Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 01:15 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Yes I was in that situation 2 years ago when I was sick and had to use my sick days for all the time that I was out which was 2 months. Luckily I wasnt a person who abused sick time because if I was I would have not had any income because the STD doesn't start right away. That's when I found out the true meaning of sick days. For years I thought sick days was for whenever u wanted a mental day or had a cold but there are for when you are unable to work.
That is different though. This is a pandemic.

Also,a lot of jobs do not give sick days nor PTO.

How are they getting a paycheck while either out sick or on quarantine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 04:31 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
If an employee contracts Covid 19,how do they receive a paycheck for the duration they are sick?

A nurse told me you receive Worker's comp,but do you have to prove you contracted it at work?

You need to contact your manager and/or HR department and ask what the company policy is for that scenario. No one here would be able to answer that question.

Old 11-07-2020, 04:37 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That's when I found out the true meaning of sick days. For years I thought sick days was for whenever u wanted a mental day or had a cold but there are for when you are unable to work.
That's exactly how my previous employer views them, actually using the descriptor Long Term Sick Leave. Serious illnesses that needed ongoing care or a lengthy recovery.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:30 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
But if you do not,you are so out of luck?

That would be true for any illness, cancer or a heart attack come to mind, and both are more common than COVID.

I think there's a "feeling" that this should be treated as something "special" - and there's some support for that, since OSHA is pretty much saying you have to stay home - but there is no "law" compelling employers to support you.

So, yep, it can potentially suck for all involved.

NOTE: If YOU test positive for COVID - your SPOUSE cannot work for 24 days - EVEN IF THEY TEST NEGATIVE.

Think I'm wrong? Go read the CDC guidelines. While those are "guidelines" - OSHA's policy is to follow the CDC - that makes it more than a "guideline" for employers who don't want sued later.

If you're not fretting about 'death' from COVID - you should know that it can easily cost you your job. This policy hasn't changed in a lonnnnnnng time, so if you weren't aware of it - look in the mirror.
I hope you're still following the thread.

My granddaughters fathers GF was exposed to COVID, she tested Friday. I picked my granddaughter up from daycare Thursday and Friday, her father never called my daughter until Saturday that the GF was exposed after I was already there watching kids while my daughter ran out. He should have picked my granddaughter up from daycare when they found out she was exposed. He refused to pick her up when my daughter asked him to. We (my daughter, 7 year old grandson and I) all have weak immune systems. In addition, my grandson's brother was over because his foster mother had to work. So now more people have been exposed. My daughter is now taking care of grandson's brother because he can't go home until we know her results.

I'm tempted to call daycare to see if she was sent in today but my daughter warned me not to. I'm sure her father also went to work today. From what I understand the GF is sick. They live together.

Shouldn't they all be quarantining and not going about their day as usual or does that start when she's had a positive test? I'm especially concerned because she's actually sick with symptoms. I'd love to turn them in.

Last edited by Roselvr; 11-09-2020 at 08:50 AM..

Old 11-09-2020, 09:06 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Hi Roselvr - has anyone actually tested positive yet?

Old 11-09-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Hi Roselvr - has anyone actually tested positive yet?
Not that I know of. Her test should be coming back today.

I'm ticked because my granddaughter was sick Thursday until I dropped her off last night. She tries to cover her mouth when she coughs but she's 3. Had I known Friday, I wouldn't have picked her up from daycare or gone over Saturday.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:07 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
If the GF tests positive:

The father - if he works – must tell his boss, and let them decide. Not all employers are required to follow OSHA. The CDC policies are highly cautious – not always necessary.

You don’t say whether the granddaughter lives with mom – or with dad – only that you fetched her from day care. So YOU were not exposed UNLESS your granddaughter tests POSITIVE.
If your granddaughter tests positive – then YOU should quarantine for 14 days after you last saw her. If you see her again before HER 10 days is up – then YOUR 14 days starts over.

That’s IF she (the granddaughter) tests positive – which can only happen if you take her for a test. Otherwise, there is nothing to be done. If the GF tests positive – it is not possible for a “daycare” aged child
to avoid everyone - so it just kinds falls in the cracks. It’s why it’s not – and can’t be – a “law” or something. Obviously, if she (the granddaughter) tests positive, she cannot go to daycare.

Meantime - there’s no “turning them in” or anything like that. The CDC policies are guidelines – things you “should” do – but there is not really any teeth behind the mechanism. Yes, some anecdotal cases, but overall – it’s just impossible to enforce.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
If the GF tests positive:

The father - if he works – must tell his boss, and let them decide. Not all employers are required to follow OSHA. The CDC policies are highly cautious – not always necessary.

You don’t say whether the granddaughter lives with mom – or with dad – only that you fetched her from day care. So YOU were not exposed UNLESS your granddaughter tests POSITIVE.
If your granddaughter tests positive – then YOU should quarantine for 14 days after you last saw her. If you see her again before HER 10 days is up – then YOUR 14 days starts over.

That’s IF she (the granddaughter) tests positive – which can only happen if you take her for a test. Otherwise, there is nothing to be done. If the GF tests positive – it is not possible for a “daycare” aged child
to avoid everyone - so it just kinds falls in the cracks. It’s why it’s not – and can’t be – a “law” or something. Obviously, if she (the granddaughter) tests positive, she cannot go to daycare.

Meantime - there’s no “turning them in” or anything like that. The CDC policies are guidelines – things you “should” do – but there is not really any teeth behind the mechanism. Yes, some anecdotal cases, but overall – it’s just impossible to enforce.
Thanks, you answered my question. Appreciate it very much. Her father has custody. Long story but he did my daughter dirty when she gave birth. Daughter recently moved out of here, I expect her to regain custody within the next year.

The guy just irks me because he put us all at risk. He had the nerve to call my daughter last night when I dropped her off to him to say "you had to get your mother involved now"? She told him I've already been around her for days.

I'll be shocked if he has the decency to text me about the GF's test results. My daughter doesn't think he's going to tell her.

I'm worried about the daycare because they're not even wearing masks at this one like the one he took her out of by us. There were only 3 kids total in that class. There's over 20 kids in this one.

Old 11-09-2020, 12:01 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,371 times
For us, I imagine COVID-19 would be treated like any other long-term illness. First, you use your remaining sick days. Then, you use your remaining vacation days. After that, you apply for short-term disability (60% of pay, I think). A doctor's note would be required by that time.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:12 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
For us, I imagine COVID-19 would be treated like any other long-term illness. First, you use your remaining sick days. Then, you use your remaining vacation days. After that, you apply for short-term disability (60% of pay, I think). A doctor's note would be required by that time.
And you have to jump on the STD right away because it takes so long to start
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment