Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 10:29 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times

Advertisements

Honestly this is nothing more than a rant.

I've just been hanging on by a thread for so long at work (I'm talking years). I eventually want to change industries one day. For now, I finally took a job that is outside of the area I currently work in. I've been at the same company and in the same function for going on 8 years now.

Upon getting and taking the job offer to move to another role, my replacement had already been identified. It's someone that was already on the project I'm on; as a matter of fact I had announced 'her' departure from my project just a month ago.

Now she is being brought back on to run the project instead of me. She is brilliant and has lots of experience and won't have any issues running things.

The issue is I'm on a very VERY high visibility project. The project has some aspects of it that are being done new and differently (think along the terms of outsourcing a huge portion of it but with me still overseeing certain important aspects) for the first time in my area. This means everyone is all hands on deck because if the new strategy we're doing for this project works it could change how the company operates moving forward.

~Two weeks ago my boss and I discussed my last day would be today. I have contacted her a few times regarding if she or I would make the announcement about my upcoming departure. She did not respond to me. I've been trying to meet with her for a week but both my and her (mostly her) schedule has been absolutely insane. I've scheduled 4 meetings with her between last week and today but they keep getting cancelled b/c of her availability. I am just very frustrated right now because I have looped in my replacement on all meetings and communications and I'm getting so many questions now about why I'm doing this so I've handled it in a PC way but the reality is we are always pushing this whole culture of being 'transparent' with everything yet it will not be announced that I'm leaving and I just want to know WHY. We literally had a yuuuuge weekly project call today and it just so happens the person replacing me will also have a new boss coming on; HER new boss coming onto the project was announced yesterday and today...yet my departure/replacement was not.

My 'new boss to be' in my new role reached out this week already stating that she was looking forward to meeting w/me and kicking things off next week but was having trouble finding open space on my calendar. I'm thinking 'yeah..because I can't cancel or remove myself from literally anything yet'. In short, I've been pushing for something new to get 'some' sort of relief from the pressure of the role I've been in; I know I'm being inpatient but knowing where I work this has the potential for me to now be in 2 jobs at the same time until the powers that be decide it's ok to finally officially cut ties whenever that ends up being. It just doesn't need to go like this as 1-our team is MEGA massive so trust me when I say it is 'not' critical I stay on another week or month or whatever, and 2-whenever I'm brought on as a replacement to someone else I always 'take the reigns' from the other person as fast as possible to start transitioning off but in this situation I can't quite do it. My replacement already knows the project since she's been on it before and I feel I'm SO close to finally leaving the stress behind that I've been having in this role for so long yet it feels so far away because the announcement IMO is what really makes it official and allows me to leave the current role behind.

Sorry for the rant. But man that felt good to just let out though.

Last edited by southkakkatlantan; 09-24-2021 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 10:42 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Unilaterally announce your departure from the team today. It's the only way you'll get to frame it. Who knows what reason or characterization will be given to your absence later?

Old 09-24-2021, 10:56 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I don't get the anxiety. If you're already planning to leave, and no one else is announcing it, just do it yourself and leave. Explain too that it had already been discussed and coordinated, so this isn't something new that just happened. Just draft up something that explains it well, politely and calmly, and move on.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I don't get the anxiety. If you're already planning to leave, and no one else is announcing it, just do it yourself and leave. Maybe the other person has issues, or is uncomfortable, or doesn't want to do her job, or (fill in the blank).
Well I do have to admit that I am great at putting pressure on myself..and stressing out.

However I feel it's a bit warranted as the anxiety comes from the pressure of doing both roles now...'until' the announcement is made.

I have tons of tasks and meetings and activities on my books for weeks to come. I can't cancel those discussions or remove myself from critical (often time-sensitive*) conversations related to our entire Team meeting key deliverables over the next several weeks as I am the 'go to' person as the project manager for this huge project so there are a lot of things running through me.

My organization is huge and both my boss and my new boss are veterans here so to speak (and likely comrades), so it would never be kosher to announce myself leaving and 'just go'; there's a chain of command with these sorts of things. So allow me to clarify that there is a plan to announce it actually; I'm just frustrated that it's not being done when it should be and it's not being communicated why. All I know at this point is I'm in [current role] today, but Monday I'll be in [current role] plus [new role] and trust me, 'that' will give a new meaning to work being crazy.

*To give one (very) small example, I'm the signatory for a certain huge system of ours to go 'live'/proceed today as the manager. I am literally the one that will wait around today until that's ready for my approval and that means if its in an hour or if it's at midnight tonight (yes, it could be). But these types of things are daily in my current role; I'm just not wanting to have to continue in this capacity into the next role when it should be handed off today so I can really kick off/give the new role my best and my full attention starting now/going forward.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:10 AM

45,324 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Are you leaving the company or just going to a different department?

At the end of the day does it really matter whether it's announced or not. In education the announcement of someone leaving was dependent on the teacher's relationship with the Administration. If good then there was a party/dinner. If not then most times it wasn't even mentioned.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Are you leaving the company or just going to a different department?

At the end of the day does it really matter whether it's announced or not. In education the announcement of someone leaving was dependent on the teacher's relationship with the Administration. If good then there was a party/dinner. If not then most times it wasn't even mentioned.
I'm going to another department.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:18 AM

Wow..so I actually just got a text from my boss. She said she is emailing my new boss about me staying on in my current role for longer. She thinks this plan would be fine since there will be a time period that "I will [just] be acclimating in my new role".

So yeah...

Come Monday I'm in two roles basically. Guess I gotta figure out for these times I'm double and triple booked which role I'm supposed to be prioritizing because there aren't enough hours in the day. The thing is, it doesn't make sense to operate this way because I have a replacement. Announce that I'm off now and let her take the reigns is all I'm saying. The replacement keeps contacting me throughout the day asking if I have any updates on the announcement because she obviously does not want to just overstep by unilaterally taking over managing/directing/delegating employees' activities when it hasn't even been stated that the Team will now be ran by her.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:25 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Come Monday I'm in two roles basically. Guess I gotta figure out for these times I'm double and triple booked which role I'm supposed to be prioritizing because there aren't enough hours in the day. The thing is, it doesn't make sense to operate this way because I have a replacement.
Sounds to me like they're using you. Trying to squeeze all you have for their benefit and dump more on your "plate". They're getting more from you, while you feel the heat of doing more. Sounds like a losing battle, and they don't really care for your health, as though you're a working machine.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:33 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Well I do have to admit that I am great at putting pressure on myself..and stressing out.

However I feel it's a bit warranted as the anxiety comes from the pressure of doing both roles now...'until' the announcement is made.

I have tons of tasks and meetings and activities on my books for weeks to come. I can't cancel those discussions or remove myself from critical (often time-sensitive*) conversations related to our entire Team meeting key deliverables over the next several weeks as I am the 'go to' person as the project manager for this huge project so there are a lot of things running through me.

My organization is huge and both my boss and my new boss are veterans here so to speak (and likely comrades), so it would never be kosher to announce myself leaving and 'just go'; there's a chain of command with these sorts of things. So allow me to clarify that there is a plan to announce it actually; I'm just frustrated that it's not being done when it should be and it's not being communicated why. All I know at this point is I'm in [current role] today, but Monday I'll be in [current role] plus [new role] and trust me, 'that' will give a new meaning to work being crazy.

*To give one (very) small example, I'm the signatory for a certain huge system of ours to go 'live'/proceed today as the manager. I am literally the one that will wait around today until that's ready for my approval and that means if its in an hour or if it's at midnight tonight (yes, it could be). But these types of things are daily in my current role; I'm just not wanting to have to continue in this capacity into the next role when it should be handed off today so I can really kick off/give the new role my best and my full attention starting now/going forward.

You've given them a chance to announce your departure. They failed to do so and now it's the last day. If they have a problem with you doing it then they should have done it by now. You say there is a plan so what is it?

So you are not leaving the company but simply moving from one team/project to another? Who has the authority to make this hsappen or not happen? I'd be going to them asking if you are transitioning as scheduled or not. You can't perform on both teams. Nor should you try as you will just end up looking like a poor performer to both teams.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Sounds to me like they're using you. Trying to squeeze all you have for their benefit and dump more on your "plate". They're getting more from you, while you feel the heat of doing more. Sounds like a losing battle, and they don't really care for your health, as though you're a working machine.
LOL I couldn't have said it better. You truly understand the scenario.

If you're reading a ton of anxiety in my posts it's because I 'am' anxious and the reason is because I thought this weekend I'd have a 'weight' lifted off of me. Meaning I took a step in the right direction I think (FINALLY) to get out of this high stress/high demand role I'm in, but now...I don't even know when I'll truly be able to disconnect from it.

I'm just SO burnt out and tired. I really don't have any more to give to this project or this role overall and keeping me on isn't good for me mentally because I'm so burnt out; I just need the replacement to be able to take over and the kicker is there is no reason why she can't. But they have to allow everything to run through her now by taking this first step of the announcement so the Team is now led by her and not me. Just like how I took over when I initially came on to this Team. In my opinion it's only fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment