Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:12 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,406,019 times

Advertisements

Local businesses are bracing for a national minimum-wage hike later this month, with some business owners saying they'll have to raise prices or reduce hiring to compensate for the extra costs.

"It will impact us, especially (when we're) at such a disadvantage at such an economic downturn," said Michael King, owner of Monell's Dining & Catering.

Minimum-wage hike hinders employers | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 03:15 PM

763 posts, read 2,253,056 times
The artificial minimum wage has greatly harmed our economy for many, many years.

But, it sure does buy votes for politicians!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:02 PM

50 posts, read 145,982 times
I see nothing wrong with raising the mininum wage. If it means that I have pay more for things then so be it. Many people around here live off of it and they need to be paid a living wage.

Here's a question: Would you rather pay people a living wage or have them have to go on public assistance because they can't earn enough money to feed their children?

Old 07-05-2008, 04:05 PM

14 posts, read 46,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentia View Post
I see nothing wrong with raising the mininum wage. If it means that I have pay more for things then so be it. Many people around here live off of it and they need to be paid a living wage.

Here's a question: Would you rather pay people a living wage or have them have to go on public assistance because they can't earn enough money to feed their children?
Unfortunately, I'm sure that some people would answer "neither", and suggest that said people should "deal with" not being able to care for their family.

But really, I get a bad feeling that this thread is a flamewar waiting to happen.

Last edited by Midnight Sage; 07-05-2008 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 07-05-2008, 05:29 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,844,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentia View Post

As I'm really un-educated, atleast from a college standpoint ( attended one year at TSU and decided working 65+ hours/week was something I HAD to do ) I'm all for the minnimum wage increase.

However....

We only have so many jobs availible in Tennessee and with people moving here at the rate they're moving here, Our jobs will be gone soon. Employers will see many workers without jobs and will eventually start paying everyone minnimum wage. Atleast, the people that can stay in business. I'm sure places like McDonalds, Burger King, and Walmart will survive.

I've seen it happen in Florida and hell, it's mostly Floridians that are moving here. You mention being paid a " living wage " You have to remember however, When minnimum wages go up, so does food, clothing, utilities, rent, ect, ect. Basically, you're paying out the extra money you're being paid so you break even.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
You have to remember however, When minnimum wages go up, so does food, clothing, utilities, rent, ect, ect. Basically, you're paying out the extra money you're being paid so you break even.
Not only that, but you will now pay the government (in the form of taxes) more for the privilege.

Minimum wage has kept incomes (in terms of inflation adjusted dollars) down.

But, it sure does sound good and buys votes for the politicians!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:47 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,844,120 times
Another thing to keep in mind is that ALOT of people on government assistance, Food Stamps, Section 8, ect, ect is screwed by the minnimum wage increase because alot of people may get kicked off for making more then they are allowed to make under that program and honestly, who among us could live on $7.25/hr ?

Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 PM

I want to clarify: Although I object to minimum wage on economic grounds, I'm adamantly opposed to the Fed doing it. Cost of living is different from one place to the next, and individual states would have a better idea of what it should be in their area.

But, read "The Walmart Effect" to get an idea of the economics involved.

Raising minimum wage sounds great on an emotional level (and it buys votes!), but it's economically damaging to everyone.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:44 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,343,604 times
While this started out as a local story I think that this is better suited in Work and Employment and am moving this thread there.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,667,450 times
Do people still work for minimum wage? I would hate to see what kind of employees you'd have! Even the illegal Mexicans around here won't work for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment