U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:51 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,062,686 times

Advertisements

It will be a year next month that I've been out of work......AND, I haven't even gotten an interview during that time. Have e-mailed my resume' out for Purchasing/Inventory jobs, but NOTHING!! Have gotten a few of calls from company's and an agency, but NOTHING came out of the calls.
My area is in Purchasing and Inventory Control/Management......plenty of experience as a Materials Coordinator, Purchasing Assistant, Jr. Buyer, Inventory Control and Inventory Management, BUT no Certification or College Degree!! Even have a year or so of College classwork and some "online" computer classes in "my" area of work, but still NOTHING. Can't do the physical warehouse/shipping/recieving work I did that led me into the Purchasing-Inventory area. I'm too old (60) and my body couldn't handle it anymore.
By the way, no one can tell that I'm 60 by looking at my resume', so that problem isn't there. I (and my wife) think it is the Economy and that there either are very few jobs here in my area or people that have those jobs are keeping them b/c they know how hard it is finding a job in Purchasing/Inventory is.
But, my next move is to MOVE out of this area and out of the NC. Wife has a good paying accounting job, but tells me that the job is just too hard for her. We are now looking in another State where there are jobs for both of us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 05:48 PM

6,045 posts, read 22,801,435 times
That stinks. Might be better to start exploring other types of work, if you haven't already.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:27 PM

211 posts, read 939,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
It will be a year next month that I've been out of work......AND, I haven't even gotten an interview during that time. Have e-mailed my resume' out for Purchasing/Inventory jobs, but NOTHING!! Have gotten a few of calls from company's and an agency, but NOTHING came out of the calls.
My area is in Purchasing and Inventory Control/Management......plenty of experience as a Materials Coordinator, Purchasing Assistant, Jr. Buyer, Inventory Control and Inventory Management, BUT no Certification or College Degree!! Even have a year or so of College classwork and some "online" computer classes in "my" area of work, but still NOTHING. Can't do the physical warehouse/shipping/recieving work I did that led me into the Purchasing-Inventory area. I'm too old (60) and my body couldn't handle it anymore.
By the way, no one can tell that I'm 60 by looking at my resume', so that problem isn't there. I (and my wife) think it is the Economy and that there either are very few jobs here in my area or people that have those jobs are keeping them b/c they know how hard it is finding a job in Purchasing/Inventory is.
But, my next move is to MOVE out of this area and out of the NC. Wife has a good paying accounting job, but tells me that the job is just too hard for her. We are now looking in another State where there are jobs for both of us.
Hello LoveBoating:

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time.

Can you elaborate a little bit more on what happens *after* the phone call? For instance, are you actually interviewing with companies? If you are receiving a phone call and / or interviewing, perhaps it is something that is being said *or* it could be related to your interviewing skills. The resume will get the interview, but it is up to the candidate to *sell* him / herself.

If you can give some more details, maybe I (or someone else) can offer some insight.

Hang in there . . .

Kindly,
Cleveburg

Old 09-10-2008, 08:57 PM

763 posts, read 2,125,898 times
Sadly, it may have to do with the fact that you have no college degree. A degree is important, but some people put too much emphasis on it, even when confronted with equivalent work experience.

BTW, some colleges will convert your work experience to credit hours.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:44 AM

I love Purchasing and Inventory and know a lot about both from experience and courses taken. Not only that, I'm getting too old (at 60) to do anything else. While working in Purchasing/Inventory, I didn't sit at a desk all day and just do data entry.....I would go out in the warehouse and check to see what came in on Purchase Orders and take a look at the inventory in the warehouse to analyze product that was "not moving", "slow moving" and "actively moving". Nothing real physical that I couldn't handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
That stinks. Might be better to start exploring other types of work, if you haven't already.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:52 AM

"Phone calls" question:
An agency called me to temp a job for a lady going out on Maternity Leave. It was job dealing with Purchasing. However, I had to tell the agency that I was going on a Cruise with my wife in a month and if the job lasted longer than a month, I couldn't be there. Agency called the company and they apparently said "no", b/c I never heard back from the agency.
Another company called me about an Inventory Supervisor job, but told me that I would be traveling 50% of the time......both wife and I said "NO WAY".
Another company called me, but the job was for Insurance Sales. Insurance Sales, why in the heck were they calling me (I told my wife). Apparently, they didn't read my resume'. I didn't want to work in sales at all. End of story on that one!
So, that is what I've been thru with the phone calls.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 PM

Well, here it is the last full week of Sept and I still haven't received a call for an interview yet. E-mailed out two resumes last week and NOTHING. Boy, for my previous jobs in Purchasing/Inventory Control-Management I didn't need a Bachelor's Degree or a Certification from APICS or any one else. My experience and some college credits was enough!

Old 09-22-2008, 03:50 PM

81 posts, read 328,619 times
Nothing really to add except I can feel your pain. Ive been putting in applications and resumes over the entire summer and have had no luck either. I end up getting interviews but for one reason or another or I mess up during the testing (I guess I am just not a good test taker) phase I am not what theyre looking for. (trying to get back into the workforce after 8yrs at home with my kid!)

Im still gonna keep plugging away but man it sure does make me lose confidence at times. I figure eventually one day someone is going to say YES.

Last edited by Cinnabunz; 09-22-2008 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Forgot a part

Old 09-23-2008, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 13,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
"Phone calls" question:
An agency called me to temp a job for a lady going out on Maternity Leave. It was job dealing with Purchasing. However, I had to tell the agency that I was going on a Cruise with my wife in a month and if the job lasted longer than a month, I couldn't be there. Agency called the company and they apparently said "no", b/c I never heard back from the agency. ....
First of all, I am really sorry for your current situation (been there, done that) but,
I would have put the cruise on hold for this job oportunity. I would have sold the tickets, or give away the tickets to a sick relative, your elderly parents, to celebrate your children's passing grade or someone's birthday, whatever! just I would have postponed the cruise. If none other option was available, I would have sent the wife with one of her girlfriends!
Why? because it was a chance of a job in a very problematic economy. Job opportunities are not available anymore and in your case, consider the limited options. Cruises come and go, but this job would have been, maybe, the opening for another permanent job. My 2cents.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,861,224 times
Adding my 2 cents, IMHO, if a person doesn't have a job I wonder how they can afford to go on a cruise. I've never been out of work and still can't afford one! Sounds like playing is more important than working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment