Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 01:06 PM

230 posts, read 230,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
This.
If your boss knows that you probably won't leave after being passed over, (assuming they don't want you to quit) then keeping you where you are is in the company's best interests because of the good job you do.
The answer is to be a bit more demanding without too demanding. A bit more confident without being too confident. A bit more of a go-getter attitude that they know, instinctively, that you will leave the company the next time if passed over and go elsewhere because sitting still is NOT FOR YOU.
Make sure they can see the underlined in your personality. Next time you'll have the promotion.

Totally! I have even seen promotions used as a tool to remove an under preforming manager from the team, only to continue to be an under preforming manager over a different team. I was told early on in my career, "Never let them think you need them more than they need you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 07:31 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
The fact you stated the manager said you lack confidence make me lean toward that you didn't do well in the interview.

Managers don't only look at how good you are at your current job but who has the skills for the new job.
The Interview can make or break each persons chances.

I've seen people go into an interview almost guaranteed they'd get the job but they did really badly when asked questions and were then passed over.

You can't look at is as a reward for doing good at your current job. Most hiring managers are looking at who would be best in the position they are hiring for. Someone that may be newer at the company may have skills from prior work that aligned we..
Also some people are really good at interviews.

If you don't have confidence in being a good match for the new job it will be hard to convince others you are the best choice.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:19 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mab264 View Post
Yes, my confidence is lacking.
I would rarely recommend someone leave before trying to fix the problem, but this is a tough one. Do you feel confident? Did you feel confident in the interview? If you think that's a valid criticism you'll need to work on that.

On the other hand, it's also a very subjective comment. And as one of the other posters mentions, once your boss and management attaches a negative subjective trait to you, it's hard to get rid of it and takes a lot of work and time.

You may be better starting fresh with a new job so you can make a new impression.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
What most of the posters are not accepting is, that there is more to management than being a good worker, and having more time on the job.

I spent my entire work life, usually in management positions, from in the Navy which I joined when the Army was drafting me to where I was division sales manager over western half of USA. I promoted a lot of people over the years, and just because you are a good worker, and have been there longer than others, does not mean you are the best person to be a manager.

It is the other qualities that most people do not understand, that make you a better candidate for manager, than time on job, and how good a worker you are.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:47 AM

908 posts, read 960,613 times
I agree just b/c you are good at your current job does not mean you will be good at a management position. I was hired 7 months ago, then promoted to management over others who had been in the same position as me for years. There was lots of resentment from those who did not get the promotion but I could objectively see why they were not "management material." They were very good workers, just lacked leadership qualities and vision for the company. This could be your issue. Either you have to accept you are in this role long term or look for a different position.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:41 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
I think I have all the reasons I need to leave my current job, but just want to get some opinions.

Hi all.

I've been working my current position for almost two years (two years in January). During that time, my feedback has been positive, and how I bust my butt. Over the last two years, I have taken on more work and tried my best tto do the best job I can.

During my two years, a promotion has come up three times. The first two times, I was written off. The third time, my boss came to me and told me to interview for it. I was excited, and I interviewed.

After about a month of hearing nothing, my boss set up a metting and told me I didn't get it. Okay, well it was really dissapointing, especially since I bust my butt and am doing more work than the other two people in my role (there are two other people in my same position, and I was assigned more of a workload than the both of them).

I find out today that the person who got the promotion was one of the two other people in my same position. He actually started a year later than me, and I trained him when he was onboarding. I had more expereince than him, not just in our current roles but overall.

Am I wrong to be upset about this? It kind of makes me want to accept I have no upward movement there.

What would you think?
Update your resume and find a better job. Simply because of the way this was handled. You don't encourage people to apply for a job you know you already have favorites in mind for the position. And as a manager if they don't already have someone in mind for the job, they are a crummy manager. Doing this isn't being fair, it is being rude and thoughtless. This is shabby treatment and I would look for another job. Some people have this misconception they need to stick around to impress poor management when those skills would be put to better use finding a better job and company to work for. This time, really do your homework to find a better company and expand your network to find people who work there so you can find out if you would like the management. Then ask one of them to refer you to the hiring manager.

A friend of mine didn't do this, and by the time the panel interview came along for a job at another company he told me his heart sank. He simply wasn't impressed with the management there and declined to pursue the role after that.

Old 11-01-2020, 03:20 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
I think I have all the reasons I need to leave my current job, but just want to get some opinions.

Hi all.

I've been working my current position for almost two years (two years in January). During that time, my feedback has been positive, and how I bust my butt. Over the last two years, I have taken on more work and tried my best tto do the best job I can.

During my two years, a promotion has come up three times. The first two times, I was written off. The third time, my boss came to me and told me to interview for it. I was excited, and I interviewed.

After about a month of hearing nothing, my boss set up a metting and told me I didn't get it. Okay, well it was really dissapointing, especially since I bust my butt and am doing more work than the other two people in my role (there are two other people in my same position, and I was assigned more of a workload than the both of them).

I find out today that the person who got the promotion was one of the two other people in my same position. He actually started a year later than me, and I trained him when he was onboarding. I had more expereince than him, not just in our current roles but overall.

Am I wrong to be upset about this? It kind of makes me want to accept I have no upward movement there.

What would you think?
First of all, don't take it for granted you are employed in a major recession. There are many people out there who wish they just had a job to pay standard bills like rent, auto loan installments, school loans, children's clothes, groceries, etc. Many people are out-of-cash and facing eviction or have been evicted. Mortgage foreclosures are at high risk with many months of missed payments. If you are still employed, be thankful you have a paycheck and some stability.

As for the promotion, it reads like it has gotten political with favoritism. But that is very common. I am a software engineer in IT. Usually, the pattern is that the good developers go into lead roles after a some peior of time. At a startup, it can be quick. In a large corporation it could take years. After the lead role is obtained, then management is often the next step. But in IT they are usually at high risk for layoffs. And as software engineers get into middle-age, they are usually viewed as technically obsolete and become at risk for layoffs. Ageism is rampant in the IT industry. The layoffs, denials of promotions, etc. have been brutal in my observations many times.

So, your situation doesn't surprise me. I have found that people who are "productive" may still not get promoted if management has a perception of some inability to get along with others. This is called emotional IQ. Let's say there are two developers, A and B. Developer A completed about 10 story points per month representing about 1000 lines of code in the past year and met all his deadlines. By contrast, developer B only finished about 7-8 story points per month and coded about 600 lines per month. But developer B has very good interpersonal relationships with the team: goes to lunch with management, senior engineers, marketing, business analysts, etc. He often goes golfing with them on weekends, and the general perception of developer B is a "Good guy with great interpersonal skills - a high emotional IQ". Meanwhile, developer A is very productive but perceived as a loner with poor social skills.

In that case, developer B is far more likely to get promoted. That's the cold reality I have seen many times. A classic, turn-of-the-century comedy film that turns such IT corporate politics into satire is "Office Space". In this scene, the "Bobs" decide to layoff an awkward introvert who is obsessed with a red stapler. But they decided to also layoff two good developers and send their jobs offshore. Meanwhile, they promote the unproductive developer because they like his personality. It was fictional and funny, but it also has realism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnJzct7h3Dk

Old 11-01-2020, 08:35 AM

4,848 posts, read 2,665,246 times
I'd be pissed and be looking for another job so you can tell your boss..

take this job and shove it..

Old 11-01-2020, 09:53 AM

596 posts, read 252,445 times
this thread has a lot of crap advice....honestly so let me simplify it for you lot cuz why not:
1. Worked for 2 years passed for promotion twice (expecting a promotion in 1-2 years um OK...)
2. Trained the new guy or girl for 1 year
3. Management tells you to interview
4. New guy or girl with less experience/ work ethic gets the position.

The OP literally stated he does 2-3 times more work than the avg employee and trains current staff. "Ask management what can I do bertydjhtg..." garbage advice. It isn't 1980s anymore.

What you need to do is keep your job until you find another one. End of discussion. The OP has clearly hit his/her glass ceiling so its time to move on.

Now the problem is you do 2-3 times more work and train others for free. Management will expect that to continue and lol ask you to help the "New Guy" in the future. You got 2 choices either suck it up collect your bonus not lose job OR flip the bird and decrease your productivity to match/ slightly above your peers. Don't do twice the work if you aint getting paid and if management asks why the dip, just retort you do more work the 50-60-70% of the staff. The political correct way of telling them to **** off and not get fired.

Just because its COVID doesn't mean you should be a push over negotiate your terms.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:58 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:

What would you think?
So, if you're thinking of looking for another job, don't quit your job yet.

Update your resume, start a stealth job search. This means don't tell anyone you are looking for a job.

You are a "passive candidate" and have an advantage in the job market.

Don't quit your job, employers discriminate against people who are out of work.

Once you get a better job, then you can quit this job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment