Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 03:59 PM

12,664 posts, read 14,803,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My Company closed a call center all in one day. It was mayhem. People crying, screaming everywhere. That was 1500 workers. They just laid off 750 again and did it all hush hush, a couple here a couple there. Word still gets out.

I worked in a call center that laid off 1500+ workers at once too, but it wasn't just in 1 day. We knew about 3-4 weeks ahead of time, I think. It was the only type of its call center in the state. There were only a few in the whole country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2022, 07:44 PM

13,077 posts, read 20,758,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
...they're illegally not providing COBRA coverage...
Please explain why you believe they are "illegally not providing COBRA coverage".

My position is that if there are no longer any active countable employees remaining on the payroll and the company (as a result) has terminated health insurance coverage, there is NO violation of COBRA and the company is well within their rights to kick everyone off health insurance. I base my conclusion on the actual reading of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985.

Old 11-27-2022, 09:19 PM

7,261 posts, read 3,055,448 times
I worked for a company that would hire a humongous armed security team to be onsite during a layoff (as well as pre and post for a few days). I did not stay long. I was not laid off; but, I stayed nine months and had already applied for a job about a month after taking that job (due to my boss telling me she had lied to me when hiring me). I got out with a job I have now had 20 years nine months into this job. I had a great eval because I had busted butt to save their arses on a project. It worked out well; some of the senior people I was working with were gone within 24 months anyways.

I too am wondering how they get away without COBRA? I'm guessing they are going bankrupt and so they will let it all pay out in court (there's nothing to get as the top people managed to get their money out no doubt).

Old 11-27-2022, 10:38 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,342,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Sorry the furniture folks lost their jobs but they had to see the production was down, things weren't great so they shouldn't have been surprised.
Some businesses are hanging on by a thread for years, and people continue to come into work. For some industries it is the nature of how they operate. Nothing happens until it does.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:19 AM

51,588 posts, read 25,543,954 times
Yikes!

I thought layoffs of this size by law had to give several weeks warning? No?

I was once laid off at a steel fabrication plant in New Hampshire. They called us all to the loading dock, handed out checks, and said there was only enough in the bank to cover half the checks, that the first ones to get to the bank would get paid, the last ones would have to wait until the bankruptcy sorted out.

Some hopped in their vehicles and raced to the bank. Others grabbed every tool they could get their hands on before doing so.

I was one of the lucky ones. My check didn't bounce.

The operation was closed down for about two weeks. It reopened under another name as a nonunion shop.

There were lawsuits from the union, etc. Who knows how that played out.

I cashed my check and moved on.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:49 AM

13,077 posts, read 20,758,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I too am wondering how they get away without COBRA? I'm guessing they are going bankrupt and so they will let it all pay out in court (there's nothing to get as the top people managed to get their money out no doubt).
Because COBRA is the right to continue health insurance coverage (at individuals expense) based on the same options active employees have. If a company terminates all health care coverage for active employees, it also terminates COBRA continued coverage for terminated employees. So, if the company (for any reasons) cancels their health care options for active employees, it cancels health care options for terminated employees as well.

The main cause of confusion is many workers think COBRA means they have to be offered health care. The reality is they only have to offer the same health care options active employees. No active employee health care options = no COBRA option for terminated employees!

Old 11-28-2022, 11:50 AM

5,885 posts, read 3,864,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
The means of laying people off via text isn't new
I've also known people to quit their jobs via text. Granted, it was usully a week or two after starting, but they texted my boss that they were done and not coming back. It seems like quitting/firing over text has become more common. But, for someone who has been with your company for a while, firing them via text is a crummy thing to do.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:19 PM

7,261 posts, read 3,055,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Because COBRA is the right to continue health insurance coverage (at individuals expense) based on the same options active employees have. If a company terminates all health care coverage for active employees, it also terminates COBRA continued coverage for terminated employees. So, if the company (for any reasons) cancels their health care options for active employees, it cancels health care options for terminated employees as well.

The main cause of confusion is many workers think COBRA means they have to be offered health care. The reality is they only have to offer the same health care options active employees. No active employee health care options = no COBRA option for terminated employees!
Thanks for explaining.

Old 11-28-2022, 12:33 PM

23,317 posts, read 23,711,869 times
This is heartless and mean to employees. Awful company. I’ve witnessed similar situations in my years working in corporate America.

Old 11-28-2022, 01:06 PM

12,066 posts, read 23,126,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Some businesses are hanging on by a thread for years, and people continue to come into work. For some industries it is the nature of how they operate. Nothing happens until it does.
That's like one day a restaurant is open, and the next day it is locked and someone is taking down the sign with the name on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment