Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 08:03 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,230,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
True unemployment has requirements that you show you are actively searching and you can't turn down a job offer and continue to receive unemployment. So, it's technically not a "choice". If you're talking about the other govt. money, that also wasn't a choice and you got it whether employed or not as long as you didn't exceed the income requirements (I guess I'm lucky that I did - I didn't get a dime though many employed people seemed to clean up!).
Yep. Been there, done that.

Generally, recipients of unemployment benefits are required to document a prescribed number of weekly contacts demonstrating they are actively seeking new employment. Exceptions are for those whose previous employers classified their job loss as temporary, and expect to re-employ that person within a set limit of time. Also, job search requirements were suspended for a period of time last year (at least in my state) due to COVID, but the search requirements were reinstated last Fall, IIRC. A claimant must accept an offer of employment, as long as it offers a pay rate within a certain percentage of your previous job. A declined offer may get reported to the state unemployment office, even if the claimant kept their contact with that prospective employer "off the record".

Unemployment compensation in my state is usually maximum about 50% of the claimant's previous wage base, up to an established limit. The stimulus payments for claimants, (the last of which are ending about now) did allow some claimants (especially at the lower end of the wage spectrum) to get more on unemployment, than they did when they were working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 09:59 PM

146 posts, read 77,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And many people found that they no longer wanted to work for lousy pay, in lousy conditions, for lousy hours under lousy management. So many people are clutching their pearls that the low wage workers they used to take advantage of no longer value work. Why should they, when work doesn't value them?

When I was in college, my parents said that going to college was my full-time job, and they didn't want me doing work that would distract from that if I didn't need to (like an internship.)

Exactly. I remember in other countries like France they want you to focus on your schooling instead of working and schooling. That's the way it should be anyway.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
bobsell - I am exclusively referring to young people. I'm aware that people of all ages work these jobs. I'm not asking about them - so my "assumption" is not one at all - it's the very question I am asking.

- you require experience for entry level jobs.-

I never said that. where did you read that? I think you mis-read what I said "just like" - I meant - the same as - not affection for - so - I hire people with no experience all the time. Some work out - some don't - SAME AS experienced people.

It's not a game - the first five ads I just looked at on a popular job site don't give salaries either. A game is sitting at home, broke, jobless, starving, because you won't apply for an ad simply because the pay isn't mentioned. That's a stupid reason to lose your home or your wife or whatever. I have money. I want to give it to you. But I don't have to. If we both just "quit" now - I have your money in my pocket, and you still have nothing. That's a stupid game. I've proven for the past 18 months I can do my job AND your job simultaneously, and save myself all kinds of money - I just prefer not to. But I will, obviously, if you don't want to apply. Fine with me.
My question tho is do you "train" the inexperienced entry level person? Or do they already come with experience?
If this has been answered then fine I will take direction to where that post is.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:12 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,874,326 times
That's a fair question Marla - but - we train them. They do not, normally, come with experience. Most common example of this is college intern. They then (if they choose or are able) go on to become full-time employees here. Depending on the skill - we definitely take people with zero experience and train them, although the definition of "experience" gets prickly here.

If I hire you to build boxes, and you've never built a box, and you've never seen a drawing, I can teach you those things. But if you've never seen a hammer or a nail or a drill or a saw...or a box....- eh, then teaching is a bit more complex. Do you want to call that "experience?" Some would. (I'm using the box as an example. Don't take it literally.)

So - I guess in the strictest sense - SOME experience outside of your couch is ALWAYS required, even to operate a deep fryer. That's not what I mean when I say: No experience necessary.

If you want to make yourself hire-able to the greatest number of fields - then expose yourself to as many experiences as possible. Maps, hammers, telephones, money, oil changes, lawn mowers, boats, camping, guns, airplanes...and thousands of other things - are responsible for most of the skills anyone will ever need. Even socializing is an important skill - so that when faced with a client you can make them feel welcome.

I can teach you to drill a hole. Lots of other things are impossible to learn once you're an adult.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:16 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,138 times
Quote:
I can teach you to drill a hole. Lots of other things are impossible to learn once you're an adult.
I think employers want a well rounded 1960s entry level employee in 2021. It doesn't exist. I'm only a bit mechanical myself because it runs in my genetics. My grandfather on my mother's side was a self taught train and car mechanic after gaining some experience in the army. My great grandfather on my father's side was also a mechanic that repaired Model T Fords, old refrigerators and stoves. Self taught from age 13.

The conditions today where everything is automated already don't breed ingenuity in humans anymore. It also depends on when the light switch flips. I was always good with computers from a young age but wasn't really handy with anything else until about age 30. The brain doesn't stop developing until age 25. So it's from my observation most people are not going to reach full intellectual potential until age 35, in an environment where like I said many things are "already figured out".

Old 09-09-2021, 07:58 AM

53 posts, read 40,378 times
There are very very few teenagers as a proportion of total population in major cities. Birth rates have been on the decline for a long time and immigrants have been the main engine of growth for most of the advanced/ developed world. These kids grow up in different areas and feed into different industries. I have no doubt fast food locations will continue to drop.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:28 AM

524 posts, read 152,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceuponatimeinGina View Post
There are very very few teenagers as a proportion of total population in major cities. Birth rates have been on the decline for a long time and immigrants have been the main engine of growth for most of the advanced/ developed world. These kids grow up in different areas and feed into different industries. I have no doubt fast food locations will continue to drop.

I hope you are right! And good riddance to them!

Old 09-15-2021, 11:31 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,874,326 times
I think employers want a well rounded 1960s entry level employee in 2021. It doesn't exist.
(Late getting back to this, still relevant...) I still think "well rounded" is just a sign of the times - in 1960, well-rounded meant something different than today. our combined list of essential life skills should really not be that different.

never heard a dial tone? can't drive stick shift? can't send a fax? unaware that a wall outlet will kill you? can't make coffee without a K-Cup? can't change a baby diaper? don't have a land line? You need to get out more.

Practically every factory and office environment uses "old phone" technology. A dial tone. No "SEND" button.

85% of cars in Europe - and Asia - are stick shift.

Fax is highly secure and is the ONLY way to communicate with certain agencies, still today. Fax works WITHOUT the internet. And you get a receipt.

A landline NEVER needs charged, and works when the power is out. It practically never drops calls in case reliability matters to you...like for sending urgent faxes - the kind that get your payroll done.

I can make this list 20 miles long. I'm just pointing out - people arrive at the door with some of these skills, and that's great. But people also arrive with ZERO of these skills - and that's on their parents. Please don't be those parents.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
That's a fair question Marla - but - we train them. They do not, normally, come with experience. Most common example of this is college intern. They then (if they choose or are able) go on to become full-time employees here. Depending on the skill - we definitely take people with zero experience and train them, although the definition of "experience" gets prickly here.

If I hire you to build boxes, and you've never built a box, and you've never seen a drawing, I can teach you those things. But if you've never seen a hammer or a nail or a drill or a saw...or a box....- eh, then teaching is a bit more complex. Do you want to call that "experience?" Some would. (I'm using the box as an example. Don't take it literally.)

So - I guess in the strictest sense - SOME experience outside of your couch is ALWAYS required, even to operate a deep fryer. That's not what I mean when I say: No experience necessary.

If you want to make yourself hire-able to the greatest number of fields - then expose yourself to as many experiences as possible. Maps, hammers, telephones, money, oil changes, lawn mowers, boats, camping, guns, airplanes...and thousands of other things - are responsible for most of the skills anyone will ever need. Even socializing is an important skill - so that when faced with a client you can make them feel welcome.

Hmm. Ok then so you do some training alright fine.
Sorry for late reply. I just now saw there were more replies to this topic.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:49 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,813 times
Quote:
Yes, this been covered, a few (hundred) times - but my question is a slightly different angle.

If it's already covered - just post the link, I'll go there. It's not meant for debate. It's a sincere question.

I understand there are "reasons" for some shortage of employees - everything from benefits to career changes to covid fears - fair enough.

None of that applies to 16 - 18 year olds.

I've traveled much of the East Cost this summer - and from PA to FL restaurants are struggling. I mean fast-food. The traditional habitat of the 16 year old high school student.

Those people (16 year old HS students, I mean) are not collecting unemployment. They are not changing careers. They did not find a better job in management. And they did not retire. And (statistically speaking) very little COVID risk.

I understand why I can't find engineers or machinists.

I cannot understand why Arby's can't open their dining room due to lack of staff.

So - this is it? No kids are every working again? They just...gave up?
At the end of the day none of us are entitled to the labor of teenagers (children for that matter) or an Arby's dining room, it is what it is. I know the local Publix I frequent always has a sizeable amount of high school kids working every time I go and it is not school hours. Publix is known to treat their employees very well and have better benefits than most grocery stores, so I assume part of the reason is some of these teens are finding better employment options.

Let's not get started on the increased verbal abuse and sexual harassments that have increased since this COVID mess has started. Those things are messed up, but it's even more messed up when children are involved. With that being said, I know many teenagers who are out here working. If they are in better working conditions or working towards the career field they have an interest in, more power to them!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment