Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 12:20 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times

Advertisements

Move on.

If they really wanted to hire you, they wouldn't take forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 01:06 PM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Move on.

If they really wanted to hire you, they wouldn't take forever.
That's not always true. People are out on vacation, sick (covid!), there are hiring freezes and they could also be interviewing other candidates as well and still give a formal/written offer to OP. Remember, the HR Department is typically very separate from the team you'd be working under. OP said this was a large organization which means its a bureaucracy.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:15 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,850 times
I would follow up one last time, bit in the meantime, I'd look for something else.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:24 PM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucadxb View Post
Hi all

So I had an online interview Friday September 18 which went well and HR told me I’d hear back by the following Friday 25th, I didn’t hear anything. I followed up on September 28 and the HR replied same day informing me that they are recommending an offer be made to me but the director is on a weeks leave so it may be next week, so I was expecting to hear by October 9 latest, however, I still haven’t heard anything to date.

Do I follow up again or just wait? I don’t want to come across as desperate and impatient but on other hand I need to know.

What would you do?

Thanks
Follow-up asking status. You were given a date so it would not appear impatient; it shows you are conscientious. You may be advised that someone else has been selected and you can put the job out of your mind.

Old 10-13-2020, 02:44 PM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Thing is, I need to know either way due to it being a relocation to another country so I need to sell my car, cancel my apartment contract etc. it’s also a good opportunity in terms of career progression and provides longevity of work during this pandemic.

I’ll follow up tomorrow and hope for a positive response.

Follow up, because if you get the job, you will have a lot to organize before you leave.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:12 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Do I follow up again or just wait? I don’t want to come across as desperate and impatient but on other hand I need to know.

They would already know you're desperate by the fact you haven't already found another job and moved on.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:20 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
That's not always true. People are out on vacation, sick (covid!), there are hiring freezes and they could also be interviewing other candidates as well and still give a formal/written offer to OP. Remember, the HR Department is typically very separate from the team you'd be working under. OP said this was a large organization which means its a bureaucracy.

What you said actually supports the post you responded to about the company not being completely sold on the OP as a hire.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:52 AM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What you said actually supports the post you responded to about the company not being completely sold on the OP as a hire.
But so what? This isn't the prom and the date you asked out isn't out looking at potentially swapping you out for another date. Lots of folks here seem to be equating a company doing its due diligence by seeking out as many qualified candidates as possible to some sort of backhand slap to the face to OP. That's what good companies do. And for the record, no one knows that's what is happening here, some are just assuming that. Like I said, it could be a dozen other reasons.

Years ago, I had a single interview with a firm for 30 minutes over the phone and was hired right there on the spot. To my knowledge they did not interview anyone else. It was to manage a team of 8 people. Within a week I realized this organization was in complete disarray and this particular team I was hired to manage was full of miserable, overworked/underpaid people who wanted nothing more than to leave their jobs. I ended up quitting after a month. I've had a few more instances of similar scenarios where the interview process was incredibly short and the job turned out to be not great (whereas other interviews where I'd meet a half dozen people in the organization with several rounds turned into great jobs with great companies).

Old 10-14-2020, 05:58 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
I'd give them one more shot. Make one more call but while you're (still) waiting, I'd start looking for another position.
If this is the only position you were waiting on, because you thought you were 'in,' I feel bad, but I do think it would be time to move on. I agree that if they were truly going to hire you, you would have been given some solid indication (if nothing else, a start date, so you could start preparing to relocate). I also agree that this is a red flag.
Is this a government job?

Old 10-14-2020, 06:17 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,238,477 times
Our hiring moves at a snail's pace, so I can't necessarily fault them for the delays, especially with COVID, kids back to school, etc.

HR said they would recommend hiring, but they have no control over how long it takes the director to decide, what s/he decides, and how long it takes to get back to HR to write up the response.

I am firmly against lying in the hiring process, but I wonder if you could maybe float that you are talking to other companies and need a response sooner rather than later. I imagine that you are still looking and applying to things, so that's not a total lie, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment