U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,984 times

Advertisements

Many of the larger, nationwide agencies such as Kelly Services, Adecco, and Manpower are a joke. You will be lucky to get work through them. I've used smaller, local agencies in my area that only have one or two offices.

The agency I am working with now is a one person company. The temp position she just got me is wonderful and is paying very well.

Word of advice, however, make sure you keep in contact with the agency after your assignment ends. If you go on unemployment, you need to contact the agency every week to see if they have work available. You can be denied unemployment if you do not accept what the unemployment office deems as "suitable" employment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 PM

5,656 posts, read 18,308,242 times
They are hit or miss. I have dealt with some good ones, mostly because the people that worked there actually did their jobs. And some really sleazy ones.

Yeah, it is a pain to take those tests. And then you never get an assignment out of them - like for YEARS they never call you, then 2 years later they suddenly have something out of the blue.

Or, they call you up, have a position you would be good for, they submit your resume. you never hear about that position again.

Or you go in there, and they interview you, then say: check our website for the jobs... umm excuse me, isn't that your job, to match me up with potential employers. Now it's up to me to check the website?

Oh yeah, and what is with this "interviewing" before you go on a temp assignment? Used to be, they sent you in as a temp, if you didn't work out, they would call you out, then send in a new temp. And now they want you to get background checks, drug tests, and credit background checks for the most mundane and short term positions... do the temp agencies make money off doing those? that is what I am surmising.

But yes, I continue to use them, and have a few reputable firms and people I like to work with whom I recommend to others.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:12 PM

5,656 posts, read 18,308,242 times
Once again, I am getting sent to interview for a temp positions. NOW maybe I am being dense, but in these days of Internet job boards, and craigslist, What exactly is the purpose of a temp agency and why would you use one? You can post your own ad and get a huge amount of applicants to choose from.

Originally the temp agency would prescreen the applicants they would send into a company so the company wouldn't HAVE to go through interviewing? Now they still have to interview, even though the applicants have been pre-screened by the staffing agencies?!

I am at a total loss of being able to understand this...

I can see for the little one-two day/week assignments the staffing agencies would be useful. But recently they wanted me to interview (of course I had to drive there and back, and pay $$ in gas) for a 2 week, $11 an hour position! Haven't these places heard of phone interviews... and it wasn't a position where they needed to see what you looked like (i.e. receptionist) where you would have a public presence.

I honestly think they just pull as much as they think they can get away with since the worker's market sux so much here. how many hoops?

Old 09-18-2008, 01:15 PM

12,862 posts, read 19,125,294 times
I had to temp a few times back in the day. I found the pattern was the same with any agency. You signed on and listened to their BS. Then you had to nag them on a daily basis to get an assignment. You finally land one and that is when you prove yourself. Do that one well and they basically keep you busy for as long as you want.

Its a crappy way to earn but it beats sitting at home with no income coming in.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:43 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,152,813 times
It really depends on where you are. SF for example, any temp agency should keep you busy.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:16 PM

84 posts, read 470,940 times
Temp/job placement agencies are nothing but "Pimps"! A long time ago I temped with Kelly Services and I saw the bill they were charging the employer for me. At that time I was making $10/hr and the agency was charging the employer $18/hr! I was an excellent employee and eventually got hired perminately, so it worked out in that situation because I got a permanant job out of it. That was about 10 years ago.

A few weeks ago I applied online for a few jobs, got a call from a Robert Half recruiter who said my resume "screamed" for this certain position he had available & said he wanted me to come into the office and interview with him directly, and to dress business professional because he may send me out to the employer that day. Well, I went to the appt. and he was not there and I was told someone else would be seeing me. I sat for an hour filling out paperwork, waiting to do their stupid tests, after all that was completed (which took about 2 &1/2 hours), I saw a lady who spoke to me for approx. 5 minutes. She told me she'd pass my info on to the other guy & to call them the following week if I hadn't heard back from them.

Needless to say, I was soooo PO'd because I was paying for my son to be in a drop-off daycare for 3 hours & I feel I was totally misled into thinking that I was actually cominig in for a specific position. I never heard from them & they can "bite-me" if they think I'm going to call them to beg for a position! Especially when they should be calling me & working to get me into a company because they will be getting a huge "cut" off the deal anyways! I am only looking at regular company positions now. These agencies are a total joke nowadays!

Old 10-28-2008, 10:45 PM

331 posts, read 1,323,753 times
Hi, new member that just joined a few minutes ago. This topic sparked my interest, because i know how these agencies are. I am in Iowa, live about an hour SE of Omaha, Nebraska. I've been looking for work for about 2months.Been registered with several temporary agencies. I remember just a few years ago i could walk into any of those agencies, and after filling out paperwork, and taking a couple of basic tests, i would have work within a day, to a couple days at most.

Now, i get that same runaround most of you have mentioned. I keep hearing i'm not a 'fit' for their employers. Well, after about 4 weeks of playing their stupid game, (a bad idea i know, but what can i say) when i was buzzed one night, i Emailed the ones i had been talking to the most, and basically said to them i have 20 years of work experience, several skills, and i'm not a 'fit' for your "employers" ? what am i, some kind of idiot? 2 of the 3 never answered back, which is what i expected.

Unfortunately, there is little in the way of employment in the town i live in. There are 5 factories, i've worked at half of them, then of course your minimum wage jobs, which is about all it looks like i can get right now.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:26 AM

6,764 posts, read 20,961,325 times
My personal favorite:
1) We have a job for you. (them)
2)Me: What is the salary/how long/what hours?
3) Them: Nice questions, I will have to find out....

NEVER HEAR FROM THEM AGAIN!!??

Old 10-29-2008, 09:09 AM

2,745 posts, read 13,728,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles View Post
Many of the larger, nationwide agencies such as Kelly Services, Adecco, and Manpower are a joke. You will be lucky to get work through them. I've used smaller, local agencies in my area that only have one or two offices.

The agency I am working with now is a one person company. The temp position she just got me is wonderful and is paying very well.

Word of advice, however, make sure you keep in contact with the agency after your assignment ends. If you go on unemployment, you need to contact the agency every week to see if they have work available. You can be denied unemployment if you do not accept what the unemployment office deems as "suitable" employment.
Just wanted to comment on this... this is not true where I live, so your mileage may vary on this issue.

In Texas at least, if you're working for a temp agency and the assignment ends you have to give them 3 days to find you something new, letting them know you're available, before filing for UI.

After you are getting UI you only have to comply with the state's job search requirements, minimum contacts per week and so on... you don't have to deal with or check with the staffing agency you were last working for, as long as you're doing a job search otherwise.

Yes, you can be denied if you fail to accept suitable employment but here you aren't required to deal with or check with a particular agency.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 PM

331 posts, read 1,323,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My personal favorite:
1) We have a job for you. (them)
2)Me: What is the salary/how long/what hours?
3) Them: Nice questions, I will have to find out....

NEVER HEAR FROM THEM AGAIN!!??
I didn't put in my first post my personal favorite from a staffing agency called Aurstaff. There was a warehouse job that was a perfect fit for me, so i applied, went through all of their BS, and was never called. Fast Forward to about 1 year later, i applied for another warehouse job, and i did recieve a call from one of the 'consultants'. She proceeds to tell me "it's the same as last time" completely confused, i ask, "WHAT is the same as last time?" She says, " We couldn't verify your references" When an employer mentions references, you think of those people in the end of an app where you add non- family, either friends, or former corworkers, supervisors, right?..........

So still at a loss, i sat and typed out a letter to their corporate headquarters (C&A, which i refer to as C***suckers & A**holes)
and told them that IMO i don't believe their staff is even trying, etc.
tamed far down from what i was going to originally send, telling them their company is a joke, and i will NOT refer friends there. I did leave the not referring friends there part on. After Corporate recieved my letter, i recieved a call from someone there. They were nice to me, so i didn't get bent out of shape, i just listened to what they said, which was talking about my work history. So ok, whatever
i am just going to from now on forget about them places, and keep pestering every company i applied at until one of them hires me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment