Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:36 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,410 times

Advertisements

We have a 'new' HR manager (who was transfered into the position) and she has been going to classes to learn how to be an HR mgr. This is a smaller co - about 50-60 employees. All of a sudden she is telling the salaried employee's they have to fill out timesheets - it is the law or something. I am 46, and have worked for very large co, a very small business and this co. NEVER have I had to fill out a timesheet as a salaried employee in the state of VA.

Now most of the employee's are hourly, but office staff and supervisor's are salaried. Has anyone heard of this?

Because of this, they 'just' discovered that I am only scheduled for 37.5 hrs a week - not the typical 40. I have worked here for over 4 years, same hours all that time and they tried to take away 5 hours of my annual vacation time because I should only get 75 hrs of vaca a year, NOT 80. I told them no way - I get 80 hrs like everyone else - and when I have taken a weeks vacation in the past I used 40 hrs of time - not 37.5. They agreed after I told the HR mgr that was really low to even consider doing that. I have NEVER called in sick in 4 years, and am always here unless I preschedule time off. Anyway - that was just a random coment.

I really want to know if salaried employee's are required to do time sheets, or where I would even look to find this answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 01:48 PM

269 posts, read 1,243,517 times
That's going to vary by state, I expect.

I've been in a couple places where timesheets were expected of salaried employees. Those have been research institutions where a slug of their money comes from government grants & contracts. Usually those require accounting of all hours billed to each grant. If you're working strictly on a single grant it seems pointless, but for uniformity of handling it happens since there'll be people whose time gets billed to different budget numbers.

I haven't worked enough in the private sector to say more, though.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:49 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,439,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
We have a 'new' HR manager (who was transfered into the position) and she has been going to classes to learn how to be an HR mgr. This is a smaller co - about 50-60 employees. All of a sudden she is telling the salaried employee's they have to fill out timesheets - it is the law or something. I am 46, and have worked for very large co, a very small business and this co. NEVER have I had to fill out a timesheet as a salaried employee in the state of VA.

Now most of the employee's are hourly, but office staff and supervisor's are salaried. Has anyone heard of this?

Because of this, they 'just' discovered that I am only scheduled for 37.5 hrs a week - not the typical 40. I have worked here for over 4 years, same hours all that time and they tried to take away 5 hours of my annual vacation time because I should only get 75 hrs of vaca a year, NOT 80. I told them no way - I get 80 hrs like everyone else - and when I have taken a weeks vacation in the past I used 40 hrs of time - not 37.5. They agreed after I told the HR mgr that was really low to even consider doing that. I have NEVER called in sick in 4 years, and am always here unless I preschedule time off. Anyway - that was just a random coment.

I really want to know if salaried employee's are required to do time sheets, or where I would even look to find this answer!
I would suggest going to the Labor Law Talk forum. I googled it and they have discussed this.

Timesheets - Salaried Employees - Labor Law Talk

Old 07-14-2008, 03:01 PM

943 posts, read 4,257,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post

I'm a salaried VA (state) employee. I have to fill out timesheets

Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,586 times
In all the years of being salaried, I have always had to fill out a timesheet. It's good to keep track of employee's time, comp earned (if your company offers that), sick time used, vacation taken, etc. If now timesheets, then how does the company keep track of all this? Does the company not have an annual audit performed?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:03 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
In all the years of being salaried, I have always had to fill out a timesheet. It's good to keep track of employee's time, comp earned (if your company offers that), sick time used, vacation taken, etc. If now timesheets, then how does the company keep track of all this? Does the company not have an annual audit performed?
I agree. I have to fill out a timesheet triggered by an e-mail for every pay period. If you did not take a vacation day or sick day or any other time off, you just click the link and it pre-populates the timesheet with 40 hours straight time. It goes electronically to my manager to approve. You can also fill it in in advance as a way of "requesting" vacations. I've done it in 4 states...CA, CT, NC and SC.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:20 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,397,710 times
I have worked salary for the past 13 years and always filled out a time sheet. It was done, mostly to track sick days, vacations days and any other days I took off. I done them online and never questioned it both in NYC and NC. I don't see the big deal of why you will dispute it.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:12 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,410 times
Thank you for all the responses! Doesn't sound like it is an unusual request then!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
I do not undertand your issue with vacation time. You have two weeks.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:05 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
I'm a salary employee in Virginia, as well.. We have to do time sheets everyday to track our time for the contract.

I see nothing wrong with the idea of tracking time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment