Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 12:06 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

I bet quite a few people don't do much actual work in the physical office either. I sure don't when I'm in the office, same difference to me.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/re...ds-11666110935

Quote:
The COVID-19 pandemic catalyzed a major shift in the way Americans live and work, and a new analysis from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York shows that workers in the U.S. are taking advantage of a widespread shift toward remote work to spend more time sleeping and engaging in leisure activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2022, 09:40 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Another well paid for anaysis suiting the needs of a purpose:>)

My team is 100% remote and there is no room for a slacker. Numbers do not lie:>) Production numbers that is.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:46 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,306,661 times
When the morning commute is removed, there is a lot of extra time for employee to sleep longer in the morning. 30-90 minutes extra sleep time rather than waking up before dawn due to long commute.

When the need to shower and dress up before work is removed from the morning routine, there is extra time for employee to sleep later in the morning. 30-60 minutes of time saved.

When the evening commute is removed, there is extra time for the employee to do leisure activities after work, instead of commuting home from work. 30-90 minutes time saved.

This extra time for sleeping and leisure is NOT taken during work hours. It's due to the time saved commuting before/after work and time saved getting ready for work each morning.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:49 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Before COVID, I rarely got contacted off hours unless on-call. These days, with remote teams, all time is work time. I just got contacted on something about thirty minutes ago the on-call person failed to respond on.

If anything, we don't leave work at work now. It's a 24x7 thing.

Old 10-29-2022, 11:33 AM

986 posts, read 541,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I bet quite a few people don't do much actual work in the physical office either. I sure don't when I'm in the office, same difference to me.

Not for me. I'm definitely more productive in the office. My most productive days are when I go in on Friday (we work 4-10's and are closed on Fridays) and no one is there to bother me or distract me.

Old 10-29-2022, 12:54 PM

1,246 posts, read 823,333 times
And yet, life goes on. Perhaps the percentage of employment in white collar office (or home) based professional occupations is simply too high... How much of this "work" really needs doing?

Old 10-29-2022, 02:09 PM

984 posts, read 442,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
And yet, life goes on. Perhaps the percentage of employment in white collar office (or home) based professional occupations is simply too high... How much of this "work" really needs doing?
Based on my experience at my job, not much of it. I admit my job is minimally useful, at best, in the grand scheme of things.

Old 10-29-2022, 02:14 PM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Before COVID, I rarely got contacted off hours unless on-call. These days, with remote teams, all time is work time. I just got contacted on something about thirty minutes ago the on-call person failed to respond on.

If anything, we don't leave work at work now. It's a 24x7 thing.
Yes.. often I forget to do something during the day and hop on well after hours ... and stay on for a few hours. No study is going to capture these things.

Many times I will do work at night (responding to emails) and put them in my email draft folder to send at 8:00 am the next day.

There can be no argument we are not more productive that is not just PR so employers can go back to their old ways.

Old 10-30-2022, 07:59 AM

6,586 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

I find that true about a lot of people. When I was in an 8 hr/day office job, I didn't always have 8 hours of work to do unless I was in a big project. I didn't do water cooler talk like many others though, but I certainly did a lot more internet shopping and research. These days, being self employed and working from home, I often mutter about why I never seem to be caught up and that is pretty much why. I am no longer "paid" to do little things like that.

I saw many people do things like that. They would also do things like walk at lunch. Like another poster said, a lot of time has been saved by not commuting or needing to get dressed up for the office.

I find my work hours shift seasonally. In the summer I am out the door early for a long bike ride but I work later in the day to make up for it. In the winter I will start work early and then workout mid-morning when it warms up. I don't necessarily work less/play more, but being home allows me to be flexible about when I do each thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
Not for me. I'm definitely more productive in the office. My most productive days are when I go in on Friday (we work 4-10's and are closed on Fridays) and no one is there to bother me or distract me.
Snow days used to be my favorite day to go into the office. I would get so much done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Yes.. often I forget to do something during the day and hop on well after hours ... and stay on for a few hours. No study is going to capture these things.

Many times I will do work at night (responding to emails) and put them in my email draft folder to send at 8:00 am the next day.
I learned that lesson the hard way - reply once after hours and it just opens the doors to more.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:11 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

There can be no argument we are not more productive that is not just PR so employers can go back to their old ways.
My laptop stayed at work off-hours before I went remote. I always have it with me now. Management knows and exploits this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment