Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 05:15 AM

10 posts, read 5,967 times

Advertisements

Hi all

So I had an online interview Friday September 18 which went well and HR told me I’d hear back by the following Friday 25th, I didn’t hear anything. I followed up on September 28 and the HR replied same day informing me that they are recommending an offer be made to me but the director is on a weeks leave so it may be next week, so I was expecting to hear by October 9 latest, however, I still haven’t heard anything to date.

Do I follow up again or just wait? I don’t want to come across as desperate and impatient but on other hand I need to know.

What would you do?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 06:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
You've waited an extra 2 weeks for an answer. If an employer would consider that impatient, I would question whether they're getting enough work done to remain viable. Follow up, along with a gentle reminder of how long you've been waiting for an answer.

"I was told on September 28 that I would likely receive an offer next week. Just wanted to check in and find out if that offer is still in process."

Old 10-13-2020, 06:59 AM

The director was on a weeks leave so I get that he wasn’t able to give the approval that week, but I should’ve heard week commencing 4th October.

Will follow up tomorrow.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:59 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Keep looking.

At this point you should be asking yourself why you are the one having to keep asking them for updates.

I have never had to contact a potential employer for updates on my status post job interview. They've always let me know whether they wanted to proceed or not. I don't believe the notion that constantly having to contact a company to see your job application status shows initiative. It just shows dysfunction.

A job that can't get this right is a job with red flags. Take the high road and keep looking. If they contact you back, great, if not, you moved on.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:41 AM

9,396 posts, read 8,363,704 times
I've been interviewing quite a bit lately and I can say without question that it is RARE to find a good HR team in any company. They are late with everything, they overlook details on your resume/application, they don't follow-up as they should, etc. I don't necessarily think this is a direct reflection on the company itself, and certainly not on the team you'd be working with (unless it's the HR team you're applying for I guess).

Personally, I would follow-up as Bo recommended above. Be gentle but direct.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:50 AM

Thing is, I need to know either way due to it being a relocation to another country so I need to sell my car, cancel my apartment contract etc. it’s also a good opportunity in terms of career progression and provides longevity of work during this pandemic.

I’ll follow up tomorrow and hope for a positive response.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:51 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Yes, I would definitely follow-up. It’s gone on too long, IMO without any official offer. Once a company likes an employee, after an interview, they usually don’t want to lose them to another potential employer. So, they usually move fast. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucadxb View Post
Thing is, I need to know either way due to it being a relocation to another country so I need to sell my car, cancel my apartment contract etc. it’s also a good opportunity in terms of career progression and provides longevity of work during this pandemic.

I’ll follow up tomorrow and hope for a positive response.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:54 AM

11,098 posts, read 7,159,415 times
I wouldn't keep at them. Yes, it will come across desperate (if that's not already the case). If you have difficult logistics, that's going to be your issue, not their's. If they get the impression you're squirming, they'll move you to the bottom of the list.

Probably better to focus on other possibilities where you aren't put in this position. Play it cool, lay low, and keep looking elsewhere.

I've had some companies follow-up literally months later. You really can't push them to meet your schedule.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-13-2020 at 09:03 AM..

Old 10-13-2020, 10:49 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucadxb View Post

What would you do?

What I've always done all my life.

Keep looking.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:57 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Follow-up, but keep looking.

Second guessing what is taking them so long isn't going to help. Perhaps the director took all last week to play catch-up. Maybe there was an issue that happened last week that needed their full attention. Regardless, you haven't heard. So following up is just that. As long as you know your worth, "looking desparate" isn't an issue.

All that said - just because they told you that HR was recommending you to be hired doesn't mean anything. If the director is the final decision maker, they would still need to make said decision. Thus - keep looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment