Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,489,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
1.The bank closed at 12pm Sat, the manager at that bank didnt close the door until 12:02 when the line was out the door. 12:10 the last customer comes up. A simple deposit. Bada boom done right? Nope. She goes "Can I take out $10000?" Begrudingly i process the withdrawl, turns out she aint got enough in her account. Argues i made a deposit, i counter with it aint been posted and i cant give you what aint in the account. Goes to my manager for 25 min and argues and at 1 pm i walk out the door. This lady was a total nutjob. She drove 1 hour from LaPlata, MD to Alexandria, VA just b/c she likes the service at this particular bank. Heck, i like a Burger King in Hampton, VA but that dont mean i'll drive 3 1/2 hours to get the same thing i can get in a 10 minute drive in Alexandria, VA.

2. The bank closes at 5pm on a weekday, this lady walks in a couple minutes after 5. I've already packed my cash in and am on my way to school. she goes to another teller wants to cash a $10k check after closing her account and wants only hundred dollar bills. I have to go back into my cash and give the teller large bills and wait for this greedy woman to leave. 5:30 i walk out the door and hurry home to get to class on time.

The managers need to clamp down on this stuff, seriously.
So that's what people do in line at the bank...I always wondered why it was always the ones just ahead of me that wanted to refinance their homes while I just had one simple transaction...
They ought to have express lines at banks too...although I think I'm one of the few that tries to keep things simple for everbody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,573,431 times
I'm dating myself by telling this story, but I worked at Fotomat (a kiosk that did photo processing) many, many years ago. I'll never forget the one day that I was just about to close, and a customer came up to the window wanting his packet of photos. He gave me a $50, which I didn't have change for... It was the biggest nightmare. He was one of those: "I'm not leaving until I get what I want!" people. Talk about a crazy maker! I hate dealing with the general public.

As for the cell phone issue, I get angry on behalf of all cashiers, tellers, store clerks, etc. when people don't have the courtesy to put their call on hold for the few seconds it takes to do their transaction. That is so incredibly rude! On the other side, though, one of the duties at my job is cashiering, but I also back up the main phone lines, so there are times when I'm on the phone and processing a customer's deposit, but I always smile and mouth an apology at them. I feel bad, though.

Last edited by SandyCo; 12-16-2008 at 11:40 PM..

Old 12-16-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
There were also people who stood in line forever (and I overheard complaining about the long line)[as if coming early to the movie and getting your food BEFORE you only have 5 minutes until the movie starts was illegal or something....] and would take such a long time deciding what they wanted. ALL that time in line and you didn't use it to look at the menu.
Similar thing happened at our store...people usually had membership cards at our store and they knew we were going to ask for it when they approached the register,but some people wait the whole time in line and instead of having it ready they then proceed to dig for it then get huffy when they can't find it. Well don't blame me,they're the ones that are being inefficient.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 PM

612 posts, read 1,845,995 times
Oh man so many of these are hilariously funny. I don't have anything that can beat it though .

I have worked in retail for a year and half and it is pure hell. At my store (starts with a T) we have to refer our customers as guests.
-Our bikes are already built and set up on floor. Many times the guest wants one in the back. They claim that the one's on the floor are only for display. I say "No, these are for sale and that's why it says that we do the assembling. We always have people who want us to set up the kids bikes that are in boxes. Uhh... no we don't do that.
-I work in Electronics sometimes. It is crazy on the weekends. People think that they have been waiting for 30 minutes. Uhh... no. I know when I see people come into the area. I always have to say please get in a line for your turn... nobody does so then I have to do it by who I think whose been waiting a long time.
-People disrupting me and saying "Sorry, I have a quick question..." while I'm already talking/helping another guest. Wait your turn!! Or wait for another employee to help you.
-I know when we are out of an item: It says so on my handheld PDA. No you can't go back there to see for yourself, no my manager can't help you. Just because one of my co-workers is older doesn't mean they have more experience.
-We make 3 announcements 15,10, and 5 minutes before the store closes. At 5 minutes, I expect you to start walking to registers. One women and her child said they needed to get things for Thanksgiving the next day. Looks like she did all of her Thanksgiving stuff on that evening. She said she needed one more item across the store and I told her to make it quick. I followed her to make sure. My supervisor keep asking me if it was cleared via the walkie. I had to repeat the same answer 5 times. Finally he came over to the women and told her to bring her stuff to the register when I had to pack everything because the other cashiers already left. She bought $500 worth of stuff. Now, I just tell our guests to go to the registers: No leniency.

There's so much that annoy me and that make me want to quit retail but I do enjoy it about half the time.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,809,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Similar thing happened at our store...people usually had membership cards at our store and they knew we were going to ask for it when they approached the register,but some people wait the whole time in line and instead of having it ready they then proceed to dig for it then get huffy when they can't find it. Well don't blame me,they're the ones that are being inefficient.
Sometimes people were understanding that the person in line was at fault for causing the delay.
I used to work at a Regal Cinema and I had to ask, "Do you have a crown card?" (little point card) and people would search for about 5 minutes and SOMETIMES they would find it. I wanted to just tell them to bring me their card at the end of the movie and I can put the points on there then.

Of course there are the people who take forever to find 1 quarter when they can use a perfectly good dollar.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Of course there are the people who take forever to find 1 quarter when they can use a perfectly good dollar.
I can understand people not wanting to seem like an a-hole and keep making the clerk make change,probably why they try to stick to exact change...however not when I'm behind some old people and they always seem to whip their lifetime's worth of change out and try and pay that way

Old 12-17-2008, 09:24 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I can understand people not wanting to seem like an a-hole and keep making the clerk make change,probably why they try to stick to exact change...however not when I'm behind some old people and they always seem to whip their lifetime's worth of change out and try and pay that way

I can understand that. I was in a grocery store with my then 10 month old and in front of me was a women who had about 20 coupons and paid to with what had to be $10 in change.

I also was in a store to get Iced Cream because we ran out of r my daughters birthday party. I had 1 box of iced cream thats it and do a FAST walk to the check out. Well a women and I met and she has 2 things and I be nice and say go ahead. Well she has a rain checks for 3-4 things and chats it up with the cashier. Just before she finishes she says well I was going to get this but could not find it so never mind. SO the cashier says no it's okay and has some one go find it for her to buy. Needless to say we could have drank the ice cream after this.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:05 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,011,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
The holidays are really getting to me, i am now chain smoking before i go into my retail job (thankfully it's only a two day a week thing), and almost all of the fun people I worked with are gone.

so this thread is for those of us that work in retail or customer service, and the things that annoy us about the general public.

This means no complaints from people about how terrible your service was at XYZ Co. because more than likely either you were being a jerk, or the person serving you at XYZ Co. has to put up with a bunch of idiots trying to micromanage them. So don't even bother.

Some things I hate:
1. I really hate it when people use my name tag to their advantage when i'm trying to help someone else. yelling out my name is not going to make me want to pay attention to you any more, i'm clearly helping someone else and you can wait 30 more seconds, it will not kill you.

2. PEOPLE COMING THROUGH THE LINE ON THEIR CELL PHONE. If I ever opened a store, i swear I would make a policy that if you come through the line and get checked out while talking on your phone about stupid crap to your stupid friends, you have absolutely no reason or right to complain if you think your order was wrong or you were overcharged. More than likely, we did ring you up right and gave you the right order, but since you weren't paying attention when your hard earned money was being exchanged, you're now making up crazy things that we don't understand.

3. People that don't understand that "we open at X:00 am" means WE OPEN AT X:00 AM!!! and, no we can't "just get you something really quick" because more than likely there isn't any money in the register yet. if you can't wait 15 minutes then move along and we don't really need your business anyway.

4. Why is it ALWAYS "I've been waiting for 10 MINUTES!!!" why is it never 5, or 15, or the more accurate 30 SECONDS (because i just rang you up)?

5. Complete whack jobs, please don't come through my line. Yes i'm talking to you, crazy man that yelled at me because i didn't have enough quarters in the register to give you because i had 20 people in line and one roll of quarters left, with no one in charge to give me change. i'm also talking to you, even crazier man, that yelled at me over what finger i was using to press buttons on the register. apparently he thought he was so important that i was paying enough attention to him to flip him off over and over as i pressed buttons on the register. get. over. it.

generally, everyone is nice, but there's always at least one person per day that is completely off their rocker.

Your turn!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
--how about those customers who come in late and make you stay open late?
--how about those customers who like to sigh and roll their eyes over anything that takes up their precious time?
--how about those customers who make hissing noises or go "psst" or snap their fingers to get my attention?

those customers and many more made me say, "No more!" to customer service jobs years ago.
Quote:
I absolutely feel you when it comes to customers on cell phones.
My first job was at the movies and nothing would irk me more than a customer on their cell phone when we had a LONG line and they would sit and talk on their phone while everyone else was waiting.
I couldn't serve other customers (I did that one time and got a huge lecture) and just had to wait on this person to finish up their conversation.
To make matters worse, once they were done with their conversation, they would take at least 5 minutes trying to decide what they wanted.

A pizza place not too far from my house has signs posted saying that you will not be served if you are on your cell phone.

There were also people who stood in line forever (and I overheard complaining about the long line)[as if coming early to the movie and getting your food BEFORE you only have 5 minutes until the movie starts was illegal or something....] and would take such a long time deciding what they wanted. ALL that time in line and you didn't use it to look at the menu.
As a retail worker I have to agree with all of these and much much more.
One of the things I really hate are when problem (idiot) customers come in and seeing a new person go up to them, to try and scam the new worker.

I had someone do that to me, they went up to the new guy and said their cell phone just stopped working, they had no idea what happened to it. Since it was only 3 months old could we replace it for her. I stepped up and when we pulled up the customer's account it was over a year old, but not yet to where she could renew her contract. I then picked up the phone to see if I could tell what was wrong with it and water started dripping out of it! If I hadn't been there the new kid would have replaced her phone.

I also hate the people who wait until the last possible minute to come in and then take up to an hour of your time answering questions, explaining things and then they tell you oh I was just looking/price checking/I have no money.

I also hate the ones that are always saying they can get XYZ for cheaper with RST. Go there then, I can't change the prices my company charges, I'm just a retail worker. I reside on the bottom of the chain.

Just one more thing, and this isn't directed at customers, but the stores. Please please please please stop playing Christmas music from November 1st until Jan 1st. Or at least play a large variety or better yet, play regular songs mixed in as well. Listening to the same 5 Christmas songs over and over and over again while I'm doing my gift shopping, makes me want to scream!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:30 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,250,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Just one more thing, and this isn't directed at customers, but the stores. Please please please please stop playing Christmas music from November 1st until Jan 1st. Or at least play a large variety or better yet, play regular songs mixed in as well. Listening to the same 5 Christmas songs over and over and over again while I'm doing my gift shopping, makes me want to scream!
No kidding! One year I worked in a place with a crazy woman for manager, and she turned on the Xmas music BEFORE HALLOWEEN, and left it on until after New Years. I wanted to strangle her, as did the rest of us working there.

the other day I went into a restaurant while on lunch at my retail job - and the restaurant wasn't playing Xmas music! I wanted to kiss all of them!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:48 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,129,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
The holidays are really getting to me, i am now chain smoking before i go into my retail job (thankfully it's only a two day a week thing), and almost all of the fun people I worked with are gone.

so this thread is for those of us that work in retail or customer service, and the things that annoy us about the general public.

This means no complaints from people about how terrible your service was at XYZ Co. because more than likely either you were being a jerk, or the person serving you at XYZ Co. has to put up with a bunch of idiots trying to micromanage them. So don't even bother.

Some things I hate:
1. I really hate it when people use my name tag to their advantage when i'm trying to help someone else. yelling out my name is not going to make me want to pay attention to you any more, i'm clearly helping someone else and you can wait 30 more seconds, it will not kill you.

2. PEOPLE COMING THROUGH THE LINE ON THEIR CELL PHONE. If I ever opened a store, i swear I would make a policy that if you come through the line and get checked out while talking on your phone about stupid crap to your stupid friends, you have absolutely no reason or right to complain if you think your order was wrong or you were overcharged. More than likely, we did ring you up right and gave you the right order, but since you weren't paying attention when your hard earned money was being exchanged, you're now making up crazy things that we don't understand.

3. People that don't understand that "we open at X:00 am" means WE OPEN AT X:00 AM!!! and, no we can't "just get you something really quick" because more than likely there isn't any money in the register yet. if you can't wait 15 minutes then move along and we don't really need your business anyway.

4. Why is it ALWAYS "I've been waiting for 10 MINUTES!!!" why is it never 5, or 15, or the more accurate 30 SECONDS (because i just rang you up)?

5. Complete whack jobs, please don't come through my line. Yes i'm talking to you, crazy man that yelled at me because i didn't have enough quarters in the register to give you because i had 20 people in line and one roll of quarters left, with no one in charge to give me change. i'm also talking to you, even crazier man, that yelled at me over what finger i was using to press buttons on the register. apparently he thought he was so important that i was paying enough attention to him to flip him off over and over as i pressed buttons on the register. get. over. it.

generally, everyone is nice, but there's always at least one person per day that is completely off their rocker.

Your turn!!
I agree w/just about everything you stated...you always seem to get that ONE who for whatever reason is bent on making someone's day miserable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment