Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 07:45 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,467,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
I have sick pay and vacation pay just really need the time off from that week regardless

If you request time off but decide to call in sick anyways if your vacation request was denied what happens?
I'm retired from my own business. If I request time off but decide to call in sick I get to live with myself. Does that answer your question?

I'll state it more plainly. What are the ethics you can live with? Are you fine with an employer lying to you about your wages? Are you fine with lying to your employer because you want something?

What would happen for me is that I would have issues with myself. Most people would not. YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 08:00 PM

8,693 posts, read 3,883,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
At my company, this would not be an issue. I was talking about these other companies where it seems like they don't hire enough people to run efficiently if someone goes on vacation for a week.
What other companies are you speaking to, specifically? Obviously, if it were a problem, they wouldn’t be able to retain quality employees. In fact, various strategies to boost employee morale is a common theme; it does not involve denying employees their PTO. :-)

Old 10-14-2022, 08:04 AM

202 posts, read 144,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Next time, don't even ask for vacation leave; just call in sick before leaving for vacation.

Oh, and don't post it all over social media!
That’s why I don’t have Facebook or Instagram lol

Old 10-14-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
If you've tested positive, though, you can still transmit it even if you are fully vaccinated and boosted. My household (fully vaxed and boosted) got it this past summer. We all ranged from a sniffle for a day to 3-4 days of fever and feeling pretty sick. But regardless of that, those of us who work outside the home were all told to stay home from between 5 and 10 days, depending on company policy.
Maybe I can send a COVID positive picture to him? Anyways the school I work for takes that seriously so if I’m sick I’m ask to stay away regardless of what’s going on

Getting kids sick is worse

Old 10-14-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Who covers for you and does your work when you're gone? Are you comfortable about screwing them over? And do you have a plan if you get fired when you try to come back to work?
My IT Manager

I do it support for a small private school he’s new and I’m showing him a lot of the ropes because many times I been in that position to handling all tech requests since I was the only IT person for a while

Old 10-14-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Of course people deserve to take time off, but there are also certain times in certain fields where it doesn't work to take time off. Most accountants won't be taking any time off in March and April. Tech people might not be taking time before and after a software migration or update because of potential problems. So if the OP taking unapproved time off creates hardships for their colleagues or messes with the timeline of an important project, there might be consequences.
We aren’t allowed to take August off mostly because that when school starts and iPads and laptops need to be ready for students and staff

That’s understandable and I never plan anything around that time except in July lol

During the school year there’s events and I had to do many of those my self when we had no IT Manager but now that we do i need to attend a family matter that week . I ask for a week but I change the reason and re ask

If they don’t still approve it at this point then it is what it is and I will call off. I tried to get my boss up to speed and he’s catching up but he’s afraid he will get over whelm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment