Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 PM

22 posts, read 64,496 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of getting my MBA at the ripe age of 41. No hubby, no kids, no mortage, and no considerable debt -- and currently no job. (I have spent many years in the workforce, however.)

My MBA, if I chose to pursue it, would be from a third-tier school. I'm okay with that -- I'm not looking to become a Wall Street titan or Master of the Universe; I'm just looking to become more knowledgeable about the world of business.

My undergraduate degree was in journalism, and I've worked as a newspaper reporter, on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C., as a staff person in both the Missouri and Pennsylvania Legislatures, as a staff member at a trade association and most recently, as marketing coordinator for a small regional bank.

Given what I've said, would you, as an MBA, recommend an MBA for me or would 'real-world' work experience be more valuable? I would like to end up doing international development work or cause marketing.

Many thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:32 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,659 times
If you are looking to take a little break from the working world and have the money, than by all means, go for the MBA. Since your undergraduate is not business related, you will find it interesting, I think.

Having said that, I don't think my MBA has really gained me anything but bragging rights. Sad.

Bottom line, it won't get you any more $$ in a job, but it's a decent educational experience.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:08 PM

22 posts, read 64,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
If you are looking to take a little break from the working world and have the money, than by all means, go for the MBA. Since your undergraduate is not business related, you will find it interesting, I think.

Having said that, I don't think my MBA has really gained me anything but bragging rights. Sad.

Bottom line, it won't get you any more $$ in a job, but it's a decent educational experience.
I thought that was the idea behind getting an MBA -- an increase in salary due to your 'increase in value' to your employer.

Why has your MBA not gotten you more money??

Old 06-05-2008, 12:08 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
for real. If I get a masters I want a huge salery. I want to move out of this run down trailer...kidding..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker654321 View Post
I thought that was the idea behind getting an MBA -- an increase in salary due to your 'increase in value' to your employer.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:

It is not that it hasn't gotten me more money, but I would have been paid what I was being paid without the MBA.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
It is not that it hasn't gotten me more money, but I would have been paid what I was being paid without the MBA.

My husband is about to go back and get an MBA. He too has struggled with do I need an MBA to get where I want to go, or can I do it without the MBA. He has decided he wants it.

Do you think it opens door in terms of jobs you can apply for?

Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
My husband is about to go back and get an MBA. He too has struggled with do I need an MBA to get where I want to go, or can I do it without the MBA. He has decided he wants it.

Do you think it opens door in terms of jobs you can apply for?
Yes ... some jobs do say that an MBA is "preferred."

Old 06-05-2008, 02:25 PM

197 posts, read 798,578 times
I'm also thinking of going for an MBA. I'm currently working in IT and am bored with it. Too much down time and not enough advancement opportunities. I'm more of a people person and most of the time it's just me against the PC. I want to leave the field of computers and never look back. I know its promising and one of the top paying fields, but if the hearts not into it, what are you gonna do?

Old 06-05-2008, 02:26 PM

197 posts, read 798,578 times
Quote:
I'm thinking of getting my MBA at the ripe age of 41. No hubby, no kids, no mortage, and no considerable debt -- and currently no job. (I have spent many years in the workforce, however.)

My MBA, if I chose to pursue it, would be from a third-tier school. I'm okay with that -- I'm not looking to become a Wall Street titan or Master of the Universe; I'm just looking to become more knowledgeable about the world of business.

My undergraduate degree was in journalism, and I've worked as a newspaper reporter, on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C., as a staff person in both the Missouri and Pennsylvania Legislatures, as a staff member at a trade association and most recently, as marketing coordinator for a small regional bank.

Given what I've said, would you, as an MBA, recommend an MBA for me or would 'real-world' work experience be more valuable? I would like to end up doing international development work or cause marketing.

Many thanks in advance for your input.
Co-worker just got hired at company has MBA from Columbia. Negotiated a higher salary I'm sure because of the MBA. 70k to be exact.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam23 View Post
Co-worker just got hired at company has MBA from Columbia. Negotiated a higher salary I'm sure because of the MBA. 70k to be exact.

MBA's should be making a LOT more than $70K, esp. from Columbia. I know people without any degree making $70K in the business field. This is what I mean when I say an MBA will not get you more money. Just bragging rights. AND, sometimes you even have to omit it from your resume because employers think that you will want too much money and they can get someone else cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment