Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2021, 05:52 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times

Advertisements

So I'm in the midst of interviewing with two jobs.

Job 1:

Pros:
More in line with what I want and my career path.
Provides experience in a critical line of product I've never had which I really need to advance in the future.
Corporate position.
They will match my salary expectation and will include some relocation expense.

Cons:
They are up for sale. They've been up for sale for about two years. Meaning, things could change. They are a gigantic worldwide company mainly working with government contracts.

Job 2:

Pros:
Supervisor position.
Pay is 25% more than Job 1.
Utilize new technology to gain a good quick marketshare.
Really good benefits.

Cons:
Startup company, about 5 years in. They have alot of good news and potential but I've dabbled with startups before. I know alot of the numbers look good on paper but in reality they aren't producing a profit. And, there is alot of figuring things out.
It's within an industry I exited three years ago. So going back to this industry will make it even harder to get back out if I were to go back in.

The way I see it, Job 1 has better long term potential despite the possibility of major change if/when the sale occurs. Even if its just for a year or two, I would have the needed experience I've been lacking and a good reason to be back on the job hunt if a new owner cuts my role.

Job 2 would be more financial secure but I'm nervous about losing flexibility in my career path if it doesn't work out.

I'm a bit torn so I'm definitely open to suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 07:26 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Well, job 1 sounds like no one wants to buy them rightness, when you're talking billions to buy out a company, you could be laid off.

Job 2 sounds odd, 5 years in with no profit? Usually start ups are good if they last 5 years.

Job 1 sounds good, but approach with caution

Old 02-27-2021, 08:08 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Well, let's put it this way-- it seems like your major "con" about each job is uncertainty about the future of your employment there, right? One might get bought out and you could get laid off; the other could fold and you could lose the job. So, ignoring that aspect since both have a risk and that may not be something to choose by-- which job would you rather have? Is the "25% more" at Job #2 an amount you actually need for living expenses, or would either have you living comfortably and the extra 25% is just a "nice to have" amount? Is there a promotion or raise potential with Job #1?

Old 02-28-2021, 06:43 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

I'm a bit torn so I'm definitely open to suggestions.
Did either of them offer you the job?

If not, it doesn't matter. Keep applying for jobs.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:31 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Well, let's put it this way-- it seems like your major "con" about each job is uncertainty about the future of your employment there, right? One might get bought out and you could get laid off; the other could fold and you could lose the job. So, ignoring that aspect since both have a risk and that may not be something to choose by-- which job would you rather have? Is the "25% more" at Job #2 an amount you actually need for living expenses, or would either have you living comfortably and the extra 25% is just a "nice to have" amount? Is there a promotion or raise potential with Job #1?

Job #1 is definitely more in line with what I want to do long term wise. I wouldn't be as bottlenecked with future options as Job #2 is within a specific industry. So if I do get laid off in a year or so, I can do more if that makes sense. Job #2 doesn't translate as well into other industries despite being a higher level position.

I'm relocating to a cheaper area with both jobs (CA to TX) so the 25% would be great but not needed. Job #1 is matching what I'm making now. Promotion, not sure but raise I'm confident.

Job #1 has provided an offer whereas I'm set to do a second interview with Job #2 later this week. Job #1 is requesting an answer the day before my second interview for Job #2.

I'm strongly leaning towards accepting the Job #1 offer but it's not an easy decision. I'm at about 70% sure.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:49 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I agree that #1 looks to be the best long-term choice.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:59 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times

Old 03-02-2021, 07:55 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Job #1 is definitely more in line with what I want to do long term wise. I wouldn't be as bottlenecked with future options as Job #2 is within a specific industry. So if I do get laid off in a year or so, I can do more if that makes sense. Job #2 doesn't translate as well into other industries despite being a higher level position.

I'm relocating to a cheaper area with both jobs (CA to TX) so the 25% would be great but not needed. Job #1 is matching what I'm making now. Promotion, not sure but raise I'm confident.

Job #1 has provided an offer whereas I'm set to do a second interview with Job #2 later this week. Job #1 is requesting an answer the day before my second interview for Job #2.

I'm strongly leaning towards accepting the Job #1 offer but it's not an easy decision. I'm at about 70% sure.
Read again what you just posted. It may just be me but it seems like your answer is pretty clear. It sounds like all Job #2 has going for it is more pay-- which you're not sure you might not work up to some day with Job #1 anyway, and at any rate, you're not losing anything if #1 pays the same as your current job.

(Not to mention, #1 is a bird in the hand... what if you decline that job and then don't get #2?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment