U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2022, 09:21 AM

3,179 posts, read 7,330,880 times

Advertisements

I received the written job offer on 1/21 and I'm set to start on 2/21. I told the recruiter I could start on 2/14 but when she provided the offer it stated 2/21 as does everything else.

I was hoping to make use of my time off traveling but with the cold weather and covid its been difficult. I think I rather just start sooner now.

It's for a major company everyone uses so I'm thinking they push start dates way out so they can prepare everything. I finished all the background processes last week. That only took a few days as the recruiter stated it could take weeks which was why she pushed the start date.

However, I'm not sure if reaching out to start sooner is a wise idea.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 09:25 AM

4,606 posts, read 10,231,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I received the written job offer on 1/21 and I'm set to start on 2/21. I told the recruiter I could start on 2/14 but when she provided the offer it stated 2/21 as does everything else.

I was hoping to make use of my time off traveling but with the cold weather and covid its been difficult. I think I rather just start sooner now.

It's for a major company everyone uses so I'm thinking they push start dates way out so they can prepare everything. I finished all the background processes last week. That only took a few days as the recruiter stated it could take weeks which was why she pushed the start date.

More than likely they align start dates with pay periods (every 2 weeks in this case, presumably). Many large (and small) orgs don't start in between pay periods to keep payroll clean.

There is certainly nothing wrong with letting the recruiter know that you are available to start sooner, however don't push if they say no. Otherwise, enjoy the time.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:33 AM

19,392 posts, read 19,849,797 times
Yes, I think it’s fine to reach out to the recruiter and ask if you can start earlier.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:14 AM

11,348 posts, read 20,715,549 times
Sure, you can ask, just don't be surprised if they hold firm.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:21 AM

9,474 posts, read 19,401,165 times
I don't think there's any harm in asking, since the start date is exactly a month after the date you were offered the position it may just be SOP and there could be some flexibility.

But it's also possible that they want you to start the 21st because that's the day they actually need you to start so be prepared to accept that reality.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:35 AM

8,619 posts, read 5,633,215 times
A lot of the time, but not always, the start date is because of the pay period and they want you to start at the beginning of a pay period.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 1,565,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

It's a major company, it will take them at least a month to decide if you can start a week sooner. It's only a week. Just take the time off and enjoy the quiet. Time off doesn't mean you need to be traveling every minute.

Old 02-01-2022, 04:07 PM

3,179 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Good point about the payroll. I had to start a prior job a week earlier for that reason.

I emailed the recruiter asking on what type of remote equipment I should expect and then threw in I could start earlier if needed. Hopefully I'll know in a day or so either way.

Old 02-01-2022, 04:13 PM

4,606 posts, read 10,231,120 times
Side note, 2/21 is President's day and a holiday at many companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment