U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Job opportunities: inventory control, warehouse management field, business degree, internships available

Old 12-25-2008, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,856 times

Advertisements

I'm an old dog (54) and no NOT in dog years. As the saying goes you CAN teach an 'ol dog new tricks. BUT! My apprehension is not about learning new tricks, it's about whether or not I'm realistically going to end up sitting on the porch or running with the pack as far as job opportunities go.

While I AM 54 years old over half that time has been spent working in the inventory control, warehouse management field. Add to that some supervisory, purchasing and even a few years in computer technical support and yoiu've pretty much summed up my work background.

After 25 years in a totally unfruitful and what ended up being a very abusive marriage I am now enabling myself the opportunity to learn, grow and take my work history to the next big level. With all this experience I've decided to go to school and have been accepted and Missouri State University pursuing a business degree in Logistics for Supply and Transportation. I start Jan09 and going 3/4 time I can pretty much concur that I'm going to be looking for work when I'm 60. Certainly NOT the best senario in the world but it sure beats the hell out of looking for work when I'm 60 and NOT having a degree at all right? After graduation I pretty much am open to going just about anywhere in the country to live.

For the time being though I'd have to think (or pray is more accurate) that there should be some interships available to at least keep me focused on the "real world" application of things. Satisfying the academics needed to gain me the tools to accentuate my skills and experience and ultimately put me in an earning bracket that is more suitable to some respectable level is pretty much my current focus.

All that being said, I guess I'd like to hear from any of you who may be in a similar situation in this field and perhaps there may be some of you out there that are on the employer side of this fence and could help bring some practical clarity to the direction I am taking. If I was asked to describe my "dream job" I have to say it would be something involved with the orchestration of materials being distributed nationally if not globally for BMW Corporation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 11:37 AM

6,351 posts, read 20,379,239 times
What about Prime Transportation right there in Springfield? I see their trucks all over the country.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:22 PM

7,615 posts, read 18,148,492 times
Ok, first of all, I'm almost 60 yrs old. Once we get moved down to Florida, I will be looking for a position as a Jr. Buyer, Materials Coordinator and/or in Inventory Management. Like yourself, I spent years working in Shipping, Receiving, warehouse and stockroom. During those years, I worked fairly closely with Purchasing, but, until ten years ago, never worked directly in Purchasing. Then, I became a Purchasing Assistant, Junior Buyer and a Materials Coordinator. I never got a Degree, but have taken some on-line courses in Purchasing/Inventory Management. My last class was Distribution and Logistics Management. Good class, but just too intense for the type of work I want to finish my "working years" in. My last supervisor had a Bachelors in Business and was also a CPM (Certified Purchasing Manager) and a CPIM (Certified in Production and Inventory Management). I don't have enough time or money to persue a Degree or Certification! Unfortunately, from the ads that I have read, most companies want the Degree and/or the Certification. It's not like the "good ol' days" when a person could advance from working in Shipping/Receiving/Warehouse/stockroom to working in Purchasing and/or Inventory Control- Inventory Management and do it with "on-the-job-training". Some companies actually require the APICS certification of CPM to work in Purchasing!
Good Luck

Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,340,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerknut View Post
I'm an old dog (54) and no NOT in dog years. As the saying goes you CAN teach an 'ol dog new tricks. BUT! My apprehension is not about learning new tricks, it's about whether or not I'm realistically going to end up sitting on the porch or running with the pack as far as job opportunities go.

While I AM 54 years old over half that time has been spent working in the inventory control, warehouse management field. Add to that some supervisory, purchasing and even a few years in computer technical support and yoiu've pretty much summed up my work background.

After 25 years in a totally unfruitful and what ended up being a very abusive marriage I am now enabling myself the opportunity to learn, grow and take my work history to the next big level. With all this experience I've decided to go to school and have been accepted and Missouri State University pursuing a business degree in Logistics for Supply and Transportation. I start Jan09 and going 3/4 time I can pretty much concur that I'm going to be looking for work when I'm 60. Certainly NOT the best senario in the world but it sure beats the hell out of looking for work when I'm 60 and NOT having a degree at all right? After graduation I pretty much am open to going just about anywhere in the country to live.

For the time being though I'd have to think (or pray is more accurate) that there should be some interships available to at least keep me focused on the "real world" application of things. Satisfying the academics needed to gain me the tools to accentuate my skills and experience and ultimately put me in an earning bracket that is more suitable to some respectable level is pretty much my current focus.

All that being said, I guess I'd like to hear from any of you who may be in a similar situation in this field and perhaps there may be some of you out there that are on the employer side of this fence and could help bring some practical clarity to the direction I am taking. If I was asked to describe my "dream job" I have to say it would be something involved with the orchestration of materials being distributed nationally if not globally for BMW Corporation.
I have been in transportation for 39 years. 35 years at a fortune 500 carrier LTL, and 3 years at another carrier CONTAINER.

Now the Logistics part can allow you to work for many companies, Walmart, Lowes (check their www site) etc....however I have to advise for right now, many people having anything to do with transportation from warehouse to dispatch are laying off.

The largest carrier in the USA is set to have massive layoffs while they consolidate 2 of their companies.

I can only hope things will pick back up in a year or two. One must remember as many people lose their jobs, they are not buying anything, hence shipping both locally, nationally and import and exporting is down horribly. Meaning there are many people with logistics backgrounds from coordinating logistics with carriers to truck drivers and dock workers looking and will be looking for jobs.

I myself am looking to get completely out of the transportation industry, which used to be one of the top 10 pressure jobs (not sure if still in top 10 or not). I've seen over 300 of my co-workers laid off here where I live, and where I used to live maybe a good 800 lost jobs.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:38 AM

535 posts, read 1,642,489 times
Lots of carriers closed here in NC when the price of fuel went through the roof. Pretty sad.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:29 PM

7,615 posts, read 18,148,492 times
In the areas of Purchasing and Inventory Management, where my experience is from, there are still jobs available in most areas. I have never worked in the Transportation area of a company, so I don't know about that area. The OP was asking about both Purchasing and Transportation, that is why I posted to him about Purchasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment