Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 03:17 PM

838 posts, read 565,590 times

Advertisements

They'll probably miss you but i don't think they'll care enough to be broken-up about it, Specially now in which everyone is just lucky to be employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 05:48 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Generally speaking, while happy for you and your new opportunity, they will need to pick up the slack of what you did, so that is what makes them unhappy. Again, not your problem.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:15 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
In less than 6 months, they won't remember your name without significant effort.

Sorry, but it's true. We ALL think we are way more important than we are. Especially at work.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:46 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,221,727 times
a. not a problem
b. you will be forgotten very quickly. out of sight, out of mind.
c. if people are upset it's usually because they are jealous that someone is getting out while they are still stuck there

Old 11-29-2020, 11:47 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
In less than 6 months, they won't remember your name without significant effort.

Sorry, but it's true. We ALL think we are way more important than we are. Especially at work.
yup. and i'd say its more like 6 days.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:18 PM

17 posts, read 22,416 times
Should you tell closer workers before your manager tells them? I already told one who is a close friend, but I'm not sure if I trust the others. I only have one week left Lol ~ even though my manager has known for 1 week (I did give 2 weeks' notice).

Old 11-29-2020, 01:10 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman12771 View Post
Monday, my co-workers of eight and a few Indian colleagues will find out I quit. My boss already knows and was disappointed but agreed it was a good opportunity for me.

The good news is, they're finding out the Monday of my last week (told my boss last week but didn't get to tell the others because of the holidays and PTO). I already told the co-worker I'm closest to, and he congratulated me and was happy for me. However, there is lady that thinks we're close (she texts me on my phone and on Facebook, usually stupid and offensive political stuff). She also ALWAYS comes to me to fix her problems and mistakes. I have not broken the news to her LOL. Do I tell her before she hears it from my boss?

Any reason to worry about the reaction of my colleagues? This is my first time quitting a professional job.
No body is going to care that much. In 1 week, they won't even remember your name. Everyone is just going to care about your workload not being assigned to them during the replacement stage for your role. Some might be cheeky and ask for a raise with your departure.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman12771 View Post
Should you tell closer workers before your manager tells them? I already told one who is a close friend, but I'm not sure if I trust the others. I only have one week left Lol ~ even though my manager has known for 1 week (I did give 2 weeks' notice).

It doesn't matter. Tell them if you like. It sounds like you're thinking it's a bigger deal than it is, that they will be upset or hurt to not hear it from you first.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm assuming you're not a teacher. If you are there will be a cohort of colleagues who will criticize you for "deserting" them and the students. Some will spread rumors that you got arrested, are in rehab or suffered a drug overdose. One or two administrators will tell the students the reasons if you left for medical reasons.

Hopefully you're in a more professional career.
Thankfully, yes, it definitely sounds like a more professional environment I work in as that would never happen, ever!

Old 12-14-2020, 12:13 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
In my experience, when someone leaves, it's a big deal for a day or two (especially if they were fired or left in a huff) but then quickly forgotten about. Everyone will move on and it'll be like you never even existed at that company. So don't worry about your coworkers, they'll be totally fine.
Yes, and after 2 weeks your name won't even come up in conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment