Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 01:42 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Agreed.

Not every trade is extremely physically demanding.
Plumbing = On Your Knees
Electric Work = Slim spaces requiring flexibility
Iron worker = Heat tolerance
Roofing/Construction = All Elements, Heat , Cold and Wind

Maybe HVAC is a bit more cushy, but doesn't pay as much.

Most trades you're on your feet all day. What trade isn't????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 09:43 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzy1228 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjr27_K8SWc

Just heartbreaking....but I do remember this happening during the recession of '08 as well. For those of you who are older and working, how are you protecting yourselves??
I turned 50 last year - a dinosaur in my field of software engineering. But I dealt with it by earning multiple graduate degrees in recent years to keep me very up-to-date on technology. I also workout a lot at the gym. My hair is still dark (luckily). I am not graying noticeably or balding. So, the excess of graduate degrees and rigorous workout regimen have kept me "employable" as a guy who doesn't seem technically obsolete or older in his 50s. My coworkers don't seem aware I am 50. One was very surprised when I told him that. I actually got together with them one night for a gaming session on Xbox - lol. I'm a veteran of Pong, Asteroids, Super Mario, Halo, Far Cry Series, and Assassin's Creed. I routinely hike up Piestewa Peak in Phoenix with a weighted backpack. I usually ran half marathons in AZ but the pandemic postponed that. Exercise helps to slow down aging if done strategically.

But getting an advanced degree isn't easy while working. I am not married with children. I think it would be too difficult if I had been married as a father. It's a pattern of a long day at work then more graduate studies at night with numerous videos, assignments, reading, projects, etc. But after all that time the technical skills have really maximized. So, I reactivated my dice account this week and got a ridiculous amount of phone calls and emails from tech recruiters - the most I have ever gotten. I am being pulled all over the country for different jobs while still at my current job. It's bizarre. There is a pandemic recession but in some niche fields of IT the economy is still roaring. Go figure. I focus on test automation, API services, database ETL, and SQL. I know Java, Python, ReactJS, Angular, Swagger, UML, etc. I also learned how to navigate the political tension within a project that is very common. In other words, if two factions of workers don't get along on my team, I learned how to actually stay in the neutral zone and get along with both. It goes a long way in staying employed.

I've seen the other extreme though. I was unemployed for months in the recession of 2001-2002. I graduated into a recession in 1991 and lived at home with my parents for almost a year. I've seen both ends of the spectrum in not being in demand to being in very high demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment