Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:40 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,080,913 times

Advertisements

My husband works with a 'complainer' on the night shift. The guy hates being a cleaner. He is over 50 and lost the 'awesome' job he had so he has been doing cleaning for a while. He constantly complains how his job sucks and how he is getting out of there and so on and so on.

My husband LIKES his job (not a cleaner, but works night shift). This is a burden on him (the hours) and our family but he does it.

He refers to the guy as THE COMPLAINER to me. He's told the guy to move on if he is not happy...the guy LIKES to complain. (it's easier than trying). Believe me I have spend most of my working life TRYING to score a good job. It's defeating and depressing but I HAVE to press on.

Sometimes people like their misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 09:46 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,240,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
He complains, tell him, why dont you quit, get the Hell out, or shut up, Do something about it. Thats all it takes, Stop Talking, Start Walking. Coming from a 17 yr old, to a 26yr, he'll have to back up.
yes, because starting drama at work will make everything MUCH better.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:11 PM

516 posts, read 1,889,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Yeh I am sure you all perfect and have never felt down and out, and never complained in your life to anyone

And let me guess you all came from an orphanage, were abused by foster parents, got picked on in school, did not have enough money for college so you had to work, then had a baby to take care of, but none of that stuff ever bothered you, and you are now an uber billionaire

Great story guys

Some people are not perfect, and have bad days, and years every now and then
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Sometimes people like their misery.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
In the real world a lot of people really dislike something about their job, if it be supervisor, co-workers, job itself, or customers.

Some people have LESS energy than you and cannot do full time school and full time work. People are different. Some people have diseases, ailments, allergies, mental or emotional problems, unhappy lives, weight problems, lower standards than you, and handicaps that you don't know about that cause people to be less happy, content, and energetic as you are. Be understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-OH View Post
Okay, get this: I'm 17, and a senior in high school. I work at a pizza shop to pay for my clothes, car, car insurance, cell phone etc. Now, there's this guy that I work with who is 26 years old, living in his parents basement, and he always complains that he has to work too much!! I on average work anywhere from 30-40 hours a week. He works about 35. The last two weeks, I worked 47 hours, and went to school every morning too! All he does is go home, and play video games and then he doesn't get much sleep and then comes into work really tired and complains non-stop! I enjoy working kinda, probably because I really like money! Sometimes I even take some of his hours, b/c he doesn't like working.
But, it is very annoying when he complains to me about working too much, when I'm working more than he is, and I'm going to school on top of it, and my grades are actually good. My parents are afraid that my grades are gonna drop b/c I work so much, but they won't, and I've gotta pay off my car quick, then start saving for college! I'm not afraid of a little hard work, so that I can get a little head start in life. I don't want to be living at home when I'm 26.
Back to the whole point of this, I want to politely tell him that I hate it when he complains to me about working, b/c I just have absolutely NO respect for lazy people! How would I say that nicely the next time that he starts complaining?

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-21-2008 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 02:19 PM

Part of normal and healthy life is being able to depend a little bit on others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-OH View Post
I've been working there for over two years, and I plan on going to college and getting a real job where I can make lots of money! haha If I ever get into a rut like him, I will dig, claw, and scratch my way out!! I will do anything and everything that I can so that I can get back on my feet as soon as possible! I don't like to depend on people. Not even my parents.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Don't brag or boast about how successful you are out in public that is extremely rude and can cause a lot of friction between co-workers. From how you type you come across as very boastful and full of pride. That can cause friction if you announce your plans and display a way too ambitious and narcissistic attitude in public, which is what you did in your posts. It is almost as if you are trying to scapegoat/belittle your co-worker. You are talking about how superior you are and how irritatingly low quality your co-worker is just because he is a complainer and doesn't have the same lifestyle as you...., I get the point and see the trend here.

What you need to do is tell him to relax or interrupt him kindly and change the topic to something friendly or work related; however, he does have the right to his opinion even if it is negative and you need to respect that too. He can complain if he feels negatively about something, it is his right. So you can also try and negotiate something with him and try to understand a little bit about his point of view and let him in on your point of view. That takes a lot of effort and maturity but if you are truly mature you can do it and you could see things change for the better little by little.

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-21-2008 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 02:35 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,836 times
Keep up with the great attitude and let everyone else whine and complain about "how terrible things are", etc. Keep being positive and upbeat and you will either affect the guy positively, or he will eventually leave and complain to someone else just how "unfair" his previous job was.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:10 PM

People have the right to complain. Sometimes people get stuck in circumstances that they do not like at all and complaining is naturally going to occur. It is pretty normal actually.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:26 PM

93 posts, read 288,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Don't brag or boast about how successful you are out in public that is extremely rude and can cause a lot of friction between co-workers. From how you type you come across as very boastful and full of pride. That can cause friction if you announce your plans and display a way too ambitious and narcissistic attitude in public, which is what you did in your posts. It is almost as if you are trying to scapegoat/belittle your co-worker. You are talking about how superior you are and how irritatingly low quality your co-worker is just because he is a complainer and doesn't have the same lifestyle as you...., I get the point and see the trend here.

What you need to do is tell him to relax or interrupt him kindly and change the topic to something friendly or work related; however, he does have the right to his opinion even if it is negative and you need to respect that too. He can complain if he feels negatively about something, it is his right. So you can also try and negotiate something with him and try to understand a little bit about his point of view and let him in on your point of view. That takes a lot of effort and maturity but if you are truly mature you can do it and you could see things change for the better little by little.
No, no, no! I am not boastful at all! I'm like the humblest person you could ever meet. It kinda doesn't seem like that in my writing, but if you really did meet me, I am very very humble. I don't like talking about myself or anything like that. I do things to make me feel better rather than to gain the respect of others.
I understand that everybody has a right to complain, but can't he complain to somebody else? Can't he complain to somebody that doesn't like their job, so they can have a big long discussion of why they don't like it, and leave me alone?! lol One can only wish I guess...
Oh, and I'm not trying to belittle him. If I was trying to do that, I would just yell at him to shut up when he was complaining. haha jk I wouldn't do that!
But, the other day he started complaining and I said, "Do you want a little cheese with that whine?" haha It made me laugh, and he laughed too, but then he just kept on complaining. lol My mission was unsuccessful!

Old 09-21-2008, 08:41 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,839,885 times
Originally Posted by artsyguy
Don't brag or boast about how successful you are out in public that is extremely rude and can cause a lot of friction between co-workers.
and then you state:
People have the right to complain.

hmmm, negative statements in the workplace dont cause harm and friction in the workplace? and someone makeing positive remarks about themself does. Okay, Im one confused person, and you are one contradictory one.
No, people dont have the right to complain, unless they are going to do something about it. Running around downing the workplace is counterproductive, I don't know what kind of work atmosphere you come from, but that is not acceptable. I would much rather have someone that is telling me he is dreaming of growing and looking for a better life, than a doom and gloom that is putting down the place Im paying him to be at, that does nothing but let every other employee know that it is okay to treat the job as crap, and they dont have to do it worth a damn, just show up, get paid, treat the customers like sh*t, let my business go down the tubes, and go home play video games until I close my doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment