Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 02:16 PM

377 posts, read 274,043 times

Advertisements

Everyone I've met who is successful in climbing the corporate ladder has that super professional way of speaking. So talking confidently, concisely, clearly, articulately, fast, etc. Is being able to communicate and speak like this pretty much required? And how long does it take people to learn to speak this way if so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 02:28 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
It certainly helps. The guys that don't are usually founders of their own companies. Mark Zuckerberg isn't a great communicator now, and I'm sure that he's received help in that area since becoming super rich. You can be unpolished and get a business off the ground, but if you want to rise to the top in someone else's business, i.e. in a corporate managerial career, being an excellent communicator is absolutely a key to success

Old 11-08-2022, 03:28 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Yes. It's not just about "corporate speak" but about being able to perform well in the job. Just about every job description we have includes "skill in written an oral communication" as a job requirement (or sign language for those who use it). The point being skill in communication.

Most jobs require you to communicate with others to get your work done. Write a report, give an oral report, present things to senior management, etc are all daily tasks in many jobs. Those who communicate well will do better those who don't.

It's one of the hardest things to train our new, young, engineers on. The way they are taught to write in school doesn't match modern professional style. And most of them have almost no experience in public speaking and are scared enough to $$$$ their pants when asked to present to visitors, senior management, and high-ranking customers.

Old 11-08-2022, 05:37 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
Everyone I've met who is successful in climbing the corporate ladder has that super professional way of speaking. So talking confidently, concisely, clearly, articulately, fast, etc. Is being able to communicate and speak like this pretty much required? And how long does it take people to learn to speak this way if so?

It has nothing to do with working for a corporation. It has to do with the person who is either selling a product or selling an investment.

Would you buy anything from a salesman who wasn't confident, spoke so softly that you couldn't hear him, didn't know the products, couldn't articulate why the product was better than a competitors?

If the entrepreneur who developed the proverbial better mousetrap attempted to get funding for his company but couldn't clearly and decisively describe his mousetrap to potential investors, do you think he'll get funding?

These are not new ideas. Dale Carnegie published similiar ideas in 1936. And the book is still in print.

https://fs.blog/how-to-win-friends-a...luence-people/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...4158d6e300d040

Old 11-09-2022, 05:05 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily consider your examples as specific to "talking corporate" as much as just being a good communicator in general. Be it corporate, academia, or within your social circle.

As with all soft skills - it certainly helps. Especially as you move into management.

On the flip side, "talking corporate" can also have a negative connotation - the over use of business jargons and phrases that can make you sound like you're trying too hard.

There is a big difference between a good communicator vs. a "corporate linguist".

Old 11-09-2022, 12:44 PM

377 posts, read 274,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
It has nothing to do with working for a corporation. It has to do with the person who is either selling a product or selling an investment.

Would you buy anything from a salesman who wasn't confident, spoke so softly that you couldn't hear him, didn't know the products, couldn't articulate why the product was better than a competitors?

If the entrepreneur who developed the proverbial better mousetrap attempted to get funding for his company but couldn't clearly and decisively describe his mousetrap to potential investors, do you think he'll get funding?

These are not new ideas. Dale Carnegie published similiar ideas in 1936. And the book is still in print.

https://fs.blog/how-to-win-friends-a...luence-people/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...4158d6e300d040
I wasn't talking about sales jobs specifically. Its obvious if you work in sales you need those skills.

Old 11-09-2022, 12:54 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I think that you will find that top performers (however you want to rate that) have a number of things in common, one of which seems to be the ability to deliver a speech without referring to notes, and sound like they know exactly what they are talking about. In my experience, true top executive performers have minds that just seem to work on a completely different level than almost everyone else.

Old 11-09-2022, 01:38 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
No.

You can advance pretty high on the technical side and be long winded and meek and just an overall really nice guy.

But you'll have a lot more workload and stress than someone who can just talk the talk.

And yes, I have particular people in mind.

Old 11-09-2022, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 1,435 times
Any good huckster has "people" skills.

Old 11-09-2022, 01:44 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It certainly helps. The guys that don't are usually founders of their own companies. Mark Zuckerberg isn't a great communicator now, and I'm sure that he's received help in that area since becoming super rich. You can be unpolished and get a business off the ground, but if you want to rise to the top in someone else's business, i.e. in a corporate managerial career, being an excellent communicator is absolutely a key to success
I think there's a lot more to those guys than meets the eye. Though the narrative is ... if you're just really smart and work really hard you can get there.

You don't become the X richest guy in the country by just ... being smart, and working hard yourself, and by paying people to sit around an office for days doing nothing but starting at the walls until work comes in.

I think those guys are all super, super ambitious and focused and did what it took to vault their companies to the top. And very, very careful about the types of people they hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment