Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2022, 02:59 PM

585 posts, read 495,339 times

Advertisements

Finally found a job where our bosses trusted us didn’t check up on us a lot and we all did the work we were supposed to. Now the manager at the new company is extreme. We have to work in a system where she tracks everything we do. When we log in and out, lunch, how long we are inactive. Exactly how much we accomplished and how many phone calls. She said our phone calls is how she can tell if they are paying us too much. Right now we have our own timelines. As long as we contact the customer to remind them their order is due at the beginning or middle and at the end of the month it doesn’t matter when it is is done. We can make 20 calls one day 20 another. Or all at once. Now there is a set time for everything.

The manager says if she notices we are falling behind she will talk to us and ask if we need to work on better time management. We had a nice system we used to send out quotes now we have to note and color code everything we do. My boss right now isn’t happy about this and even talked to me about it. Why are companies like this? She keeps saying “don’t give me a reason to check and I won’t”. But said she does need to check since we are all remote. We are remote now and still work well without having to be watched and micromanaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 03:02 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I think it would be normal for the new owners to eye everything critically and often. If their long term expectations end up being completely different than "the way things were," you adapt or find a new job.

Old 11-03-2022, 03:07 PM

984 posts, read 442,240 times
I have such a hard time with micromanagement. I manage a small team and it drives me insane when my boss tries to micromanage me. All of the work is getting done. I have a system. Don't try to change my system and everything will hum along beautifully.

My boss is a reasonable guy. If I tell him, "this process you've come up with will take up too much time," he generally listens. Occasionally I have to say, "ok, if you really want me to do it that way, I will. What would you like me to stop doing to accommodate that extra time?" and that typically ends it. Oh, never mind. You don't actually need to document this on six different spreadsheets after all.

Old 11-04-2022, 06:40 AM

585 posts, read 495,339 times
She called us a machine. Who says that.

I’ve noticed in the past when I worked in a micromanaged situation employees are unreliable. This is the first job where people don’t call in sick and treat people fair.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:33 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
It is OP's opinion and perception of team/management/production versus new management/owner.

Old 11-04-2022, 12:19 PM

483 posts, read 886,448 times
Find another job ASAP. I'd rather sell cars and deal with that toxic environment over what you're enduring. I'm too old to put up with that nonsense. Also, if you can, save up an emergency fund of about 6 months' worth of expenses in the event you need to take a pay cut or take any job to get out of that one. I never recommend quitting without having a fall-back, but I couldn't spend another day in that job.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:27 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
I never recommend quitting without having a fall-back, but I couldn't spend another day in that job.
When it happened to me, I quit. My fallback was being in a position to call it retirement.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:12 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post

I’ve noticed in the past when I worked in a micromanaged situation employees are unreliable. This is the first job where people don’t call in sick and treat people fair.
I have been in the working world for a long time.

I believe micromanagement is what is killing people's desire to work.

it kills the movitation and the spirit of the workplace.

Getting out in three months. Can't come soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment