Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 09:50 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Happy to see Elon making the push to get people back. Our group has become so much less valuable since WFH started. Everyone seems focused on "I'm getting my work done", which is fine for the low-level positions that we hired to produce work, but for the management levels from whom we expect the big ideas, they are receding back into "producing work".

We've been interviewing outsourcing firms to completely eliminate the group since we can get that work produced much more cheaply, and at the same or higher quality level, for much less by employing foreign firms. It's disappointing, because we never would have considered this in the past due to the high value add created by the team.

WFH believers discount the value of "drop by" meetings, impromptu whiteboard sessions, team lunches and otherwise unplanned interactions, but that just happens to be where the value lies in many of the "thought" fields. Sure, a robot can produce work from anywhere, but people who make >$200k/yr don't make that kind of money for simply producing work.
I'm a "both sides" on this.

I've worked at home since 2020, mostly fine. When we went home at the first job, we had the same team we went home with for about a year. On a team of about ten, one retired, then two left. The only candidates we could get were entry to associate level, or cannibalized from lower level teams in the organization.

The more turnover we and are internal customers had, the worse performance got. Communication dropped off. The departing staff didn't document enough, so there were always "Easter eggs" and "gotchas." The customers didn't know established processes because the people who knew and developed them left.

I changed jobs, and have ended up with many of the same communication gaps and knowledge problems. For IT workers, I don't think they need to be in the office. With that said, once or twice a week helps keep people on the same page and actually trying vs. mailing it in. I've mailed it in for two years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 10:32 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Because by objective measures, actual measured productivity was up. Not just for individuals, but for the organization as a whole.

In large part because we were actually doing productive work rather than sitting in never ending meetings where so many managers fail to communicate what the failed to communicate yesterday. Now that we've been dragged back into the office, productivity is going down because now we have to spend huge chunks of the day going to useless meetings again.
Zoom meetings no less!

Old 06-03-2022, 06:45 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,507,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I think you all are missing the boat some. Musk really isn't that particular about where people work, he's using this guised threat to reduce headcount at Tesla and Twitter without actually laying people off. He's just trying to cut expenses without formally handing people pink slips.
Looks like you may be right. Tesla is in trouble and Musk is also worried about the economy. Posters have stated many times on these RTO threads, the bosses/managers are always looking out for themselves first. No surprise there.

Elon Musk is reportedly looking to cut the Tesla workforce by 10 percent

Tesla CEO Elon Musk wants to cut around 10 percent of jobs at Tesla, according to a report from Reuters. In an email to executives, he wrote that he has a "super bad feeling" about the economy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...44ffbb18e49918

Also, funny Twitter showdown between Musk and a CEO that supports 100% remote work.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...44ffbb18e49918

Last edited by motownnative; 06-03-2022 at 06:59 AM..

Old 06-03-2022, 07:23 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,166 times
Quote:
Because by objective measures, actual measured productivity was up. Not just for individuals, but for the organization as a whole.

In large part because we were actually doing productive work rather than sitting in never ending meetings where so many managers fail to communicate what the failed to communicate yesterday. Now that we've been dragged back into the office, productivity is going down because now we have to spend huge chunks of the day going to useless meetings again.
Again, if you and everyone's so productive why is the end result so poor? On average, across the board?

Old 06-03-2022, 08:17 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Again, if you and everyone's so productive why is the end result so poor? On average, across the board?
Where do you get that the result is poor? The data says the opposite.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:27 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Where do you get that the result is poor? The data says the opposite.
What data? I'm talking about quality of service/product vs. the cost.

Tell me what product/service is better today than it was before pandemic and remote work?

Old 06-03-2022, 08:30 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,222,501 times
Nobody is talking about the elephant in the room.

If you can do your job remote, you can live anywhere.

Talent can live anywhere - including third world countries with low salaries.

If an employer can hire someone remote, why not hire someone from a third world country at a fraction of the cost instead of all the first world workers currently working at home?

Remember: Sociopaths will sociopath.

Returning to the office will become a survival tactic for first world workers, and "remote jobs" will disappear in the first world.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:17 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
My employer for years resisted remote working it was allowed only after a lot of review by management typically one day per week. When Covid hit they were forced to go 100% remote for office workers. They told us we can stay remote, but every large department meeting I keep thinking they are going to reverse that decision.

According to this Elon Musk has demanded his workforce return to the office. Have any of you also be told to return to the office if so how many employees have resigned.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/01/tech/...ork-from-home/

I was going to post when I read about it yesterday but didn't have time. Whatever article I saw had a link to a really good tweet where some of the replies were from spouses of people who work from home saying their person drops the kid at school, at 9am has yoga for an hour, then they do something else for an hour, log into do work, then pick the kid up from school at the end of their day. They were surprised they were able to have so much free time, their person said their boss didn't care as long as they got their work done.

There's a WFH thread in the retirement section Retirees, Do You Believe People are Really Working From Home? that is pretty long. It's very interesting to read comments, and to see the time of the day that those pro-WFH replies are being made, during regular working hours, obviously some are WFH but also have time to be on CD. Some also posted during the day before WFH and COVID, obviously they were on their cell at work, or on a work computer that doesn't have a key logger. I've read articles where there are companies who have installed key loggers to watch their WFH people, they know exactly how many hours they are actually working using the computer.

I've never had a desk job where I could WFH, I always did a man's job such as pumping gas and other things at the family business, I worked for a plant nursery cleaning, potting roses, running a fork lift. Nothing where I could WFH. I wouldn't even have time to log in here during the day like some CD members do while working. There just wasn't time. I had too much to fill my day.

I honestly do not know what type of jobs everyone has that is WFH and if they are legit working better at home than in office.

I'm not surprised to see Elon's email, it was just a matter of time because other big names have also tried to bring workers back. I'll be interested to see how many people decide to stop working for his companies. I honestly don't feel he cares because he has others who will gladly fill the vacant roles.

In the tweet I saw yesterday, people thought back in office only applied to supervisor positions, it was sent to senior staff.

Found the article lol

‘Pretend to work somewhere else’: Elon Musk’s leaked email ends remote work privileges for Tesla staff

Old 06-03-2022, 09:49 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times
What exactly makes Elon Musk an expert in Employee management? He may be brilliant in other areas but I don't think he knows jack about this area...

Old 06-03-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
What exactly makes Elon Musk an expert in Employee management? He may be brilliant in other areas but I don't think he knows jack about this area...
He doesn't have to be. He is however a trend setter and this gives cover for all the other "leaders" to follow suit.

While there's no doubt there are professionals out there who thrive on working remotely, an average employee, even at top level companies has used these last two years not to necessarily improve themselves.

I've said this before, if it was in your employer's interest to have you working remotely they would have done so before the pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment