Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2021, 02:14 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,385,869 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm thinking of joining Peace Corps somewhere in Europe, in relatively remote future. Can you please share your personal experience with this program?

What was your most essential discovery, most valuable conclusion you came up after joining the PC?

Would you do it again?

Is it important to be religious to have a good experience, or it doesn't matter?

Are living conditions tolerable?
What did you do?
Did you feel you achieved something for the host community?
Do evenings and weekends belong to you, or you are expected to work longer than normal hours?
What was most shocking?

What was the most pleasant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 09:13 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Have you looked at the currently covered countries in Europe?

Old 09-26-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Have you looked at the currently covered countries in Europe?

Yes.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:27 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,793,748 times
What country are you looking at?

Old 09-26-2021, 06:25 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,321,730 times
When I applied for the Peace Corps back in 2003, I had two choices, either do agriculture in Africa or teach high school chemistry in Asia (probably in China) and I turned both down. I wanted to do agriculture in Asia, but didn't have that option.

The thing about the Peace Corps, unless you have some very specific skill set, i.e. working in health care or economics or business, where they might need you in a specific role in Europe, you really can't go to a recruiter and say I want to volunteer in this specific European country the Peace Corps is in. And even then, they might send you to Africa to do finance or Asia.

They will try to match your skill set with various openings they need around the world, and your choices might be choosing between, Africa and Asia, or Asia and South America, so be prepared to not have Europe as a choice!

Good luck in the process and let us know how it turns out.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
When I applied for the Peace Corps back in 2003, I had two choices, either do agriculture in Africa or teach high school chemistry in Asia (probably in China) and I turned both down. I wanted to do agriculture in Asia, but didn't have that option.

The thing about the Peace Corps, unless you have some very specific skill set, i.e. working in health care or economics or business, where they might need you in a specific role in Europe, you really can't go to a recruiter and say I want to volunteer in this specific European country the Peace Corps is in. And even then, they might send you to Africa to do finance or Asia.

They will try to match your skill set with various openings they need around the world, and your choices might be choosing between, Africa and Asia, or Asia and South America, so be prepared to not have Europe as a choice!

Good luck in the process and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What country are you looking at?
Greece, Ukraine, Albania, Montenegro, Romania

Old 10-04-2021, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Greece, Ukraine, Albania, Montenegro, Romania
Looking at the Peace Corps website, the only European countries they are in now or will be in, are:

Ukraine (Education, Community Economic Development, Youth in Development)
Moldova (Education, Community Economic Development, Health)
Kosovo (Education, Community Economic Development)
Montenegro (Education)
North Macedonia (Education, Community Economic Development)
Albania (Education, Community Economic Development, Health)

Old 10-05-2021, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Looking at the Peace Corps website, the only European countries they are in now or will be in, are:

Ukraine (Education, Community Economic Development, Youth in Development)
Moldova (Education, Community Economic Development, Health)
Kosovo (Education, Community Economic Development)
Montenegro (Education)
North Macedonia (Education, Community Economic Development)
Albania (Education, Community Economic Development, Health)

I'm fine with any of these countries. I was just interested in people's personal experience with Peace Corpse work. Looks like either nobody wants to share, or wrong forum area.

Old 10-05-2021, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I'm fine with any of these countries. I was just interested in people's personal experience with Peace Corpse work. Looks like either nobody wants to share, or wrong forum area.
I understand, while I do know people that served in the Peace Corps, all served in either Africa or South America. Even going back to the 60's when the Peace Corps started, a would guess only a small percentage of total volunteers (10-15% maybe) got to volunteer in Europe for 2+ years.

Of course, someone's experience volunteering in the Peace Corps say in the 90's in places like Poland or Romania or Russia or the Czech Republic or Hungary is probably totally different than volunteering in the 6 European countries the Peace Corps is in now.

There are probably other message boards or forums out there or maybe even reddit, where you could find Peace Corps alums who served in eastern Europe, maybe even recently?

Another thing you can try is if you have been in contact with a local Peace Corps recruiter where you live now, they might be able to put you in touch with people that might have volunteered in Europe and you could possibly "pick their brain" about the experience.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment