U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,371,910 times

Advertisements

Do temp agencys provide you with work daily, If I were to move to another town without a job and get on with a temp agency would they keep me busy with work unitll I could get on permanent with someone?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 PM

266 posts, read 1,074,564 times
You would think so, right? I discovered just the opposite when I was recently unemployed "unexpectedly". I thought, okay, I'll just go get a job with a temp agency until I figure out something more permanent. So I trotted down there in my little skirt suit, spent 3 hours interviewing and taking computer skills tests, and then asked what my options were for jobs. Thinking I would have a choice of different assignments.

Uh...no. They had 1 opening for a part time job and there were already tons of people in line for that one. Every job listed on their website (over 250 jobs) was nonexistent. They told me those jobs were "filled" and whoops, I guess we need to update our website.

I waited a few weeks and got one interview for a permanent position (which I really didn't want, I wanted temp). I interviewed anyway. The agency told me it paid $10K more per year than it really did. I ended up with an offer, but the agency refused to negotiate the offer on my behalf. They were mad at me for even attempting to get better terms on the job offer, so they just sent another candidate over there and made up a crazy story how the company suddenly decided to pass on me.

So it really was just a huge waste of time. And this is the biggest agency in Phoenix, mind you. Not some little dinky operation by any means. Now, I can't say this would happen to you. It may be a legit option in some cities. But what I have read on this board from others makes me very leery of temp agecies in general.

I would suggest you do some research and try to get on with a temp agency BEFORE moving, just in case it doesn't work out.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:28 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,541,910 times
It depends on where you are, what niche/industry you are in and the overall job market in that area. It also depends on the staffing company itself. There are ones with good reputations and ones with bad. My suggestion is that unless you are a commercial staffing setting (Clerical, Light Industrial, Customer Service or Admin), that you look for a niche vendor. ONe who specializes in just that field. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:18 AM

434 posts, read 3,082,482 times
I did temp work in college and my experience was that the temp agency gave me 2 really crappy jobs just to see if I would show up and work a full day. I was warned that this might happen, so I just sucked it up and worked these jobs. After that, the jobs that I got referred to got a lot better and I had a pretty positive view of temp work. The jobs that I got paid better than working retail and if I wanted to take a week or two off, working temp allowed me to do that.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:59 PM

77 posts, read 375,584 times
For one, you have to keep calling them every week to let them know you are still looking for work. Secondly, there are only a few temp agencies that will place you on an assignment. Most of them send your resume for you to an employer and then the employer interviews you.

I have been going through this for atleast four months, and I am so sick of interviews that I took what I could get. I just started a part-time temp job. It pays less than what I was making and only a little more than my unemployment, but if I don't take what I can get I will be sitting around or going to interview after interview. I figured by taking this job it will get my feet wet and make it easier to find a job once I've been there awhile. Employers want to see how much experience you have and how much of a gap you have between jobs.

Good luck!!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:19 PM

6,764 posts, read 21,205,629 times
Use them as an option but keep looking yourself!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,880,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Do temp agencys provide you with work daily, If I were to move to another town without a job and get on with a temp agency would they keep me busy with work unitll I could get on permanent with someone?
You don't mention your profession, and that will have a major impact on your likely experience with a temp agency.

In her early 20's, my daughter worked for a temp place that dealt mainly with day laborers and basic clerical staff. She had clerical assignments of varying length and pay during her time there, and eventually was able to get a fulltime permanent offer from one of them, but work with the agency was by no means a steady thing. She'd often go days or weeks between assignments.

If you are an accountant, on the other hand, or a fairly experienced AP or AR professional, and if you can get in with a temp agency that specializes in the field, you're a lot likelier to get steady work out of the deal. In a field like accounting, most places won't hire a temp for a couple of weeks or a month, because it takes longer than that to get a new person trained to even a basic standard. When they do go looking for a temp, chances are that it'll be an extended assignment, the kind where you're covering for a three-month maternity leave or when they need extra help for a big transition to a new accounting system or something similar.

Temp agencies are definitely a mixed blessing. Good luck, and I hope you don't need to temp for long.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:41 PM

77 posts, read 375,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Thank you for the advice. I will, I just want to wait a month before I put it on my resume. My time is limited now because I am back at college. I am taking 2 online classes and 2 classes on campus. My online professor wants more than my campus instructors. I'm spending so much time on the computer that I think a 20 hour a month job is better time wise, but not money wise. I'm spending more money on gas, than anything else.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:59 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,373,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
lol yea. Lots of people get depressed and just stop looking. If you have that mentality you'll never find anything.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:41 PM

21 posts, read 169,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Do temp agencys provide you with work daily, If I were to move to another town without a job and get on with a temp agency would they keep me busy with work until I could get on permanent with someone?
It depends on your location, and what you can do. Most is clerical/data entry or accounting types (at least near me).

I have been working steadily as a temp for the past 3 years, and I've asked for long-term temp-to-permanent positions. When those haven't been available I've worked short-term jobs, no problem. I make sure I do my best, and get my timesheet in on time. The temp company appreciates that, and that I keep their clients happy - so, increasing the chances I get called for the nice jobs that come in, when I'm not already working.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment