Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 09:39 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,448,703 times

Advertisements

There will always be complainers, there will always be people who don't work as hard or try as hard, and there will always be people who blame society, the economy, their parents, Puff the Magic Dragon, and whomever else for their inability to succeed in this world.

61-OH, you keep plugging along like you're doing. Tell this guy to sh** or get off the pot if he doesn't like where he is and what he's doing. As long as you keep the attitude you have and don't let set-backs get you down, you will never be in his shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 09:59 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,343,318 times
Nobody should have to listen to anyone complain all the time

the other guy should keep it to himself, it is unprofessional

But do not tell him off or anything like because it is also unprofessional

Just try to avoid him, or try to change the subject

Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 AM

702 posts, read 2,297,634 times
Get used to it - people love complaining about their jobs because they don't really have any genuine hardships in their lives.

Year after year, I sit in clean, air conditioned offices with regular breaks and getting paid to sit in front of a computer all day. And yet all I hear is whining and complaining around me, as if we are slaves and suffering tremendously for our efforts.

Give me a break!

I have always been grateful for every job I've gotten and I consider myself lucky to be working, whether it's scrubbing a motel bathtub or building a website. I was 17 about...17 years ago...but I had the same work ethic then that I do now and I've done well for myself.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:44 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,200,912 times
Amen!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj chutzpah View Post
you are still young

how many years have you worked?

Your feelings will change in the future, be sure of that

for you working at a pizzeria is cool, it was for me when i did at your age

now i would never work at a pizzeria unless i owned it

what you have right now is good enough, but in the future it will not be

you may find yourself in his shoes

Old 09-20-2008, 10:53 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,200,912 times
First off, if it pays you real money than it's a real job. It may not be your IDEAL job but it was good enough for you to stay for 2 years.....

Also, as a young man, you may have the "it will never happen to me" attitude. Well everyone thinks it will never happen to them. YOU CANNOT decide what happens in your future. You can plan and hope/pray and try to make the best choices possible but you still cannot predict what will happen. You may need to depend on someone,in the case of a medical condition. Have you ever thought about that?

College is not what it used to be as it relates to guaranteeing a great income/career and life. I hope you don't think college is the ticket to the easy life. Right now you're a child and you're dealing with child related issues. Once you become an adult the whole damn game changes!

Be humble and happy that you're in a good position now, because it could change in the future.

I think If I was 26 and worked a pizza place, I'd complain also. I would be complaining because I felt I could do better and somehow am not.

Life can be really tough, take it easy on the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-OH View Post
I've been working there for over two years, and I plan on going to college and getting a real job where I can make lots of money! haha If I ever get into a rut like him, I will dig, claw, and scratch my way out!! I will do anything and everything that I can so that I can get back on my feet as soon as possible! I don't like to depend on people. Not even my parents.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:03 PM

516 posts, read 1,889,736 times
Quote:
Now, there's this guy that I work with who is 26 years old, living in his parents basement, and he always complains that he has to work too much!! ... All he does is go home, and play video games and then he doesn't get much sleep and then comes into work really tired and complains non-stop!
And there you have it, all summed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
How many years have you worked?

Quote:
Your feelings will change in the future, be sure of that
For things like this, mine haven't.

Quote:
You may find yourself in his shoes
And how you respond is what makes the difference:

Quote:
If I ever get into a rut like him, I will dig, claw, and scratch my way out!! I will do anything and everything that I can so that I can get back on my feet as soon as possible!
If you keep an attitude like that when you DO find yourself in that position, you'll do fine.

Quote:
being young and ignorant is bliss
Being old and ignorant is a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I think If I was 26 and worked a pizza place, I'd complain also. I would be complaining because I felt I could do better and somehow am not.
Personally, I've been there. With a child. I found it far more productive to put my energy into bettering my position rather than complaining about it and wasting time playing videogames all night long.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:04 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,343,318 times
Yeh I am sure you all perfect and have never felt down and out, and never complained in your life to anyone

And let me guess you all came from an orphanage, were abused by foster parents, got picked on in school, did not have enough money for college so you had to work, then had a baby to take care of, but none of that stuff ever bothered you, and you are now an uber billionaire

Great story guys

Some people are not perfect, and have bad days, and years every now and then

Old 09-20-2008, 08:34 PM

93 posts, read 288,251 times
Yeah, I like money, kinda because I like the way it works. I like to find the best rates on CD's and I can't wait to turn 18, so I can learn more about stocks and stuff like that! I'm gonna buy some Treasury Bills soon. I've just gotta keep working! I always try to have a positive attitude, b/c most of my time is spent at work, so if I'm grumpy and complain, everybody around me is prbly gonna become grumpy too, and that's never any fun. I like to make the most of life. Heck, I've only got a little bit of time on this earth, why waste it being negative? But yeah, I like to read financial books and learn all sorts of new things. I was in school one day and we had to do that thing were you write a word, then for every letter, you have to think of another word that starts with that letter, and we had to use the word "economics", and for the C, I said Certificate of Deposit, and everybody looked at me like I had 3 heads!! They all just stared, and I was just like..umm...you guys don't know what that is? Nobody had a clue! But, I'm glad I know!! So, thank you everybody who complimented my attitude. I hope it never changes!

Old 09-20-2008, 08:43 PM

93 posts, read 288,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
First off, if it pays you real money than it's a real job. It may not be your IDEAL job but it was good enough for you to stay for 2 years.....

Also, as a young man, you may have the "it will never happen to me" attitude. Well everyone thinks it will never happen to them. YOU CANNOT decide what happens in your future. You can plan and hope/pray and try to make the best choices possible but you still cannot predict what will happen. You may need to depend on someone,in the case of a medical condition. Have you ever thought about that?

College is not what it used to be as it relates to guaranteeing a great income/career and life. I hope you don't think college is the ticket to the easy life. Right now you're a child and you're dealing with child related issues. Once you become an adult the whole damn game changes!

Be humble and happy that you're in a good position now, because it could change in the future.

Life can be really tough, take it easy on the guy.
Oh no, I don't have that kind of attitude!! I understand that if something did happen, it would be out of my control, but I would work twice as hard as usual to get back on my feet so I can support myself again. And, I know that I might have to depend on somebody in my life, I just feel as if I'm taking advantage of them, and that's why I don't like it. It kinda makes me feel guilty, but we all depend on people everyday to bring us all of the things we take for granted, like electricity, and well that's all I can think of right now, but I'm just tired. haha
College is definitely not the easy ticket. You've gotta work hard while you're in college, then you have to work even harder to find a job relating to what you studied, and then you may think that you're set for life once you get that job, but nobody is ever set for life. It could always just come crumbling down. That's why you should always have a backup plan!

Old 09-20-2008, 09:43 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,844,514 times
He complains, tell him, why dont you quit, get the Hell out, or shut up, Do something about it. Thats all it takes, Stop Talking, Start Walking. Coming from a 17 yr old, to a 26yr, he'll have to back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment