Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 03:50 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,719,651 times

Advertisements

For 20 years, I had a boss who didn't care what I did as long as I brought in money and my co-workers had no interest in my work and I in theirs. It was my dream job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 03:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
The only job i ever had that allowed me to work alone was when I was 17, in 1969. I don't know if such jobs still exist, but I worked for a guy that restored mannequins for the major department stores. I had the key to the shop, and worked Saturdays, while he worked M-F. On Fridays he would leave some work with notes, and I would do body filler (like on cars) and sanding, some fiberglass work, then rattle-can primer ready for him to spray the color when he returned. He paid me $5/hour which was amazing for the day, when minimum was just $1.30.

An ideal job for you would be drawbridge attendant, but that has to be a hard one to get. Just sit there all day and push a button when a boat comes.

Old 04-12-2021, 04:08 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,996,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
For 20 years, I had a boss who didn't care what I did as long as I brought in money and my co-workers had no interest in my work and I in theirs. It was my dream job!
May we ask which job title or industry?

Old 04-12-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The only job i ever had that allowed me to work alone was when I was 17, in 1969. I don't know if such jobs still exist, but I worked for a guy that restored mannequins for the major department stores. I had the key to the shop, and worked Saturdays, while he worked M-F. On Fridays he would leave some work with notes, and I would do body filler (like on cars) and sanding, some fiberglass work, then rattle-can primer ready for him to spray the color when he returned. He paid me $5/hour which was amazing for the day, when minimum was just $1.30.

An ideal job for you would be drawbridge attendant, but that has to be a hard one to get. Just sit there all day and push a button when a boat comes.
Impressive, Hemlock. I have an ex-bf who was hired as a teen to carve Christmas characters out of styrofoam for store displays. He was also hired by a car company at age 12 (I forget which) to draw (by hand) pics of cars. No idea how they found him.

Today, he's a homebuilder.

I always found it amazing that someone had that talent, seemingly by nature, not schooling, particularly at such a young age, such as yourself.

I'm younger than you, but I do recall my 1st PT afterschool/summer job at age 13... $2.23/hr. It was an increase from $2.10 & I thought I'd hit the jackpot.

Thanks for your story.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:31 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,363 times
Consider finding a higher-paying job. When the pay is high enough, you'd do anything, boss or not.

If the pay is too low, even without boss you won't want it.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:24 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
I had that "leave me alone" job until fairly recently. A private office, everything done online/electronically, an old-school hands-off boss who trusted me to do my job and treated me like an adult, only as much interaction with my coworkers as I wanted. Then we got that new breed of young supervisor who micromanages just to make himself relevant and pad his own resume, and work became sort of a nightmare. Then COVID and WFH happened, and I was once again in my happy place, working alone with no supervision. Our recent recall to the office is prompting my early retirement (just can't take being hovered over again). So I'll be looking for a similar "leave me alone" PART-TIME job soon!

Old 04-13-2021, 09:11 AM

841 posts, read 552,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Agreed. To the OP, I've known several guys who drove... 2 locally to deliver bread/dairy products to stores, the other a long-distance furniture hauler. You can take a driving class for a few months for a few thousand (just googled it & the average cost now is $6K), since you need a CDL. So, if you're a poor driver, you can be taught how to drive safer & better.

My friend who drove long-distance was trained by his company. They sent him out on the road with a partner who trained him for a few months before he was trusted to drive alone. All did it for a couple of years in their early 30s 'til they figured out which course to take next in life & all made $45K+.
My husband recently made the switch to driving a truck (in his 40s). All you see are jobs wanting people with their CDL. But, they want people with 12-24 months of driving already. We found a school through a company. If you made it through the school, not only was it free, but you got $1000, and you should have a job waiting for you with them. Then there was a sign-on bonus as well. After you get your CDL, you go out with a trainer for 28 days on the road. Then you make one more short trip with the boss before they give you your own truck. Being gone so long at a time wasn't necessarily what he was looking for, but we looked over all of our options and going through this school with this company and then working for them 1-2 years seemed like the best start. After he gets that under his belt, then he can look into local or dedicated runs if he wants to do that. Or if he wants to stay with long haul, he can decide if he wants to stay with this company or look into another one.

His class started out with 30 and only 4 finished when he did. 4 more had the opportunity to finish the next week. Everyone else had been cut. (They had evaluations along the way.) If you aren't a good driver, going to a private school or some kind of training first might be important.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
My husband recently made the switch to driving a truck (in his 40s).

His class started out with 30 and only 4 finished when he did. 4 more had the opportunity to finish the next week. Everyone else had been cut.
Congrats to your husband!

For the OP, found this... worth a look.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/w...165421688.html

"West Virginia is opening up its arms — and importantly its wallet — to lure in those likely to be working from home for some time after the COVID-19 pandemic.

The state announced on Monday it would give people $12,000 cash with no strings attached to move to its confines. Also included is one year of free recreation at the state's various public lands, which it values at $2,500. Once all the particulars of the plan are added up, West Virginia says the total value to a person is $20,000."

Old 04-13-2021, 03:21 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Professional hit-man. It's best if you work alone, the fewer people who know what you are doing, the less risk you have. Get paid cash (or other valuable consideration) up front and never even have to meet the client. Good gig if you have the stomach for it.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:26 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Retirement unless your spouse, if you have one, is a micromanager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment