Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 05:08 PM

828 posts, read 465,550 times

Advertisements

The company I retired from required you to talk to your supervisor who would then talk to HR/Legal if you wanted to do side work. ss20ts brought up what is probably a major reason for companies not wanting double-dip employees, being Code of Conduct issues. One of the things hammered home to us throughout the year was avoiding conflicts of interest and it's unlikely frontline pogues like I was, will know all about what does or does not apply, hence the requirements to go up the ladder. You can be putting your employer at risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 05:44 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
If someone is working multiple remote jobs, they are likely lying about the hours they work or inflating their time sheets. So it is not “just” having a side gig, it is about making false statements to the employer.

Old 10-24-2022, 05:54 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I think employees need to read their company handbook. Every corporation has one. They violated the company code of conduct which will get you fired pretty much everywhere.

Depending on their role in the company, they could be dealing with classified information and working for another company at the same time is a conflict of interest. This is beyond just having a second job.
Nope. No one is working remotely with classified information - that would be a violation of federal law . Well ok maybe someone is, but they could easily lose their clearance if it gets found out.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:21 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Nope. No one is working remotely with classified information - that would be a violation of federal law . Well ok maybe someone is, but they could easily lose their clearance if it gets found out.
Clarification: There are approved CSfC systems that enables remote employees to access classified material. The majority of my employees work in remote (both out of office and/or physically out in the boondocks), situations. When on a government project, accessing classified material is essential to their work. They have specific company provided laptops with only company provided hardware/software, accessing classified material only through a government approved portal. Just like in an office environment, the individual entrusted with this access is responsible for their own situation awareness to ensure only they or authorized individuals can view the material.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:09 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,147,602 times
I agree in general that I should not use the boss' time and resources for another venture. I shouldn't be loading unrelated work into his computer systems or letting my work for him get delayed by priorities from elsewhere. An inlaw fired a secretary who was running something like a payroll business, using his computers. So a virus coming along from that might infect his system.

A previous employer had a job foreman running projects for them at a local university. No one could ever reach him on the phone as he was running a catering business on the side and was forever using his phone for that business. People on the job always had to wait for him to finish his calls before he could deal with the job at hand.

I had a helper who was part of his family's restaurant business. He was forever getting calls in the middle of work. I put a stop to it when he was spotting me to back a large truck into the warehouse. All of a sudden, I no longer saw him in the mirror. Stepped out and he was on the phone with the restaurant. I told him he could quit taking calls at work or we would have a conference with the boss, who was also an owner. That put an end to it.

But we are talking Equifax, the master of snoops, the privatized CIA. How many people have had credit ruined by their erroneous information? My mother had a problem getting a cell phone years ago when the provider called Equifax for a credit check. They had questions. The clerk said "She is here, talk with her.". They would not speak with her, yet had no issues with holding up her affairs. I once worked for an insurance company who used Equifax and its predecessor, the Retail Credit Company. A customer might write in to ask why they were denied coverage. The company would reply that it was based on information from Equifax and that they should write to them. Naturally, the address given was a PO box. They would write to Equifax and be told the information was confidential. A person would have had to hire a lawyer to ever get the information being withheld.

Also, Equifax had its files hacked recently, causing security issues for thousands of people. They should clean up their own act before complaining about employees, unless employees caused some of these issues with their side work.

Old 11-01-2022, 02:58 PM

984 posts, read 442,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I agree in general that I should not use the boss' time and resources for another venture. I shouldn't be loading unrelated work into his computer systems or letting my work for him get delayed by priorities from elsewhere. An inlaw fired a secretary who was running something like a payroll business, using his computers. So a virus coming along from that might infect his system.

A previous employer had a job foreman running projects for them at a local university. No one could ever reach him on the phone as he was running a catering business on the side and was forever using his phone for that business. People on the job always had to wait for him to finish his calls before he could deal with the job at hand.

I had a helper who was part of his family's restaurant business. He was forever getting calls in the middle of work. I put a stop to it when he was spotting me to back a large truck into the warehouse. All of a sudden, I no longer saw him in the mirror. Stepped out and he was on the phone with the restaurant. I told him he could quit taking calls at work or we would have a conference with the boss, who was also an owner. That put an end to it.

But we are talking Equifax, the master of snoops, the privatized CIA. How many people have had credit ruined by their erroneous information? My mother had a problem getting a cell phone years ago when the provider called Equifax for a credit check. They had questions. The clerk said "She is here, talk with her.". They would not speak with her, yet had no issues with holding up her affairs. I once worked for an insurance company who used Equifax and its predecessor, the Retail Credit Company. A customer might write in to ask why they were denied coverage. The company would reply that it was based on information from Equifax and that they should write to them. Naturally, the address given was a PO box. They would write to Equifax and be told the information was confidential. A person would have had to hire a lawyer to ever get the information being withheld.

Also, Equifax had its files hacked recently, causing security issues for thousands of people. They should clean up their own act before complaining about employees, unless employees caused some of these issues with their side work.
This is unrelated to the theme of the thread, but something weird happened with my credit. We refinanced our house last year and my husband and my credit scores both came up in the mid 700s, which seemed fine/normal. The note on the thing the bank sent each of us was "accounts with derogatory payments" or something. So I pulled a copy of the credit report and there's nothing on tehre with a derogatory/late payment. And I would think if we had any late payments, we wouldn't have 740-750 credit scores. Right? I never pursued it. I actually forgot until I read this LOL. I should pull new copies now though to make sure.

Old 11-02-2022, 12:19 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
This is unrelated to the theme of the thread, but something weird happened with my credit. We refinanced our house last year and my husband and my credit scores both came up in the mid 700s, which seemed fine/normal. The note on the thing the bank sent each of us was "accounts with derogatory payments" or something. So I pulled a copy of the credit report and there's nothing on tehre with a derogatory/late payment. And I would think if we had any late payments, we wouldn't have 740-750 credit scores. Right? I never pursued it. I actually forgot until I read this LOL. I should pull new copies now though to make sure.

We had something similar happen. Credit reports were fine, but the mortgage guy said I failed because mortgage was 3 months late twice which is a lie. It was NOT on my report. BOA sold our mortgage, we paid BOA, they must not have credited it to the new mortgage company.

We have proof BOA took the mortgage money on time every month while we were waiting for the new companies info on how to pay it.

I will have to contact the mortgage guy to have him send me what he saw I guess. He kind of blew it off because my son qualified. We ended up renting instead.

Old 11-02-2022, 05:54 AM

984 posts, read 442,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
We had something similar happen. Credit reports were fine, but the mortgage guy said I failed because mortgage was 3 months late twice which is a lie. It was NOT on my report. BOA sold our mortgage, we paid BOA, they must not have credited it to the new mortgage company.

We have proof BOA took the mortgage money on time every month while we were waiting for the new companies info on how to pay it.

I will have to contact the mortgage guy to have him send me what he saw I guess. He kind of blew it off because my son qualified. We ended up renting instead.
Oh wow! Our refinance went through fine and we got a good rate, so I didn't really think to pursue it other than checking our credit reports. I kind of assumed it was just a mistake on the bank paperwork, since there were no derogatory marks listed on the reports themselves.

I can see how that can happen when one bank buys loans from another, though. I bet that was what happened with ours, as our original mortgage had been sold a few years before the refi. It didn't come up on our report at all and didn't affect our credit scores, but maybe there was some "hidden" thing saying we were late during that transition period when we may have paid the old company and that wasn't credited for some reason.

Old 11-02-2022, 06:01 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
Oh wow! Our refinance went through fine and we got a good rate, so I didn't really think to pursue it other than checking our credit reports. I kind of assumed it was just a mistake on the bank paperwork, since there were no derogatory marks listed on the reports themselves.

I can see how that can happen when one bank buys loans from another, though. I bet that was what happened with ours, as our original mortgage had been sold a few years before the refi. It didn't come up on our report at all and didn't affect our credit scores, but maybe there was some "hidden" thing saying we were late during that transition period when we may have paid the old company and that wasn't credited for some reason.

Anything is possible. As I said, it could not be seen on mine or my hubs credit report, it was just the mortgage guy saying he saw we were late.

Of course it had recently happened within the last 6 months of when we were going to buy a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment