Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:43 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,219,371 times

Advertisements

Thanks. I wasn't planning on quibbling...as other's have said, check to see if the salary is negotiable and if not,not. I know I NEED the job, but I don't think asking if the salary is negotiable is out of line either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:29 PM

441 posts, read 2,111,861 times
A great job would be a PBX operator. The ladies at our office sit out front and greet walk-ins and forward incoming calls. They are friendly greeters who get to see and speak to people but don't have to listen to their problems. They are also given uniforms to wear which means they have no clothing expense. The pay is around $28k with full benefits including health, vision, and dental insurance, paid vacation, the whole package deal. All 4 ladies at our office are over 50 with one being 64. It's worth a look-see.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:33 PM

441 posts, read 2,111,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I could use some advice regarding asking for more money than the original amount offered. I have a second interview scheduled with a company I only interviewed with today but we hit it off really well and the office manager wants me to meet the owner in two days. She said because it is entry level, that the salary is 30k. Since she liked me enough to call me back right away would it be out of line to ask for $31k? I would still take it but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask???
Never hurts to ask. Do you have a Bachelor's degree? If so, you can ask for more. If the job pays 31k without a degree, you should at least get 35k. If you don't have a degree, you obviously have work experience, so play that up. Use what you've got!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:59 PM

Thank you SashaBlue for you kind and positive input. That is what I was looking for, not judgement

Old 06-10-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytimenow View Post
30K is OK, but not great for the area where you live. You are in Concord-Lexington area correct? I made that in the early-mid 80's when I worked in that area of the 128 corridor. What type of benefits are they offering? Does it offset that $$? Sometime tho, if you really like the organization/company $$'s aren't everything. I would agree that you should wait until they offer you a position THEN discuss salary. Good luck!
The great part is that it is a mile from my house! They do offer all benefits including 401K and paid vacation,sick days (12) They do silly things to keep things light in the office like easter egg hunts in the office and the prize being a cute basket of goodies, a yankee exchange, Thanksgiving cards instead of holiday cards to not offend anyone, two different possible bonuses and company dinner parties. It's casual so I don't have to invest in nice clothes and there are only a total of nine people there two of which are part time. I'm a little insecure about this field which is so different for me but think it would be great to have training and get paid for it. Tomorrow is the second and probably final with the owner, so wish me luck.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:25 PM

376 posts, read 1,812,173 times
Hey that sounds pretty great if they are paying good percentage of costs re: medical, dental, etc and good matching on 401K. If you can walk to work ('cepting bad winter, of course) you will certainly save on commuter costs! Certainly wont tell u what 2 do, but wish you best of luck on 2nd interview.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:55 PM

Second interview was very casual...just meeting the boss/owner that said the hiring is up to the woman I met with the other day that was also there. I was only told that they should have a decision by the end of the week, so I went home and applied to eight other jobs. Now I have another interview with new companies tomorrow and Friday. Too bad I can't get paid for the work I put in looking for work!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:09 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,010,510 times
Is anyone happy working retail? No really?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 PM

Worked for Nordstrom's in Ca. back in the 80's and they expected the moon from their employees, so much so that there was a huge class action suit that the people won against Nordy's. Ton's of worker's comp cases citing too much pressure and mental stress. I would say that Macy's is heading in that direction trying to compete with Nordstrom's "customer service" along with pressuring their employees to open umteenth number of charge cards a day and they give the employees rewards in Macy's money for it and for greeting customer's by asking their names and giving their's while shaking their hands. Of course this has to be witnesses by a manager first to get a reward. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment