U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,668 times

Advertisements

I have misdemeanor prescription drug charge and a petty theft from same occurrence. I have a clean record other then that. I went through a dark time 3 years ago. Now, I started as a temp at a medical billing and they really liked me these past 3 months and decided to hire me full time. I signed the offer letter and then they send me the background info request for the criminal history. They had never asked me before so I didn’t tell them. Now I have to go to hr in morning with my boss to discuss it. Does this mean they will let me go? I have proven that I am dependable and a very hard worker. What information do I tell them? What can they ask me? Do they already have all the details?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 03:40 PM

5,808 posts, read 6,037,269 times
[mod note] Not an Idaho-specific topic. Thread moved to the appropriate forum with a two-day re-direct. [mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-15-2021, 04:35 PM

4,134 posts, read 1,713,269 times
When it comes to background checks, honesty is the best policy. Hide something and it will come back to bite you in the butt.

If they ask you about criminal history, tell them.

If you need to explain, just tell them you went through a dark period in your life, and you have overcome. Tell them you have proven yourself to be dependable and trustworthy, and that's evidence that you have overcome.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:10 PM

11,501 posts, read 12,949,651 times
I'd be honest, but don't make it bigger than it is by going on too much about it. Just state what happened and say how sorry you are it happened. People give others a chance when they know they've learned something from it and want to move on from it.

Old 04-16-2021, 01:06 PM

613 posts, read 647,246 times
Did this happen in the same county your working at? Usually they check those counties. Employers are most concerned with felonies, so if it's a minor misdemeanor offense, it probably won't be cause for much concern. What did the lawyer do for you representing the case? Did it start with serious charges, and then you took a plea deal?

Old 04-16-2021, 01:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
35,902 posts, read 65,351,220 times
It does depend on the job and employer, some don't even do a background check. Those that do usually look for red flags raised by the opportunities of the job. For example, a store might not like the petty theft, and a law enforcement agency, factory with dangerous equipment, or trucking company might not like the drug charge.
For medical billing work it doesn't seem to be an issue, unless they have a blanket ban on hiring anyone with any record. Here HR runs the background check after the provisional offer has been accepted, and the hiring manager will be contacted to make the decision if borderline. Best of luck on it.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:00 PM

24,177 posts, read 15,312,745 times
Can I work in the medical field with a larceny misdemeanor?

Old 04-16-2021, 08:38 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,175,421 times
I'm dubious that the OP will return to check on these answers, but with a misdemeanor in most cases it's up to the employer. The fact that they are calling you in to ask about it is a good sign. They want to be reassured that it was a one time thing and that you were at a different point in your life, but you have changed.

I interviewed a great candidate one time, but she came back with minor drug charges 10 years in the past. My managers said it didn't bar her from employment with us, but I could still reject her if I didn't feel comfortable with it. I chose to hire her and she turned out to be great. Since it was 10 years in the past, I didn't even ask her about it.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:04 PM

3,268 posts, read 1,296,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberhall987 View Post
I have misdemeanor prescription drug charge and a petty theft from same occurrence. I have a clean record other then that. I went through a dark time 3 years ago. Now, I started as a temp at a medical billing and they really liked me these past 3 months and decided to hire me full time. I signed the offer letter and then they send me the background info request for the criminal history. They had never asked me before so I didn’t tell them. Now I have to go to hr in morning with my boss to discuss it. Does this mean they will let me go? I have proven that I am dependable and a very hard worker. What information do I tell them? What can they ask me? Do they already have all the details?
This story doesn't make sense. How did you get this temp job without a background check to begin with? Temp jobs now not only require a background check but drug testing too.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:37 AM

3,827 posts, read 2,672,539 times
Too late to get an Expungement? Your attorney should have at least informed you about that in regards to future employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment