Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 11:42 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

Just like if a person worked in the office but was "off" after the work day and the worker wouldn't be able to be contacted, or the employer practice was not to call/email...... when that person is working from home -- but OFF......even if they do get a phone call or emails, that worker doesn't have to answer them.

If you worked in the office and left for the day an email or call wouldn't get answered. It'd be waiting for your the next morning. Bosses can send an email any time they want. Those emails don't have to get answered until the person is "back on the clock."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Before COVID, I rarely got contacted off hours unless on-call. These days, with remote teams, all time is work time. I just got contacted on something about thirty minutes ago the on-call person failed to respond on.

If anything, we don't leave work at work now. It's a 24x7 thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

I learned that lesson the hard way - reply once after hours and it just opens the doors to more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 04:06 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I am not surprised this article came out of the NY Fed branch. NYC politicians have been desperate to get their office towers re-populated.
the office lessee pays the Politicians?

Our business pays the land lord, who in turn pays the taxes on the building.

The lease does not stipulate that if a certain percentage works from home that we ( the lessee) get a discount of any sorts.

If though you mean that certain office buildings are vacant due to non renewals from former tenants, then I can see the concern to bulk up tax revenue.

I think its going to be a "delay" in steady work from home when certain employees have "family" or "obligations" that intercept their work flow. Such as a dental appointment or walking the family pet.
I'm leary of most adults who say they work more effectively from home given the close proximity to "other obligations". Your are going to see the priority change when that is the location factor.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:38 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
I am sure they also didn't include the fact that when employees have minor illnesses they can work from home, reducing their sick time and reducing infecting others as well.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:41 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just like if a person worked in the office but was "off" after the work day and the worker wouldn't be able to be contacted, or the employer practice was not to call/email...... when that person is working from home -- but OFF......even if they do get a phone call or emails, that worker doesn't have to answer them.

If you worked in the office and left for the day an email or call wouldn't get answered. It'd be waiting for your the next morning. Bosses can send an email any time they want. Those emails don't have to get answered until the person is "back on the clock."
When emails are flying around for your management, customers, and vendors at all hours, the expectation is that everyone is available. No, it’s not in an employee handbook somewhere, but if you don’t abide by those cultural norms, you’ll get accused of “not being a team player.â€

Old 10-31-2022, 06:55 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I bet quite a few people don't do much actual work in the physical office either. I sure don't when I'm in the office, same difference to me.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/re...ds-11666110935
And that's the key. Most of these studies look at "hours". Which isn't really the predominant indicator of productivity/work in many white collar/office jobs.

Regardless - this is just click bait, IMO.

The article headlines "..employees are working less.." - but then present numbers of what people do with the time they saved from commuting. Hardly the same thing. There is a difference between 'working less" and "spending less time on work".

Old 10-31-2022, 09:46 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
And yet, life goes on.
Right??? The studies spend more time and money to "prove" something that doesn't need to be proven. Work still gets done. Life goes on.

Old 10-31-2022, 02:54 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Right??? The studies spend more time and money to "prove" something that doesn't need to be proven. Work still gets done. Life goes on.
Yep. This.

My work gets done, I do things around the house during the day, and I also work in the evenings at times.

And there we have it.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:23 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
And that's the key. Most of these studies look at "hours". Which isn't really the predominant indicator of productivity/work in many white collar/office jobs.

Regardless - this is just click bait, IMO.

The article headlines "..employees are working less.." - but then present numbers of what people do with the time they saved from commuting. Hardly the same thing. There is a difference between 'working less" and "spending less time on work".
Hours mean nothing because many hours aren't even tracked on time sheets.

I never track the time I spend checking on email on weekends just to avoid being blindsided on Monday, or after work hours. I got called on Saturday morning. because a M-F server temporarily ran out of disk space. A routine database maintenance job caused the disk space to cap, triggering an alarm, then the space was released when the job finished, twenty minutes later.

This wasn't urgent. It's a Monday to Friday server. No jobs run on weekends. The space cleared automatically. There was absolutely no need to call anyone on a weekend for it. The service desk, who received the low disk space alert, should have just emailed it to me.

This is the kind of toxic culture that is becoming entrenched while working remotely. Sure, some places did this in person, but it seems much worse now.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:48 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Hours mean nothing because many hours aren't even tracked on time sheets.

I never track the time I spend checking on email on weekends just to avoid being blindsided on Monday, or after work hours. I got called on Saturday morning. because a M-F server temporarily ran out of disk space. A routine database maintenance job caused the disk space to cap, triggering an alarm, then the space was released when the job finished, twenty minutes later.

This wasn't urgent. It's a Monday to Friday server. No jobs run on weekends. The space cleared automatically. There was absolutely no need to call anyone on a weekend for it. The service desk, who received the low disk space alert, should have just emailed it to me.

This is the kind of toxic culture that is becoming entrenched while working remotely. Sure, some places did this in person, but it seems much worse now.
I think I was saying the same thing....?

I don't know how this is a toxic culture as described. Seems like just an uninformed desk tech?
If it was an emergency and the person simply emailed... then it would be "why the hell did s/he just email and not call?". Perhaps a process issue...? But I'm only going by the info provided...

Old 11-01-2022, 06:57 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
They're also more productive at home, which is probably a big part of that. If folks are getting what used to be 8 hours of work done in 4 hours, then more power to them.

https://www.apollotechnical.com/work...e%20productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment