Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 06:16 AM

303 posts, read 844,340 times

Advertisements

I have been considering moving to Kansas City and am thinking about taking a trip there to consult employment agencies for job openings in lab technician and substitute teacher positions, since sending applications and my resume online hasn't worked. I live near DFW, so KC is about 9 hours away from me, and I would most likely have to stay in a hotel. I am wondering if taking a trip to KC would be a good idea.

I am a very frugal person, so I don't expect much except good pay and benefits. For housing, I plan to live with my boyfriend in a modest 1-bed or studio apartment as close to my work as possible, and we don't plan to have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:47 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,407,013 times
I drove to KC from Dallas and it took 7 hours. It's an easy drive. I really like KC. So are you going up there because you already set up interviews? Can you make a bunch of appts close togther and then go up there for the interviews? Going up there without appts already might be risky and leave you up there for an extended period waiting to inteview.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:57 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,823,813 times
I think you mentioned in another post that you were diagnosed with a mild disability, right?
You might qualify for employment services under voc rehab. I just googled 'Kansas City' and 'vocational services' and got this organization:
Jewish Vocational Service - Employment Services-Promoting Social, Cultural and Economic Integration

A lot of people think Voc Rehad consists of sheltered workshops and piece-work for severely diabled people, but it also includes resume development, job searching, employer-employee matching, and job coaching for people recovering from accidents or milder disabling conditions. I worked for years with a physician who went through medical school, all under voc rehab funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment