Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 08:25 PM

208 posts, read 198,940 times

Advertisements

Okay yall Im serious about quitting my job (dont worry,i have three years of expenses set aside) and am really interested in going "Lone Ranger" for the rest of my career as I believe that's when I perform best.I'll get the ball rollin' and give three examples.1)Writer (I toyed with the idea of writing back in my early 20s and have always flirted with going back into that world).2)Radio tower contractor (an ex neighbor does this job for a living and promised me that he would teach me on the job because he needed an assistant but it still intimidates me).3)"House-flipper" (LOL I know this is considered a somewhat "sleazy" job in some circles but the money is great and I don't NOT see myself doing this .So any more suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 08:30 PM

8,343 posts, read 4,591,022 times
Trucking was kind of that way. Make no mistake, you definitely have bosses to answer to (as well as fairly heavy legal burdens), but day-to-day, you pretty much make your own schedule. I didn’t talk to my boss for weeks at a time, and usually then only to ask a question or report problems. It’s pretty self-directed in a lot of ways, you just have to worry about meeting your deadlines, and not getting tickets or involved in accidents. Accomplish those last three and it’s a bit like not having a boss at all. And that’s life as a company driver, owner-operators are even more free that way.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:06 PM

208 posts, read 198,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Trucking was kind of that way. Make no mistake, you definitely have bosses to answer to (as well as fairly heavy legal burdens), but day-to-day, you pretty much make your own schedule. I didn’t talk to my boss for weeks at a time, and usually then only to ask a question or report problems. It’s pretty self-directed in a lot of ways, you just have to worry about meeting your deadlines, and not getting tickets or involved in accidents. Accomplish those last three and it’s a bit like not having a boss at all. And that’s life as a company driver, owner-operators are even more free that way.
You know its funny you mentioned that because I always kind of envied truckers for their freedom especially when working dead end jobs in my 20s.The only problem is Im a notoriously awful driver and am a huge scaredy cat when it comes to being behind a big rig.I have to add I love seeing big rig driving videos on youtube,i cant get enough of those.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:49 PM

12,101 posts, read 16,994,987 times
What is your situation?

Man, I'm really thinking of quitting too, like soon, I'm still working ... East Coast time Friday night.

Inspire me if you could.

Honestly, I know some people who had good professional jobs who opened their own business. That is kind of the way to go. People say it takes a lot of guts, but the people I know who have done aren't exactly the biggest risk takers I know.

I don't have any ideas, and I'm sure not opening a business in what I have my experience in...

Old 04-10-2021, 07:35 AM

18,487 posts, read 15,447,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
Okay yall Im serious about quitting my job (dont worry,i have three years of expenses set aside) and am really interested in going "Lone Ranger" for the rest of my career as I believe that's when I perform best.I'll get the ball rollin' and give three examples.1)Writer (I toyed with the idea of writing back in my early 20s and have always flirted with going back into that world).2)Radio tower contractor (an ex neighbor does this job for a living and promised me that he would teach me on the job because he needed an assistant but it still intimidates me).3)"House-flipper" (LOL I know this is considered a somewhat "sleazy" job in some circles but the money is great and I don't NOT see myself doing this .So any more suggestions?
House-flipper is not an "alone" job since you have to meet sellers and buyers to go through the house.

If you are fine with sometimes working with people as long as you are solo most of the time, maybe look into forestry. The trees will never bicker about anything!

Old 04-10-2021, 10:11 AM

10,581 posts, read 5,556,091 times
Patent prosecution is a fairly "alone" and "solo" job. Patent agents do this almost exclusively; patent attorneys can do this and focus on this, but some patent attorneys mix in other things that are not solo (litigation, licensing, etc).

For patent prosecution, the routine is you have an "in box" and an "out box." The "in box" has invention disclosures from inventors. The "out box" goes to the US Patent & Trademark Office, and sometimes to inventors.

You take an invention disclosure out of the "in box", read it carefully, spend time researching the subject matter area to become familiar with it, create a list of relevant questions, and schedule a time to discuss them with the inventor (telephone, zoom). Then, you sit down and spend weeks writing the actual patent application. You put it in your "out box" to be sent to the USPTO, and then reach for the next invention disclosure in your "in box." Every now and then, you get a written communication from the USPTO show up in your "in box" and you address the issues & questions raised, stick the replies in the "out box" and repeat.

The above is a simplification, of course, but you get the idea.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:43 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,188,454 times
Quote:
no boss
Can I roll my eyes VERY LOUD? This phrase is cliche at best and a lie at worst.

Every employee has a boss.
Every entrepreneur has multiple bosses - every client or customer is their boss.

You want to not have a boss? Get 100 years of expenses saved up. Only the independently wealthy have no boss.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:50 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,188,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
.1)Writer (I toyed with the idea of writing back in my early 20s and have always flirted with going back into that world).
What kind of writer?

You expect to write the Great American Novel? Good luck with that. Unless you write something that crams itself into the Best Seller list for 6 months in a row, you're going to be starving.

Quote:
2)Radio tower contractor (an ex neighbor does this job for a living and promised me that he would teach me on the job because he needed an assistant but it still intimidates me).
This choice, you have an advantage. You have a connection and you can get trained in it. Overcome your fear and you're ready to rock here.

Quote:
3)"House-flipper" (LOL I know this is considered a somewhat "sleazy" job in some circles but the money is great and I don't NOT see myself doing this .So any more suggestions?
You can't do this alone, so "lone ranger" ain't happening here. In addition, you are putting your money at risk.

I've seen lots of flippers who buy a house and oops, there are more problems than planned, and you're forced to sell at a loss.

Or the market crashes. In the '08 market crash, there were flippers STILL HOLDING ON to houses they were trying to flip in '12. Are you able to withstand that?

Old 04-11-2021, 04:01 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,037,079 times
Often these situations cant be "found", they have to created or accidentally discovered.

Somebody signs your timecard, if you work for wages. Best of luck finding a "cool boss"... they are out there but I couldn't tell you how to find them. But I always have, in pieces over the years. And we've all done our time working for control freaks and madmen and micro-managers. But sometimes you get lucky.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:48 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,722,444 times
None of the above. Writing is a hobby - you won't earn a penny from it, most likely. House flipping? Fuggedabout it! You need skills, big time skills, and money. You need to deal with contractors, agents, etc.

I don't know a thing about building radio towers, but beware of getting exploited for free labor by that ex-neighbor. But this might bear looking into. Do some research. Also make sure you get paid a fair rate for your time, working for the ex-neighbor.

It's too bad about your driving, because trucking would be perfect for you - very isolated, money can be decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment