trying to make me look bad. That is my gut feeling.
I have stayed professional and polite to her, but she is not a degreed or licensed tech, and is trying to cross train, and her condescending attitute is too much.
Why do people try to do the political thing so bad? Why can't they just come in and do their work and get off the soap opera thing? They won't get one word from me badmouthing my bosses, and if they think that means I like them, they can take it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 04:36 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
This isn't nasty, really, but childish. I recently was new to a job and the three others who shared the room had worked together for years. Two were talking to eachother at one end of the room and the one whose desk faced mine got up and asked them if they wanted any chocolate. Then she walked out, got the candy and gave them each a piece.

One of them said, "Hey, didn't you even ask X if she wanted some?" Sort of in an amused tone. So I just joked about it, like I was crying, "Noooo, she didn't even ask me if I wanted some." The woman just said, "Well, I had a tough time just getting it for you two."

I found out later that she could not stand yankees! It's so funny! I work for myself now. Only one idiot to deal with - LOL!

Old 10-07-2007, 04:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
I always assume anyone that acts in the manner described has low self-esteem and uses the methods mentioned to feel superior. All it does is make them look foolish and petty....

I spent 22 years in a hellhole. Finally got out and have my own business. That was 10 years ago. My wife says I look younger now than I did then. Lack of stress is good.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:15 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
My advice is try not to get caught up in office politics. I have made that mistake and it pretty much can ruin your chances of advancement or being happy. The nasty one(s) will try as much as they can to push you around.

At every job there is always at least one frustrated and bossy female who is jealous of anyone new. Or they pretend to befriend you just to use your words against you. They may even act concerned about your life but if you seem to get any 'recognition' or advancement they will rip you apart.

Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing I think the saying goes.

I suggest you look for a new job or learn to keep to yourself. The less you say the less can be used against you.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:36 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,171 times
Sometimes people who have been there forever (and sometimes because they can't advance and they know it) will feel threatened by a new employee because they may show them up. If they've been getting away with murder for years, and you come in all gung ho, it may mean curtains for them.

Sadly, many women in particular don't understand office politics. Men can be much less emotional about it. If they don't like a coworker, they are more likely to keep it to themselves and perhaps even use it to their advantage down the line.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My advice is try not to get caught up in office politics. I have made that mistake and it pretty much can ruin your chances of advancement or being happy. The nasty one(s) will try as much as they can to push you around.

At every job there is always at least one frustrated and bossy female who is jealous of anyone new. Or they pretend to befriend you just to use your words against you. They may even act concerned about your life but if you seem to get any 'recognition' or advancement they will rip you apart.

Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing I think the saying goes.

I suggest you look for a new job or learn to keep to yourself. The less you say the less can be used against you.

I believe this applies to the one at work. Pretends to be friendly, but I think she has put in bad words about me to my bosses.
She has a lot of pull, she has worked there over 15 years, and she isn't going anywhere. My bosses have done us such a disservice putting her in charge of our hours, when she is only a coworker. If you met this woman, you'd think she ran the department.
If she went somewhere new, she would be a little fish in a big pond. Right now she has the upperhand. And...she is using it against me. I am looking for other work, but I am tired of these people.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Sometimes people who have been there forever (and sometimes because they can't advance and they know it) will feel threatened by a new employee because they may show them up. If they've been getting away with murder for years, and you come in all gung ho, it may mean curtains for them.

Sadly, many women in particular don't understand office politics. Men can be much less emotional about it. If they don't like a coworker, they are more likely to keep it to themselves and perhaps even use it to their advantage down the line.

I agree...I haven't done anything to this woman. I have tried to be professional and polite and friendly. She asked everyone in the department if they want to order a shirt for a certain day, except me. I found out from someone up front that there is going to be a department party. No one has mentioned it to me.
If she is going out of her way to keep me out of things, I hope someone does that to her someday. Reversal often teaches lessons.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I always assume anyone that acts in the manner described has low self-esteem and uses the methods mentioned to feel superior. All it does is make them look foolish and petty....

I spent 22 years in a hellhole. Finally got out and have my own business. That was 10 years ago. My wife says I look younger now than I did then. Lack of stress is good.

I would love to start my own business. I don't need someone standing over me telling me where to store the Post-its on my desk. I am very self motivated and accountable.
Unfortunately, I have been undercut by the vicious before.
If I had an idea for a business, but I have also heard many businesses don't make it. You are very lucky.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:34 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
I am fed up, too, with the workplace and its masses of idiots. So quit my last stinking job, and am going toward my OWN business. Am in process of getting MBA and intend next time to be the boss!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:42 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I agree...I haven't done anything to this woman. I have tried to be professional and polite and friendly. She asked everyone in the department if they want to order a shirt for a certain day, except me. I found out from someone up front that there is going to be a department party. No one has mentioned it to me.
If she is going out of her way to keep me out of things, I hope someone does that to her someday. Reversal often teaches lessons.
I feel so badly for you that you are having to go through this...it can be very stressful and painful. Just keep breathing long deep breaths to calm your system, so you don't develop physical problems from the stress--a real danger.

I think you are being "too friendly". It's hard to define, but there is a demeanor that you can strive for that is appropriately civil and unreproachable. Right now, you are "fresh meat", and you can't just fix it with niceness. The nicer you try to be, the more they will try to screw up your day.

Stand firm, straighten your back, say little, do the job to the best of your abilities. Appear that you couldn't care less about their childish games--in fact that you don't even notice them. It's just like the bully on the playground...when they don't think they're getting a rise out of you anymore, they'll grow bored and move on.

The higher-ups may be fully aware of how these people operate, and are hoping to upgrade - starting with you!!

I'm sending up a little prayer for you...hang in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment