Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:24 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,483,787 times

Advertisements

I don't think it will hurt to ask, heck ask for 35k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 06:25 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,482,339 times
Maybe after the job offer is extended to you, ask if the salary is negotiable before putting a number out there.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:33 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,210,834 times
Thank you very much for the advice. A friend also said to ask for 35K if the salary is negotiable. I was afraid of being too greedy! My husband is a recruiter, believe it or not, and thought I should be grateful and not rock the boat. Hmmm, maybe that is why I have to work?

Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,364,773 times
30K is a good entry level salary for any job... I get offered that for mid level employment as a graphic designer (and I have 23 years of experience). Take it. Remember it is always easier to get a job when you have a job. If you don't like it, find another one and leave this one. Move up the ladder.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
30K is a good entry level salary for any job... I get offered that for mid level employment as a graphic designer (and I have 23 years of experience). Take it. Remember it is always easier to get a job when you have a job. If you don't like it, find another one and leave this one. Move up the ladder.
The funny or sad thing gardener is that I haven't been going up any ladder...more like a step stool.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:30 AM

376 posts, read 1,810,755 times
30K is OK, but not great for the area where you live. You are in Concord-Lexington area correct? I made that in the early-mid 80's when I worked in that area of the 128 corridor. What type of benefits are they offering? Does it offset that $$? Sometime tho, if you really like the organization/company $$'s aren't everything. I would agree that you should wait until they offer you a position THEN discuss salary. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,712,121 times
I would ask for 35k since it never hurts to ask. Remember, she knows from your resume that you have been out of the workforce for a while so she may be wanting you at a "good" price. Also, your raises will be percentages of the salary so start at a good salary that you are happy with; 5% of 35k is better than 5% of 30K.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:16 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. Hubby won't change jobs...been there done that with that discussion and it is very frustrating, but he truly believes he can do it and has worked for himself since we have been married for 17 years most of which afforded us living very well until the dotcom industry took a dump..so did we but I won't bore you all with that. We only have one car due to finances but at least I own it! I look everyday for something else, mainly reception work... have an appointment today for a hair salon, use to be a hairdresser (involves standing.) I know how tough these times are for people keeping jobs and getting them especially being over fifty or with limited computer knowledge, which fits me both, but I am told that I look in my thirties so hopefully that will be an advantage.
I'm just going to be a straight-shooter here so please don't take any offense, I indeed just want to offer advice and opinion which may be helpful to you. I've been there and done that, and understand both sides of the story you're presenting on this thread.

Asking your husband to change jobs right now is inconsiderate when in fact it is your own unhappiness with your own occupational situation that is the most significant problem. You cannot expect to remain a stay-at-home mom forever in this economy unless you're married to someone like a Dr. or Lawyer or otherwise are independently wealthy. You need to find an occupation you can be happy with short and medium-term while also keeping an eye on long-term employability. Due to the health ailments you've mentioned, I'd take a serious look at obtaining an education to pursue a specific occupation.

Regarding your husband's situation it sounds to me like he has had past success with the recruiting industry and this might just be a significant dry spell. He does need to re-evaluate what's happening in his industry, and with him in particular so as to end this dry spell. If it means joining a recruiting-share-group or partnering with just one or two others then he needs to do that. If it means branching out to another industry specialization that could help too. Recruiting is a sink or swim occupation, I know because I've worked within it. I'm sure he doesn't like this dry-spell anymore than you do, so don't get on him about it as though it is completely his fault. Economically this country is struggling right now despite what the media or government reports would have you believe. Recruiting is obviously taking a hit as such.

Lastly, getting back to you. I know you're primarily venting your problems on this thread, and that's perfectly ok. We all have had bad days and tough spots in our lives and reach out to share our experiences and to ask for help. In response I encourage you to work on yourself rather than to project/transfer your own issues upon your husband. You have a variety of health ailments and I think you need to realize that all the ailments you have still pale in comparison to what some others have but manage to still get along with. Take the time to change yourself for the better now, change your diet, exercise, and pursue a new occupation and education. The world won't sympathize with a poor-me attitude when you're obviously still sharp enough and capable of changing your own life for the better. You're over 50, that isn't old in my book. You also state that you don't have a lot of computer knowledge - so go out and change that (my mother who's a decade older than you went from zero computer knowledge to being a MS Office expert in just a year or two).

All that stated, I hope you indeed start making and seeing some positive change in your life. I'd keep whatever income-earning job you have until you find another to replace that it and try to keep a positive attitude.

Last edited by belovenow; 06-10-2008 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-10-2008, 04:14 PM

Thank you for making judgements about me without knowing anything about my work or marriage history. You haven't a clue what we have been through and that wasn't something that pertained to my original question, was it. I don't recall ever comparing my health issues to that of others going through much worse situations and resent that you would even assume it. If someone has to have a knee replacement and discusses it here, are you going to jump on them for stating their situation when other's are suffering with far more serious issues? Why can't people stick to the original topic instead of becoming Dr. Phil? My post was not meant as a poor me what so ever and if you followed the other posts you would have seen that I immediatley started looking for something new and interviewed for two positions the same day that I quit. Does that sound like someone sitting at home sulking to you???

Old 06-10-2008, 04:28 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,491,471 times
You NEED the job. Dont quibble over $1000. Do a great job and work for a raise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment