U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 07:36 PM

12,455 posts, read 6,807,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I always thought another good job for him would have been night stocker in a retail store.
Do they still do that? They always seem to be stocking the shelves while I'm trying to shop in the middle of the day at my grocery...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 08:22 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,132,167 times
Something I just thought of is I suppose you could consider it working alone if you can have an online store (Ebay, Etsy, etc), which allows you to mostly deal with people via email, filling orders & purchasing products to resell.

Of course, if it doesn't pay the bills, it's just an on-the-side hobby... you've got to be good at marketing to let others know you exist. But, I've known a few folks who said they knew people who've successfully done this. One was a woman in NH who did well selling very plain, folk dolls she made herself... didn't take long to put them together & I'm stunned people bought them, as they were so bare bones... no faces drawn on, burlap dresses with a rope tie/hair & the like. But, she sold thousands of them.

I also heard about someone in MA who sold antiques online. He hired someone to post pics to a website, write descriptions & arrange for shipping. Apparently, this guy had a knack for just finding great pieces by combing through secondhand stores, picking up sidewalk disposals & going to estate sales. He still has to come in contact with sellers, but he spent his time doing something he loved... searching for antiques. I have no idea where he marketed himself but my friend said he made $100K/yr.

Old 04-12-2021, 10:54 AM

11,741 posts, read 10,905,878 times
Writers have bosses for sure.

Hairdresser/barber.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Hairdresser/barber.
A service job isn't working alone. I don't work at it, but I'm still a licensed hairdresser/esthetician. Your bosses are you clientele... some very demanding. It also requires 1K+ hours of schooling, depending upon state, passing a state board (written & practical) & licensure. Barbers have even more education. Schools, which I'm unsure are operating now (in some states, many have closed down, stranding students with partial education, no refunds & no license), are $30-40K/yr. Odd for a career where most make $23K/yr if working FT (check BLS stats).

You either work for a low hourly wage at "chop shops"... those $20/cut walk-in places like Great Clips, Fantastic Sams, etc... usually $8-10/hr before taxes... sometimes up to $12/hr for a stylist/manager. Not all are great tippers, especially those looking for any stylist to cut their hair for $20, where $$ is their main concern... some can't afford to tip.

Or, you rent a booth (chair) in a salon for a flat fee each week ($150-500 depending on salon/state/location), which requires clientele.

Or, you have your own shop that you rent/own, which requires a clientele.

Or, there are now cosmetology malls (Sola is one), where you rent a fully equipped room ($450/mo for a top floor is the cheapest I've seen... unsure of hours you're allowed to operate, but it's not 24/7)... once again, you need a clientele, although walk-in traffic is allowed, but your competition is literally completely surrounding you on multiple floors, so no doubt, the higher rent shops situated near the front door garner most of that traffic.

I wouldn't recommend that as a career to anyone unless you own a home, it's zoned commercial & you can afford to build a small, 1-chair salon/barbershop in your basement... after your $30-40K of education, if not yet licensed. You could slowly build a clientele & continue working PT well into retirement... if you have the clientele. It might be a good decision, if already licensed, a homeowner who can build a home salon & you're the only pro for miles & miles around, so most of the town stops in.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:38 PM

7,052 posts, read 8,267,025 times
Day Trader. Plug in, tune out. Never ever have to speak to a soul nor interact with anyone.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:43 PM

5,383 posts, read 9,066,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Does he work for an employer, even though his job is fairly hands off or does he work for himself where he initially had to market himself to find a lit of clients to work for?
I think he was a 1099. It was a pretty big complex so it was steady work. His parents also owned a bunch of rental properties he painted for them.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:17 PM

While not working completely alone (few can... I think Ted Bear found 1 of the only ones... day trader), computer coding/programming is a more solitary job... at least when I was a programmer, it was, once given your assignment. As someone else stated was his/her situation above, one of my brothers is a Cobol programmer & has worked from home for the last 15-yrs. He has little contact with anyone... bosses once in awhile via email, but of course, had to build up to that. He even relocated from Philly to FL & was able to keep his job. Still when I was programming in an office, I sat behind a floor to ceiling cubicle wall (worked on confidential systems) & rarely saw people... so it was a very solitary working life. Today, the environment might have more contact with others, with Covid distancing, of course.

It's my new path, as well... I'm going to learn new languages to return to it by end of year... I need a new career path & loved programming (software development, as the kids are calling it nowadays). You don't need to go to school today, like I had to decades ago... there are free online resources like Udemy & Code Academy, where you can test out learning a free language (Ruby might be an easier one to test) to see if you like it. Some is simple, some complex. My nephew was 9 when he began learning languages. He liked it enough that he decided to become an engineer when he's graduated from high school.

You can also attend one of the many bootcamps for coding, if you'd like. With Covid, some are fully online & all take 3-6 mos. Google search them... many are in the $6K-30K range. A few promise it costs nothing if you cannot find a job in 6-mos of graduating. I've programmed before, so I think I'll be good learning on my own, but if you've little to no experience, perhaps a more structured environment is best for you.

Here's an interesting article on what are the most popular languages now:
https://bootcamp.berkeley.edu/blog/m...ing-languages/

Okay, I'm out... fresh outta ideas. Good luck, OP.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I think he was a 1099. It was a pretty big complex so it was steady work. His parents also owned a bunch of rental properties he painted for them.
I see, cool, TY. Kind of changes the dynamic when family owns the biz. Lucky position to be in. Good for him.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:25 PM

14,383 posts, read 16,204,763 times
I’ve built my career on my writing skills. I currently work from home, and yes, I have a boss, but given my seniority and experience, he tends to defer to me. It’s almost like I don’t have a boss in some ways. I COULD make a career as a freelancer, but it’s hard, and I like benefits and uncomplicated tax forms.

I have a number of plans of what I would do should I lose my job, but they are all less than ideal. I’m just putting money in my 401K and looking to retire as soon as is practical. I work from home, even when it’s not a pandemic, so there’s that too.

My job is stressful and demanding. I spent 6 months working as a freelancer, and that COMPLETELY stressed me out beyond anything at my current job. It’s very uneven, requires tons of paperwork and necessitates lots of hustling. I was a shark when I was a freelancer - always in motion because I was never sure when the work would dry up. I have friends who have successfully built careers as freelancers, but they all come from money or have spouses with stable jobs. I’m a single woman and my only parent has dementia, so I’m taking care of him and HIS finances.

You’ve got a nice chunk of savings. If you don’t like your current job, maybe find something that pays less but appeals more.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I’ve built my career on my writing skills. I currently work from home, and yes, I have a boss, but given my seniority and experience, he tends to defer to me. It’s almost like I don’t have a boss in some ways. I COULD make a career as a freelancer, but it’s hard, and I like benefits and uncomplicated tax forms.

I have a number of plans of what I would do should I lose my job, but they are all less than ideal. I’m just putting money in my 401K and looking to retire as soon as is practical. I work from home, even when it’s not a pandemic, so there’s that too.

My job is stressful and demanding. I spent 6 months working as a freelancer, and that COMPLETELY stressed me out beyond anything at my current job. It’s very uneven, requires tons of paperwork and necessitates lots of hustling. I was a shark when I was a freelancer - always in motion because I was never sure when the work would dry up. I have friends who have successfully built careers as freelancers, but they all come from money or have spouses with stable jobs. I’m a single woman and my only parent has dementia, so I’m taking care of him and HIS finances.

You’ve got a nice chunk of savings. If you don’t like your current job, maybe find something that pays less but appeals more.
May I ask what you write (don't reply if it's too personal)... or at least the subject?

I admire what you've done. I love writing, have done it for years (personally) & am distressed that I've been turned down for a few content writing jobs recently, which I'd have loved. I could do the job well, but I think they felt I didn't fit in with the very young culture... too bad, cuz I'd have loved it.

It's amazing that you've succeeded. Well done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment