Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 04:54 PM

92 posts, read 116,352 times

Advertisements

After working from home the past few months, everyone in my company is back at a brand new office.

And I hate it.

At the previous office, I had my own little alcove where I could adjust the overhead lighting (usually off, so there was no glare on my screen). Now we are all in a big open space with no cubicle walls and lights that are WAY too bright for my eyes.

I asked my employer about moving into one of the 2 empty offices (where I could control the lighting) and he refused. I asked about cubicle walls, and he refused. The lights are automatically on at a certain time with no way to turn them off (and certainly not just over me). After telling me how much money he spent on LED's (not fluorescent) and how they were OSHA compliant .... He said I could deal with the bright lights or quit, and he didn't want to hear about it again.

I really don't want to put up with an 8 hour headache all day. I loved my job before all this, and I have no idea why my boss (who was normally very accommodating) is taking a hard stance on this one particular issue. I don't want to get lawyers involved and no sure it would do any good anyway. I just want about 70% less light.

Am I being unreasonable? Is my boss just being an Mod cut., or is there some angle I am not seeing? Is there any way to convince him I'm not lying (I could get a doctor's note if I had too), or to make him accommodate my light sensitivity? Or should I just deal with it until the economy gets back on track enough to find another job?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-20-2020 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Circumventing the language filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 05:19 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS_151 View Post
After working from home the past few months, everyone in my company is back at a brand new office.

And I hate it.

At the previous office, I had my own little alcove where I could adjust the overhead lighting (usually off, so there was no glare on my screen). Now we are all in a big open space with no cubicle walls and lights that are WAY too bright for my eyes.

I asked my employer about moving into one of the 2 empty offices (where I could control the lighting) and he refused. I asked about cubicle walls, and he refused. The lights are automatically on at a certain time with no way to turn them off (and certainly not just over me). After telling me how much money he spent on LED's (not fluorescent) and how they were OSHA compliant .... He said I could deal with the bright lights or quit, and he didn't want to hear about it again.

I really don't want to put up with an 8 hour headache all day. I loved my job before all this, and I have no idea why my boss (who was normally very accommodating) is taking a hard stance on this one particular issue. I don't want to get lawyers involved and no sure it would do any good anyway. I just want about 70% less light.

Am I being unreasonable? Is my boss just being an [Snip.], or is there some angle I am not seeing? Is there any way to convince him I'm not lying (I could get a doctor's note if I had too), or to make him accommodate my light sensitivity? Or should I just deal with it until the economy gets back on track enough to find another job?
Probably because he spent a butt load of money on the lights. Our management just installed one of those new auto controlled LED systems throughout the whole plant. Pretty much you're going to like it, no complaining allowed. Seriously though they are too bright. Could have left out every other fixture and it would be about right.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-20-2020 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-17-2020, 07:13 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
A glare screen for your computer might help, but it won't help with the overhead light.

For that, I suggest showing up on Monday with one of these just for your workspace:

https://www.wayfair.com/Alcott-Hill%...SABEgJvQfD_BwE

Old 07-17-2020, 08:32 PM

521 posts, read 292,452 times
OP, can you wear sun glasses in the office? I'm serious BTW. I wore sun glasses for a while in my previous job because of strong sunlight. My manager ended up using a curtain to cover the light!!

Old 07-17-2020, 09:23 PM

23,261 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Try the updated anti-glare glasses, use a glare screen on your computer, and show up for work wearing a really great brimmed hat! Don't know your gender but you could cultivate a Panama? Fedora? Trilby? Sombrero? When coworkers (or this boss) ask you why, explain.

FWI, "reasonable accommodation" has a specific definition...refers to actions an employer might take to assist a disabled worker in compliance with the ADA. Doubt you'll be able to go there with this.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:23 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Would something like this work?

Compushade Laptop Visor

If you didn’t want to spend the money, you could cut down a corrugated carton.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:34 PM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Nobody else is complaining?
If this is a multiple office building them he might be unable to control the light (no separate switches, light turns on automatically from a central station).
Too much light could be troublesome and cause headache and eye strain.

Like others suggested - wear sunglasses and maybe a baseball cap, if allowed.
You could make a joke and attach an umbrella to the back of your chair - if you don't work with customers - which I doubt, since you work in a big open space with multiple work stations. Not sure if your boss would understand the humor of that, though... But if he doesn't care, then go for it

Too bad you can't install one of those:
https://www.cubeshield.com/

Oh, I found this:
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/loeva-b...reen-40338405/ or maybe you can? (attach to a stick and attach the stick to your desk or back of your chair). Yup! It's not a joke - see here: "Perfect for Diffusing Harsh Florescent Office Lighting!"
https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Green-Le...df_9178920426/

https://www.hexarmor.com/posts/how-c...your-workplace

Old 07-17-2020, 09:42 PM

61,654 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
A glare screen for your computer might help, but it won't help with the overhead light.

For that, I suggest showing up on Monday with one of these just for your workspace:

https://www.wayfair.com/Alcott-Hill%...SABEgJvQfD_BwE
Lol!!! Great minds think alike!

Old 07-17-2020, 10:40 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Do you have a documented/verifiable medical reason for needing the lights adjusted? Since you use the phrase "reasonable accommodation" which is an actual work related legal issue under ADA, I'm not sure if you mean the legal process for a "Request for a Reasonable Accommodation" under the ADA or you just meant it in a generic way.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:15 AM

92 posts, read 116,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Nobody else is complaining?
If this is a multiple office building them he might be unable to control the light (no separate switches, light turns on automatically from a central station).
Too much light could be troublesome and cause headache and eye strain.

Like others suggested - wear sunglasses and maybe a baseball cap, if allowed.
You could make a joke and attach an umbrella to the back of your chair - if you don't work with customers - which I doubt, since you work in a big open space with multiple work stations. Not sure if your boss would understand the humor of that, though... But if he doesn't care, then go for it

Too bad you can't install one of those:
https://www.cubeshield.com/

Oh, I found this:
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/loeva-b...reen-40338405/ or maybe you can? (attach to a stick and attach the stick to your desk or back of your chair). Yup! It's not a joke - see here: "Perfect for Diffusing Harsh Florescent Office Lighting!"
https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-Green-Le...df_9178920426/

https://www.hexarmor.com/posts/how-c...your-workplace
No cubicle walls to attach it too. I know we have them in storage but buss is ADAMANT that everything be open with no modifications. At this point I'm worried Id be fired if I had an umbrella like the previous poster showed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment