Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 08:38 AM

1,152 posts, read 2,134,207 times

Advertisements

So I was out of work after a mass layoff since March. I accepted an offer for a position within a company and started work yesterday.

On Friday of last week, a company I previously interviewed for reached out for a HR Screen call. I really liked the company, role and salary was in line with expectations. The current company requires some Saturdays, full in office, pays about 30 to 40k less, and doesn't really align with my career goals. I was forced to accept it as I was bleeding money since unemployment ran out in September. I was making about 3 times what they offered me in my previous job before being laid off. I interviewed for the other company back in about May. I made it to the final round and met with team members I would have been managing. I'm not sure if the recruiter is aware that I have interviewed extensively before.

I was able to setup a time after I'm done with work in early December with the other company. My questions for you all:

1. Is it wrong for me to push for this other job after I just started at my current?
2. How should I discuss my reason for even taking the current job with the one I'm interested in?
3. How should I bring up that I already made it to the final round previously?

Getting this other job would make a huge difference in my life. With the current, I would be barely scraping by. With the other job, I would be comfortable money wise and working within a role that is more in line with my desired career path while allowing me to work from home in a hybrid model.

Thank you for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 09:14 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,211,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post

1. Is it wrong for me to push for this other job after I just started at my current?
2. How should I discuss my reason for even taking the current job with the one I'm interested in?
1. Absolutely not. Do what's best for you.

2. Be honest.

3. Don't bring it up let them figure it out.

Old 11-22-2022, 10:04 AM

128,311 posts, read 11,839,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

2. Be honest.

Old 11-22-2022, 10:25 AM

For 3 it's because it's a long interview process. 5 rounds with of them being about 2 hours a piece. I have no ability to take time off so if I can avoid doing a lot of the earlier steps that I have already completed that would be for the best.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:06 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,621,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
So I was out of work after a mass layoff since March. I accepted an offer for a position within a company and started work yesterday. My questions for you all:

NO!

Tell them the truth. Tell your current employer this is a better opportunity for you and your family. Say nothing to your potential employer about your current job.

You don't. You say nothing until you have an offer in hand, and then say as little as possible.
This happens more often than you can imagine. It happened at my job last summer. The new hire was there for a week, then explained she had another offer for a "dream job." Everyone, including management, wished her well and nothing negative was said or implied.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
This happens more often than you can imagine. It happened at my job last summer. The new hire was there for a week, then explained she had another offer for a "dream job." Everyone, including management, wished her well and nothing negative was said or implied.
Understood. I had to say something about having a job when I asked for time outside of the options presented for the screen since they were during business hours. Since I'm in a 90 day probationary period with the current job I don't want to take time off that could lead to me losing the job.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:05 PM

12,069 posts, read 23,132,364 times
1) Of course not.

2) Because you needed an income.

3) Don't even mention it.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:36 PM

6,448 posts, read 7,739,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

2. Be honest.

100% that.

Repped.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:01 PM

7,272 posts, read 3,063,238 times

1. No, not wrong at all...
2. Not sure why that would even come up; don't bring it up.
3. Irrelevant. Each job announcement stands on it's own.

No guilt; go get the better job.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:58 PM

3,196 posts, read 1,677,899 times
Go for the money and factor in opportunity for advancement.

Money makes the world go 'round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment