Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Wendy's is "Doing the right Thing"?
Yes -- Smart move 11 28.95%
No -- Good luck suckers 17 44.74%
Don't care -- I'm to good to work in Fast Food 6 15.79%
On the Fence --Not sure could go either way 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:10 PM

7 posts, read 32,454 times

Advertisements

Just want everyone to know that most all Wendy's stores in the Tampa Bay area are locking down all New Hire Pay rates to Minimum Wage with out exception. I guess since gas has come down so far they figure all their new workers can get by on this. I can understand maybe hiring minors in at this rate but all to set one rate for all? I'd like to see the person that came up with this to get paid minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 05:15 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Health Inspector View Post
Just want everyone to know that most all Wendy's stores in the Tampa Bay area are locking down all New Hire Pay rates to Minimum Wage with out exception. I guess since gas has come down so far they figure all their new workers can get by on this. I can understand maybe hiring minors in at this rate but all to set one rate for all? I'd like to see the person that came up with this to get paid minimum wage.
what is the minimum wage in florida? also how many hours do you get?
I also did hear publix was an ok place to work.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:17 PM

68 posts, read 215,357 times
They are cutting back like every other business. I would rather see a wage set than a store close, causing everyone to LOSE their jobs.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:43 PM

Maggie -- $6.79 is FL min wage.

Playball - I don't disagree with you. A smart business plan along with correct execution is always a good idea. When Wendy's is told they have to slash another 160+ million from there numbers, people make knee jerk decisions, and the people making these decisions are the ones that are afraid to loose there 6 figure jobs. There are other choices than just telling every manager " You can't hire anyone above Minimum wage". Unemployement is higher than it has been in years, so yes it can be exploited and maybe have a short term fix. You get what you pay for and if someone thinks they are under paid..... they will find a way to get the money.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,036,028 times
Default NY Health Inspector

...i agree that a smart business plan is a good one....and i also agree that people these days won't work for less then they are worth....nobody ive ever known...whether here in the heart of silicon valley...or back east in ohio or kansas,both cities ive lived in....no one can make much of anything on minimum wage....unless you are under 18-19 and have no bills...its outrageous that wendy's..or any other business would force those employees with bills to pay,and/or mouths to feed to work for such a wayyy out dated wage...i hope that enough people will finally get tired of all of these places, which take in so much money annually..yet refuse to give their dedicated employees anything to feel good about,that the people will force tremendous changes which will force through a fair wage.....im so tired of seeing companies of all sorts lining their pockets with my money..while i try to figure out how to pay the rent....let them suffer...not the rest of the dedicated work force....like you said..you get what you pay for...and when you stiff people..they WILL stiff you..and you definately would deserve it...
...its not a matter of job dedication..how can you dedicate yourself to something when you aren't recieving anything good from it....
..you always hear messages about getting out of abusive relationships...or standing up and speaking up....its way past time for real people to push for what they deserve and if they need to...play it loudly, untill it is heard...and for those greedy individuals who are out to rob all of us...good luck..cuz no ones gonna work for you....and that time is comming...
...lastly,and this was some interesting food for thought when id heard it,...when asked what they'd rather do to make money,...a number of older teens/younger 20 somethings interviewed in oakland said that they'd rather enguage in drug selling...simply because you make money....you dont anywhere else...im by no means advocating this...but it certainly makes me wonder about how many others out there are involved in similar thinking..so that they can get by....i think its sad that some people think that rasing the min. wage to a decient level would put some businesses out of business...that sounds like cheap talk to me...a good business would be fine...and gain confident,loyal employees who will show up each day...
ready to contribute...or continue up the ladder on their way twoards their future....while able to live....
...i myself want to pursue my own business goals...and have a nice life...but not at the cost of robbing my employees of things for themselves...it CAN be done....and EVERYONE..can be proud of the achievements....

Last edited by si33; 08-28-2008 at 07:12 PM..

Old 08-28-2008, 07:53 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Places like Wendy's or McDonalds have always been about minimum wage - that's why you see so many kids or seniors working there.

Bottom line, if they were to raise wages they will just pass on the costs to cosumers, just like any other business. A job like Wendy's should just be for someone who wants a little spending money, not a career, unless one wants to be a manager.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Even at minimum wage a will assure you that Florida workers will be lining up by the droves to take those jobs.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Maggie -- $6.79 is FL min wage.

Playball - I don't disagree with you. A smart business plan along with correct execution is always a good idea. When Wendy's is told they have to slash another 160+ million from there numbers, people make knee jerk decisions, and the people making these decisions are the ones that are afraid to loose there 6 figure jobs. There are other choices than just telling every manager " You can't hire anyone above Minimum wage". Unemployement is higher than it has been in years, so yes it can be exploited and maybe have a short term fix. You get what you pay for and if someone thinks they are under paid..... they will find a way to get the money.
Here's some feedback from someone who used to work there in management (not store management--corporate management).

Wendy's is no different from any other company with multiple outlets. They have to have some uniformity from market to market or they will have more problems than just minimum wage. If they pay min wage to new hires in Toledo, then they need to pay min wage to new hires in Miami. Also, not every Wendy's restaurant is owned by the company. Many are franchised. I can't remember if Tampa is a company market, a franchised market or a co-op but if it's franchised, Wendy's has NO control over what the franchisees choose to pay their work force.

At the end of the day, running a profitable business means making money at the store level. Labor is a line item and if it gets too big, you have to slash it or raise costs somewhere else to make up for it. When Wendy's puts that "help wanted" sign in the window, I'm sure they don't make any secret of the starting wage. There are many ways someone can boost their starting wage. They can become a shift supervisor, line supervisor, enter the management training program, volunteer to take food safety and certification classes and more.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:51 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,373 times
Quote:
Were they hiring people above minimum wage before the change in minimum wage laws? Is the new minimum wage above or below what they used to pay?

Old 08-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Were they hiring people above minimum wage before the change in minimum wage laws? Is the new minimum wage above or below what they used to pay?
Tampa/Clearwater is a Company Market with some Franchise mixed in. The Company Director is a real Micro Manger/control freak and preaches about following company guidelines but doesn't follow the guild lines sent down by his superiors. He doesn't want anyone hired in above minimum wage even though that is not the direction given to him. Prior to this most all stores brought people in and paid competitively to the local area (.25 to .75 over min). Most of the individual stores have more gross revenue than most Fortune 500 companies, and part of running a business is to determine what to pay there employees. I guarantee you if a store can’t staff because McDonalds across the street is bringing their crew in $1.00 more an hour, and that Director will be sitting his butt in his office, not helping. Actually he will probably be calling that stores DM and yelling at him (and yes he yells a lot) because of his high service times.

And to comment on another thing that was mentioned earlier. “Passing the cost on to the consumer”, yes that has happened and will continue to happen. Unfortunately that happens in every sector because of Fuel prices, commodity costs, R&D, and so forth. You can see the cost rising everywhere and I don’t see it getting any better any time soon.

Sorry this kind of turned into a rant, but this Director just doesn’t get it. He enjoys making him self the “Big Cheese” and making sure everyone knows it. I have always taken care of anyone that has worked under me, and I always thought of that as one of Dave Thomas’s guiding principles – “Do the Right Thing”. This guy doesn’t do this unless he can get noticed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment