Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 09:43 AM

997 posts, read 709,774 times

Advertisements

Have you noticed this too? Is it a sign of the times? Do people have a low tolerance for stress at work?

I'm an RN working in a hospital. So many people complaining and wishing to quit or go part time. This is not even considering the Covid stress. Why? Unsafe workloads, working short staffed, tasks being piled on, and mean/uncivil co-workers. Bringing in agency and travel nurses who make 3 times or more than the average staff nurse. I hate to see new nurses, many of whom are in a 2 year "Residency" Program (they help repay your loans or cash bonus) absolutely sick with regret and feel stuck for 2 years.

Do you notice this in your field? Why are people stressed out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 10:13 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Why are people stressed out?

* employers with huge entitlement mentalities
* let's take 11 interviews to hire someone. This means existing people are wasting time on interviews and their workload piles up, and it takes forever to hire someone so workload piles up
* enforce that damn catch-22! No, we will not develop our people. We will only poach from other companies. We want OTHER employers to develop our people.
* non-stop panic mongering on TV and social media. The world is coming to an end because of COVID! We must lockdown AGAIN AND AGAIN! No human rights at all!

Old 09-03-2021, 10:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have had a number of retirements in the last few months, probably due to the prospect of returning to the office, despite our approval of hybrid 3 in office/2 home. We have an entry level position ($50-60k) that closed yesterday, and I have to go though 22 applications, which is more than I got (11) for a higher paying position last month. I suspect that the apparent end of the extra federal unemployment money is motivating people.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:34 AM

779 posts, read 423,853 times
A discussion I see a lot on here is how people who went to WFH during 2020, now are getting called back to office. Many say they won't go back and will find a permanent WFH job. But I'd imagine there are also many who will go back, but will be unhappy and stressed about it.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:52 AM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
A lot of people let COVID, and/or the "shadow" of COVID, haunt and ruin their lives. They spend way too much time watching the TV and the so-called "news", and fill their heads with garbage. Garbage-in, garbage out.

Others though focus on anything and everything that is still good, and are thankful. They spend time outdoors, read, listen to music, communicate with family, etc. and don't let life come to a halt.

Unhappiness is a choice, just as is happiness. As an analogy, we can drive a car in a reckless and careless manner, or drive wisely and safely. Our choice can make a huge difference, not only for ourselves, but for others.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-03-2021 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-03-2021, 11:13 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Have you noticed this too? Is it a sign of the times? Do people have a low tolerance for stress at work?

I'm an RN working in a hospital. So many people complaining and wishing to quit or go part time. This is not even considering the Covid stress. Why? Unsafe workloads, working short staffed, tasks being piled on, and mean/uncivil co-workers. Bringing in agency and travel nurses who make 3 times or more than the average staff nurse. I hate to see new nurses, many of whom are in a 2 year "Residency" Program (they help repay your loans or cash bonus) absolutely sick with regret and feel stuck for 2 years.

I think people are just less happy in general given the last few years. Be it politics, cultural, social, economics issues that's been affecting everyone. And some sectors are harder hit - specifically yours.

I've noticed that some people are just less patient and almost seem to be looking to argue/fight. On the flip side, there are also a lot of nice people out there that make you realize what's important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Why are people stressed out?

* employers with huge entitlement mentalities
* let's take 11 interviews to hire someone. This means existing people are wasting time on interviews and their workload piles up, and it takes forever to hire someone so workload piles up
* enforce that damn catch-22! No, we will not develop our people. We will only poach from other companies. We want OTHER employers to develop our people.
* non-stop panic mongering on TV and social media. The world is coming to an end because of COVID! We must lockdown AGAIN AND AGAIN! No human rights at all!
* are employees never entitled?
* how would hiring the wrong person due to lack of due diligence help this? What's the answer here?
* While I agree with this to a point - there needs to be mutual accountability here. At the end of the day - there are people who won't train. But there are also people who want everything spoon fed to them. The catch-22 is not just one sided.

At the end of the day - this isn't an employer or employee issue. This is a "society" issue. And I do agree that companies are better suited to lead these changes. And many do. Unfortunately, we tend to focus on those that don't. Which leads to your last point - we always hear the squeaky wheel, not the ones that are rolling well.

The biggest factor IMO is a lack of perspective. People/organizations are quick to complain and demand accommodations. But no one really tries to establish solutions that work for both sides.

There's been suggestions on this board to abolish at-will, but only for employers... seriously? Does that person really think that will help? If a company can't terminate an employee at-will (which doesn't exactly work like that, btw)...how much more due diligence do you think they will do before hiring then? Or do they think an employer's hiring practice won't change as a result (e.g.. going to contractors, outsource, etc.)?

Old 09-03-2021, 11:14 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post

A hospital RN during COVID doesn't understand why coworkers are stressed and unhappy?

Old 09-03-2021, 11:18 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I just work for a hospital system, nonclinical, and the burnout is apparent.

We are in the midst of our worst COVID surge. Hospitals are basically places of mass death now. Who wouldn't get sick of it?

Old 09-03-2021, 02:55 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,203,545 times
We are burnt out in my job because of constant push to be "agile". They are rolling out changes before they are tested and as a support person I get to deal with the fallout. Which NEVER ENDS.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:36 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,264 times
Last two jobs I've had have been very revealing of this trend.

At the job I had before this, there was too much work and not enough people, and they paid too lousily to attract decent talent. So they ended up with former bartenders and waitresses working in a professional office setting trying to learn accounting. I'm happy for those people to be able to move up, but the environment and culture was unsuitable for me. For those of us who were competent and expedient, more was expected of us and the pay was too low to justify staying there.

Now I'm a consultant, but I see the same thing with the client I work with. They have way too much work and not enough people to do it. So they are always slammed and work 50-60 hours a week just to keep their heads above water. In my entire 20 year career, I've never seen so many people slammed for time and burnt out at work.

This will surely be the next epidemic to follow COVID IMO. Already lots of stories out there of people quitting their jobs in droves and rethinking their career plans. I did it myself in 2020, but things have not gotten much better unfortunately in a lot of organizations since then based on my experiences and what I've read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment