Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:42 PM

516 posts, read 1,884,949 times

Advertisements

Security = complacency in my book.

Look ahead 10 or 20 years. Where can the government job take you? Where can the corporate job take you?

For me, government jobs just don't offer enough. For you, well, you'll just have to figure out what you want in the long-term, and which job offers the best path to that end result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 08:08 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,507,257 times
And that is part of the problem, with the private sector job, privately owned company, I have the opportunity to become the administrator of the office I work in as the present administrators move on to open other branches, and once established with the company can pretty much move wherever I want and open a branch with their backing, or just stay at the original office.

Either way, now that I have the 9-5 how do I interview with the state? They have added me to even more hiring lists in the location I wanted in the first place. Don't want to in any way renige on private job obligation until I am ready to give a real two weeks notice, which they may not even want me to keep, ie they may want to cut their losses if they know I am leaving.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:46 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,941,820 times
I worked for government and private industry and believe that private industry offers more opportunity, advancement and job satisfaction. State or government jobs are great if you are not ambitious or are not a high achiever. Furthermore, in my opinion, state/government jobs are for individuals who will be satisfied with working basically in the same office/desk/enviornment for their entire life and only looking forward to retirement 25 or 30 years later.

Again, this my opinion after working many years in the government, then moving to the private sector.

To make the right choice, choose the job that fits your personality. Laid back, don't want to work hard...government/state. Ambitious, high achiever, easily gets bored in the same enviornment, want a career of variety, change and challenge...private sector.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:54 PM

Well, I'm not sure about that...if I'm looking at a job as a caseworker in a welfare dept I hardly think I will get to sit back and not work hard, I am an ambitious high achiever easily gets bored and I think being a welfare caseworker is just up my alley. But I could be wrong, don't know yet! Satisfied working at the same office desk for my entire life? that sounds like death! But if I'm gonna work anywhere for any time, I at least want decent health insurance for me and my kids, and private co. I'm talking about covers me but my kids add another 200+, whereas with the state the whole family is under $100....and then the retirement, paid holidays, vacation, opportunity for advancement, yes, it's not the kind of world domination I enjoy, but it is money in the bank. But then, I do enjoy world domination.....

Old 09-02-2008, 09:21 PM

983 posts, read 4,434,406 times
Govt job I would say if it was federal. But a state job doesn't guarantee job security. Now a days the benefits are more important sometimes than the pay. Hmmm, that's a hard one to call. Are u the type that likes to move around or advance? Then in govt there will be endless opportunities usually.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 PM

983 posts, read 4,434,406 times
Oh I missed the part about the private job oppurtunities. It sounds good too!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Yep you are all correct, the private company has lousy insurance, none of the state benes, but it's a family owned co. in business since 92, and pretty much all the regional offices are open due to friends/employees of the owners saying, hey, I want to open in X region, and they don't even do demographics beyond a pop count, if they like you, you have performed well, then they pay for you to go open the branch, why? because the money does follow, and has through many states. The branch I'm at just opened and is already in the black, way ahead of schedule. And as we gear up to 7 employees from 2, me being the third, I will have the choice of remaining in my position or becoming our branches hr person, and administrator as the 2 others move on to cope with expanding outlying markets as far as another state. So in that regard it could be alot of fun and opportunity, but on the other hand if they have been at it since 92 then why aren't the benes better? and why does at least one of the two choose his own private health insurance? The gov't job is non-union State. High stress, opportunity for advancement, more formal established environment. Private sector, it's my first day and I have keys to the office and will go in early to make coffee, and it's low key low stress. Part of me wants to roll with it, part of me doesn't want to miss out with the State, or sell out short.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:32 PM

Hey and thank you all again, getting this input is really helping me sort this out!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,758,734 times
Not all gov't jobs are created equal! Not all are boring and unsatisfactory. It depends on what kind of work you do, and who you're working for.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:24 PM

265 posts, read 811,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
Not all gov't jobs are created equal! Not all are boring and unsatisfactory. It depends on what kind of work you do, and who you're working for.
I agree. In addition, there is a career ladder available for ambitious and hard working employees. I used to work as a caseworker. and opportunities for advancement occurred frequently. And the work is anything but boring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment