Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2020, 11:48 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times

Advertisements

This is a question for you data/hr analysts out there.

Currently I do analytics and metrics for the recruiting department. My boss wants to take away that part of my job because nothing new is being developed right now. Problem is, she still wants me to upkeep my current reports, run ad hoc reports, make pretty graphs, put together smaller dashboards, troubleshoot/validate the data, ensure we're collecting the applicable data, update the systems as needed, etc.

My question is....would I still be considered an analyst? The difference is going to be at least 2-3 pay grades lower and I need to figure out if I have anything to fight back with or if I need to refresh my resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 01:40 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Always kee your resume fresh and network, network, network in and beyond your the company you now work for even when you think you have the best job in the world.

Rarely does an employer decrease pay under the circumstances you describe, if you are downgraded you may be red-circled as paid higher than the new pay range. That said, if the firm has a reduction in force you may be a target.

I read a lot, recently I read that the demand for data scientists has decreased.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Always keep your resume fresh and network, network, network in and beyond your the company you now work for even when you think you have the best job in the world.

Rarely does an employer decrease pay under the circumstances you describe, if you are downgraded you may be red-circled as paid higher than the new pay range. That said, if the firm has a reduction in force you may be a target.

I read a lot, recently I read that the demand for data scientists has decreased.
I agree, when our jobs are reviewed and end up at a lower range, there is simply a stop in the annual performance based raises, no decrease in pay. The demand for data scientists still exists but more and more, as in our company, managers and others, even Admins are learning programs such as Tableau and doing their own analytics. Our business intelligence group does analytics, metrics, dashboards etc. for company-wide reporting, and part of their job is helping people in other departments to do their own.

I'm a middle manager, and use Tableau, Japersoft and Excel with access to our relational database for billing to produce ad hoc and production reports.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Always kee your resume fresh and network, network, network in and beyond your the company you now work for even when you think you have the best job in the world.

I totally get that and for the most part, it's updated, just needs some edits. I am just worried they're going to adjust my pay, but if that's not common and they just leave me on the high end or maxed out, I'm okay with that for now (obviously will be looking for a new job since they've already screwed me in other ways - as you said, not a lot of demand so I don't want to look right now if I don't have to).

Old 08-03-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree, when our jobs are reviewed and end up at a lower range, there is simply a stop in the annual performance based raises, no decrease in pay. The demand for data scientists still exists but more and more, as in our company, managers and others, even Admins are learning programs such as Tableau and doing their own analytics. Our business intelligence group does analytics, metrics, dashboards etc. for company-wide reporting, and part of their job is helping people in other departments to do their own.

I'm a middle manager, and use Tableau, Japersoft and Excel with access to our relational database for billing to produce ad hoc and production reports.

Fingers crossed that they won't lower my pay. Granted a demotion is no fun either. But at least so far, it doesn't sound like the norm.

Also, I understand where you're coming from about everyone doing their own analytics, but my company isn't like that; no one but the BI analysts can create reports (ad hoc or otherwise) using the data warehouse. My data, however, isn't in the warehouse yet, and I'm the SME. So if they want data out of that system, they need to go through me. How do you cut out analytics/metrics and just say, "oh, we're getting it through XYZ" (tableau, looker, etc) when that data isn't correct to how we measure things nor isn't in a warehouse and boss doesn't seem to care (maybe that's the point of this entire thing....boss doesn't get it).

Sorry for the slight rant there. I'm just fed up with how I've been treated in the past couple of months.

Old 08-04-2020, 03:10 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Fingers crossed that they won't lower my pay. Granted a demotion is no fun either. But at least so far, it doesn't sound like the norm.

Also, I understand where you're coming from about everyone doing their own analytics, but my company isn't like that; no one but the BI analysts can create reports (ad hoc or otherwise) using the data warehouse. My data, however, isn't in the warehouse yet, and I'm the SME. So if they want data out of that system, they need to go through me. How do you cut out analytics/metrics and just say, "oh, we're getting it through XYZ" (tableau, looker, etc) when that data isn't correct to how we measure things nor isn't in a warehouse and boss doesn't seem to care (maybe that's the point of this entire thing....boss doesn't get it).

Sorry for the slight rant there. I'm just fed up with how I've been treated in the past couple of months.
Don't fool yourself into thinking they need to go through you. They might very well lessen the grade of your job and have an external agency/vendor do what you do. Yes, it likely isn't a wise move on their part, but not all management is created equally.

If I were you, I would immediately update the resume and look for a job while you still have your job title and pay intact to look for a lateral move or a promotion to another company, because this one reduces you to something menial.

Again, don't become mistaken into thinking they can't or won't do something, because you can't see how they would function that way. Something is brewing, you are right to be concerned and I would get out of there.

Don't look to HR to classify your job according to some standard. What happens is management has a budget for the position or what your new position will become, and they work backwards from there with a job title and a job description. You can argue with them all you want, if they decided to do this, your own real course of action is to leave, I'm sorry to say.

Old 08-04-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Don't fool yourself into thinking they need to go through you. They might very well lessen the grade of your job and have an external agency/vendor do what you do. Yes, it likely isn't a wise move on their part, but not all management is created equally.

If I were you, I would immediately update the resume and look for a job while you still have your job title and pay intact to look for a lateral move or a promotion to another company, because this one reduces you to something menial.

Again, don't become mistaken into thinking they can't or won't do something, because you can't see how they would function that way. Something is brewing, you are right to be concerned and I would get out of there.

Don't look to HR to classify your job according to some standard. What happens is management has a budget for the position or what your new position will become, and they work backwards from there with a job title and a job description. You can argue with them all you want, if they decided to do this, your own real course of action is to leave, I'm sorry to say.
Trust me, I get it. I really do. But of course, thank you for the reminder.

Good point on the last paragraph. I was thinking that, but hoping it wasn't the case. However, since our hours were cut and people within my dept were let go, I wouldn't be surprised that my manager is trying to continue to cut pay where she can and although my colleagues wouldn't think I'm them most expendable, I am now. Fingers crossed they don't lower my pay. Sigh, guess I'll find out soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment