Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 11:17 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,711,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
That one too!!
The weakness is actually a strength that you are presenting as a weakness and explaining how improving that fake weakness will help you succeed in the position you are being interviewed for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 04:01 AM

10,587 posts, read 12,016,793 times
Quote:
his is because they are trying to CYA from a discrimination perspective. Hence the hiring process gets scripted down to behavioral questions that is asked to everyone. Thus, if you decide to contest, they can say "we asked everyone the same question" and someone else's responses are better.
Exactly.

Quote:
This is where my acting skills comes in. Just like... make up a story...
Use the tips in some of these answers about how you resolve conflict.....and tell a story, uh scratch that give an example. Present the example as real. Sometimes you get dinged if it's to "hypothetical."

Others have said just make up a story. As has been pointed out. How would they even know it's true. Just give them the answer they're looking for. It's a game anyway.

It doesn't have to be that deep. It could be as simple as you wanted to do something (tell what it was) one way and a colleague wanted another approach. Explain how you two worked it out. You know...listening, understanding that the work comes first, respecting others' opinions, etc., etc., etc.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:11 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,837,069 times
Quote:
I really do believe that interviewers are looking for a specific word, phrase or example on this. I try and give ones that have worked before for me, quite successfully, but I can tell, as soon as I say it, that that's not what they were looking for. I've never figured it out. Because my examples are ones that are successful, but it almost feels like successful isn't actually what they want to hear. They want to hear a key idea that matches something they are thinking of and feels represents their ethos.
Unless you’re sipping their particular brand of kool-aid they’re not trying to hear it.

Old 07-29-2020, 06:34 AM

18,048 posts, read 25,100,414 times
Quote:
No matter what else I may be asked in an interview, this one seems to be asked a lot. I often apply for City, State or County jobs and this question is always present. It is: "Have you ever been in a work situation where you didn't get along with someone and and how did you handle it?" The other question on these interviews is often: "Think of a difficult time you have experienced in a the work environment and what did you do about it?" There is something interesting about these two questions; I feel as though they are looking for something very specific, even a keyword or phrase, yet no matter how I answer these 2 questions to the best of my ability, I can always feel that I haven't quite said what they were hoping to hear. How would you answer these questions.
This are trick questions to get "interview rookies"
Anybody that is good in interviews will easily get out of them making themselves look good

All you have to do is answer like a politician
Some BS about how something bad made you learn and grow to become a better person

Old 07-29-2020, 11:35 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,190,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I thought you were going to say "What is your biggest weakness?"

I hate that one. Trick question.
I hate that question. There is no correct answer to that question.

Admit a weakness? That is why they rejected you.
Don't admit a weakness? You're a narcissist and rejected for that.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
"Have you ever been in a work situation where you didn't get along with someone and and how did you handle it?" I mind my own business and do my job.
That doesn't answer the question.

They expect you to answer how you deal with someone who you don't get along with.

They expect you to, as part of your regular job duties, to deal with people who they don't get along with.

For example, you're required to file paperwork with this person and they hate you. Every time you file paperwork with them, drama happens. How do you handle it?

Can't "mind your own business and just do your job" here. Won't work.

They want to see how you resolve interpersonal difficulties.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:58 PM

6,602 posts, read 5,846,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
I hate that question. There is no correct answer to that question.

Admit a weakness? That is why they rejected you.
Don't admit a weakness? You're a narcissist and rejected for that.
The standard answers:
"My biggest weakness is that I work too hard."
"...I dedicate my life to my job."
"...I'm too much of a perfectionist."
and so forth.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:45 PM

12,631 posts, read 8,850,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The standard answers:
and so forth.
Here's the part I don't get. Everyone knows there are phony questions and the right set of phony words to make up. So why on earth do some interviewers still ask these questions? They gain no useful information out of the. The questions say more about the quality of management than about the person being interviewed.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:36 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,655,744 times
Quote:
I really do believe that interviewers are looking for a specific word, phrase or example on this. I try and give ones that have worked before for me, quite successfully, but I can tell, as soon as I say it, that that's not what they were looking for. I've never figured it out. Because my examples are ones that are successful, but it almost feels like successful isn't actually what they want to hear. They want to hear a key idea that matches something they are thinking of and feels represents their ethos.
They really are not. They are looking to see how you deal with situations. You’d be surprised what you find out from situational questions. I had one woman who told me she begged someone to give her another chance. She was very proud of herself and the way she dealt with it. Red flag.

They are not looking for anything specific, they just want to know if you are professional.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
The standard answers:
Rejected. "We want people who work smarter"

Quote:
Rejected. "We read your resume and saw new jobs every 2-3 years, or a wall of contracts."

Quote:
Rejected. "We want people who get things done."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment