Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 01:53 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,316 times

Advertisements

I agree, I tried to never complain and always appreciated the gesture, especially if it was any amount of money or a gift card.

However, sometimes I can see it. Like, at my old law firm I worked for, paralegals and staff had their bonuses, profit sharing, overtime, and promise of a yearly raise all taken away. Attorney's got to keep all that (even though they, in pre-litigation personal injury did less than the paralegals). Last year for Christmas, attorneys got a handsome Christmas bonus of a few thousand dollars each. Paralegals and other staff only got a free bag of caramel popcorn that almost fit in the palm of an average hand. I didn't disagree with the complaints that went around.

But in your post, I see your point. In some instances, I can see the complaining too.

Old 11-21-2020, 04:03 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
The only time I complained about something like that is when I had to work the shift during our departments holiday dinner at an "upscale" venue where dinner was 30+ dollars a plate. (they also paid for a guest to attend) Our manager gave the two of us working a 5 dollar "voucher" for a meal at the company cafeteria.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:02 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Or they're correct and it's not a gift, it's an insult. Along the lines of "let them eat cake or leaving a 2 cent tip at a restaurant to teach the server a lesson." It shows how little the employees are valued. If the company is really that hard up for money, it's better to tell the truth to employees and give nothing than to give a "2 cent tip."
I guess how one perceives it is up to them. But there's a big difference between giving a two-cent tip vs. $20 IMO. I don't think any executive/BoD is sitting around the table going - "let's F our employees this year by giving them just $20 - they should realize they need to work harder when they see this..."

It is unfortunate that people start having expectations like this. I don't think I would call it being entitled... but this happens all the time. I hosted a company luncheon a few years back - it came out to about $25 per person (my own money BTW - but they didn't know it), and I remember hear grumblings that it was a waste and they should have just been given the cash instead.

There was another time where we gave out about $100-$250 each year, but in a down year (this was around 2008 RE bubble), we only gave out about $50. There were loud complaints. And one even got really mad because they had already spent the money (or had planned on where they were spending it).

At the end of the day - a Christmas bonus/gift is just that. Something that shouldn't be expected. Sure - I'm not expecting anyone to be super grateful with $20, but see it as an insult?

Just my .02 of course.

Old 11-21-2020, 06:23 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
If I heard someone complain about getting $20, I'd tell them that if they don't want it I'll be happy to take it off their hands.

We never got any sort of holiday bonus, but our company always treated us to a very nice holiday lunch, on company time. If we got any bonus, it was based upon our annual performance review. Half of it was based upon company/department performance as a whole, and the other half our personal performance. It could be quite substantial in some years ($2,000-10,000).

Old 11-21-2020, 07:49 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I guess how one perceives it is up to them. But there's a big difference between giving a two-cent tip vs. $20 IMO. I don't think any executive/BoD is sitting around the table going - "let's F our employees this year by giving them just $20 - they should realize they need to work harder when they see this..."
I don't think anyone sits around thinking that. No, the pity is they actually think they're being generous. For several years in our award program, they actually solicited donations from various local businesses (think McDonald's gift cards, free haircut). They call you up on stage and read this announcement of your accomplishments "saved two million dollars off a $10 million program" etc. And they present you with a gift certificate good for a Big Mac as your bonus or a gift bag of Bath and Body works samples for the ladies. And to top it off, you either had to pay for your own dinner or your coworkers chipped in to pay for you. It became so embarrassing people begged their boss NOT to nominate them.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:15 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,781,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I don't think anyone sits around thinking that. No, the pity is they actually think they're being generous. For several years in our award program, they actually solicited donations from various local businesses (think McDonald's gift cards, free haircut). They call you up on stage and read this announcement of your accomplishments "saved two million dollars off a $10 million program" etc. And they present you with a gift certificate good for a Big Mac as your bonus or a gift bag of Bath and Body works samples for the ladies. And to top it off, you either had to pay for your own dinner or your coworkers chipped in to pay for you. It became so embarrassing people begged their boss NOT to nominate them.
Now that would be insulting. I remember when my mother worked for tektronix. If you came up with a method, process, program or idea that was implemented. You received 10% of the savings.

I always felt they should gave been given more, as the company continued to save money every year. But that was a well liked program.

I should mention, we do get profit share in regards to low rejects/returns. Plus attendance bonus. So like I said I'm treating this gift as a nice gesture of my company..

Old 11-22-2020, 07:15 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,974 times
This is a Thanksgiving "bonus"? Most companies don't even have them. My husband worked for one company that gave him a gift card for a turkey under some dollar amount; I don't remember what it was.

Our turkey this year was just about exactly $20... Butterball, 99 cents per pound!

Old 11-22-2020, 07:20 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
It's a gift. You are supposed to be grateful. If you feel the company is cheap, find another company to work for, or better yet, start your own company and give out huge bonuses for every holiday.

These ungrateful people ARE being paid a wage/salary, right?

Old 11-22-2020, 07:54 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
It's a gift. You are supposed to be grateful. If you feel the company is cheap, find another company to work for, or better yet, start your own company and give out huge bonuses for every holiday.
It's been a rough year mentally and economically for a lot of people, and many businesses are struggling. Holiday parties are cancelled this year. So this workplace decided to do something, even a little thing, for their employees. If there are people complaining, they can give their $20 to someone for whom that amount is a bigger deal.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:15 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Another option is to donate the gift. I’ve donated many work gifts. I received a large ham when I was single. Donated the ham to the homeless shelter. Received a free large Turkey when I was single. Gave it to a poor relative. One year I received a fleece blanket that rolled up and closed with Velcro to form a bed roll with a carry handle stitched to the blanket. Donated it to the homeless shelter. A $20 gift card could help a very poor family, especially one who lost their home to a fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment