Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-19-2008, 09:20 AM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 6,492,449 times
Reputation: 1031

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
YES! Why on EARTH should retail workers be subject to such abuse from people who should know better? I've gone from having a boss that would kick people out if they were just getting on his nerves to one that caters to all the rude people that complain about nothing.... things aren't as fun anymore.
Perhaps most businesses should be like that soup nazi guy on Seinfeld
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2008, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Louisiana and Pennsylvania
3,010 posts, read 6,320,308 times
Reputation: 3128
I no longer work retail, but some things that irked me were:

Those who feel WE make the store and company policies. We don't

Customers who feel they have a God-given right to put their hands on associates. I don't care who you are..keep your hands off of me if you don't know me.

The "stragglers" who came in @8:59 and we closed at 9 . Some people don't realize that we just don't simply walk out after nine and go home. Closing a store, esp a big box retail involves a lot. We had to clean up, re-stock, count the money, etc...This takes up to an hour or two and we can't do any of that with customers still present, esp. counting the day's receipts.

Customers, especially older ones who talk to you like you are an idiot or were born yesterday. Just address me as an adult, please.

At the time I worked in retail (mid 90s), cell phones were not as prevalent or plentuful back then as they are now, so that was not even an issue. We did, though have people who would ask to use the phone and it was abused, so that stopped.

A customer asks you to explain a product, then after doing so, they tell you "that's not what the brochure says"

After leaving retail, I really minimized my contact with people for about a month, except only when necessary. I'm fine, now .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 14,812,691 times
Reputation: 3550
Customers Suck *please read profile before posting!*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 02:17 PM
 
6,764 posts, read 22,103,088 times
Reputation: 4773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post

The "stragglers" who came in @8:59 and we closed at 9 . Some people don't realize that we just don't simply walk out after nine and go home. Closing a store, esp a big box retail involves a lot. We had to clean up, re-stock, count the money, etc...This takes up to an hour or two and we can't do any of that with customers still present, esp. counting the day's receipts.
People do this when you work in a restaurant, too. They expect to sit around and have meal when the kitchen is supposed to close by 10. Then it puts everyone back while these last minute losers hang around for their food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2008, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Louisiana and Pennsylvania
3,010 posts, read 6,320,308 times
Reputation: 3128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
People do this when you work in a restaurant, too. They expect to sit around and have meal when the kitchen is supposed to close by 10. Then it puts everyone back while these last minute losers hang around for their food.
I'm sure, and probably a lot in your business. I would have loved more than anything to tell stragglers to hurry up, then again, it could have a negative impact on business in the long run, even if they are in the wrong.

That's why I do my best to be considerate and be mindful of those who do want to go home AND have some time to themselves. Some people will never, ever have a clue until they put themselves in the shoes of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 11:53 AM
 
769 posts, read 2,236,375 times
Reputation: 421
Other things I hate about customer service/retail:
--getting a 5 min. lecture from managers for being two minutes late; I've had this happen to me several times despite the fact that the clocks are always several minutes ahead.
--having managers call me, begging me to come in because they're "swamped with customers", only to get there and find out it is actually quite normal and relaxed.
--customers who want a discount for everything.
--customers who come around to the other side, stand waaaay to close to me, and watch the computer as I check out items.
--customers who lean on the counter.
--customers and their noisey kids.
--having to give out promotions to customers constantly and being nagged by my managers whenever I didn't, "would you like to get a useless membership card to our crappy department store? it will save you money and you can get great deals and coupons on a bunch of items you don't really need."

Here's another one:
When I worked at DSW Shoe almost every week we had the same group of women stealing things from the store. The corporate office constantly hesitated to prosecute them because "it would cost too much money to go through the court process". So they went on for months stealing items and everyone in the store knew about it. The manager would try her best to stop it but she wasn't physically allowed to stop them from leaving and they were always bold enough to just walk out without revealing, even when the manager ran after them into the parking lot. Finally, after nearly a year, the corporate office decided to prosecute them, and it turned out they stole merchandise that totaled more than I would make from that job in 5 years. But it didn't matter. We got a new set of women within a month who took up after the others had been prosecuted. These new women basically had the same schtick and weren't dealt with when I quit the job 5 months after they had started their thieving spree.

Now, here's the kicker, DSW has this policy where, the cashier does an inventory with the manager, and if the cash register has even a penny less than it says on the computer--yes, a penny!--the cashier gets warnings and write ups, and may be fired after so many mistakes. THESE PEOPLE USED TO WRITE ME UP FOR BEING A PENNY OFF YET THEY PROCRASTINATED WHEN IT CAME TO PROSECUTING THIEVES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2008, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Middle Earth
491 posts, read 750,703 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
People do this when you work in a restaurant, too. They expect to sit around and have meal when the kitchen is supposed to close by 10. Then it puts everyone back while these last minute losers hang around for their food.
When I worked as a dishwasher this happened all the time and it got on my nerves. Can't these stupid people read that we are closing in 10 minutes and that does not mean you can come in and eat for a hour. We can not close the dishroom until all the dishes are clean so we have to wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,982 posts, read 35,282,434 times
Reputation: 7428
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Other things I hate about customer service/retail:
--getting a 5 min. lecture from managers for being two minutes late; I've had this happen to me several times despite the fact that the clocks are always several minutes ahead.
--having managers call me, begging me to come in because they're "swamped with customers", only to get there and find out it is actually quite normal and relaxed.
--customers who want a discount for everything.
--customers who come around to the other side, stand waaaay to close to me, and watch the computer as I check out items.
--customers who lean on the counter.
--customers and their noisey kids.
--having to give out promotions to customers constantly and being nagged by my managers whenever I didn't, "would you like to get a useless membership card to our crappy department store? it will save you money and you can get great deals and coupons on a bunch of items you don't really need."

Here's another one:
When I worked at DSW Shoe almost every week we had the same group of women stealing things from the store. The corporate office constantly hesitated to prosecute them because "it would cost too much money to go through the court process". So they went on for months stealing items and everyone in the store knew about it. The manager would try her best to stop it but she wasn't physically allowed to stop them from leaving and they were always bold enough to just walk out without revealing, even when the manager ran after them into the parking lot. Finally, after nearly a year, the corporate office decided to prosecute them, and it turned out they stole merchandise that totaled more than I would make from that job in 5 years. But it didn't matter. We got a new set of women within a month who took up after the others had been prosecuted. These new women basically had the same schtick and weren't dealt with when I quit the job 5 months after they had started their thieving spree.

Now, here's the kicker, DSW has this policy where, the cashier does an inventory with the manager, and if the cash register has even a penny less than it says on the computer--yes, a penny!--the cashier gets warnings and write ups, and may be fired after so many mistakes. THESE PEOPLE USED TO WRITE ME UP FOR BEING A PENNY OFF YET THEY PROCRASTINATED WHEN IT CAME TO PROSECUTING THIEVES!
I hate having to offer those stupid coupons 'If you buy a a pack of straws, you get a free box fo toothpicks".

None of the customers would ever want them so I'd have a pile of coupons laying around everywhere because the maintence people were too busy "cleaning" the breakroom, I swea they cleaned it about 20 times a day.

It is so annoying when people come in with food stamps and buy up to 500 dollars worth of the food, than in the end they only have about 200 dollars on it. So we actually have to sit there and help them pick out things they don't want or need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Valrico, FL
5 posts, read 14,113 times
Reputation: 11
Default Want to work for yourself and own your own business w/o the overhead?

Happy Holidays, Everyone!!! I GOT THE COOKIE OUT HERE!! NO MLM, NO PARTY PLANS, NO DOOR TO DOOR!!!!!!!! If anyone is looking for any help in the job market please let me know!! I do run a home based business out of my home, NO it is not multi-level in any way, to TOP it all off the Biggest search engine on the internet just partnered with us, Thats right GOOGLE!!! They do NOT partner with anyone either. Look at it this way also you do not have to buy hundreds of dollars of product and try to move it and store it anywhere in your home. I can be reached on MSN, AOL, Yahoo or my web site. You can also email me @ kimcarleton1@gmail.com for more information. Stay safe and enjoy the season. Sincerely, Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 03:09 PM
 
359 posts, read 1,198,947 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
i feel for you all! I'd be a garbage collector before i would ever work in retail
amen :d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top