Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 AM

841 posts, read 3,473,680 times

Advertisements

25 Well-Paying Jobs that Most People Overlook (and Why) | Business Pundit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:46 AM

359 posts, read 1,198,947 times
OK, here is my pet peeves of these overlooked jobs

1: Crab Fisherman is indeed the deadliest job in America. Dealing with long hours and sub-zero temperatures is not for everybody

2: Gastronomic Surgeon: Yep, requires a degree in a 4-year college.

3: Podiatrist: Simple answer: Requires a degree

4: Accountant: Again, requires a degree

5: Car Salesman: I laughed at this. It is a well-paying job, but in this economy, nobody is buying cars. I have also heard of layoffs at most dealerships because of very low sales.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,231,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
OK, here is my pet peeves of these overlooked jobs

1: Crab Fisherman is indeed the deadliest job in America. Dealing with long hours and sub-zero temperatures is not for everybody

3: Podiatrist: Simple answer: Requires a degree

4: Accountant: Again, requires a degree

5: Car Salesman: I laughed at this. It is a well-paying job, but in this economy, nobody is buying cars. I have also heard of layoffs at most dealerships because of very low sales.
Why is it a pet peeve that some require degrees? Getting that degree is always an option...

Old 01-21-2009, 01:35 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,812,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why is it a pet peeve that some require degrees? Getting that degree is always an option...
Sometimes obtaining a degree is not always an option for some people.
Some people don't have the money, transportation, etc to go to college....
I know some lower income people manage to do it or some people are able to redirect their money and/or priorities but if college were really that accessible, a lot more people in this country would have degrees.

On the flip side, not everyone is cut out for college and that isn't a slight towards anyone but some people just don't need to go to college.
Only 50% of undergraduates end up graduating from college....

Old 01-21-2009, 02:15 PM

305 posts, read 1,732,026 times
Quote:
Not just a degree from a four year college - medical school plus residency. At least eight years before you're done, if you're starting from scratch.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Sometimes obtaining a degree is not always an option for some people.
Some people don't have the money, transportation, etc to go to college....
I know some lower income people manage to do it or some people are able to redirect their money and/or priorities but if college were really that accessible, a lot more people in this country would have degrees.

On the flip side, not everyone is cut out for college and that isn't a slight towards anyone but some people just don't need to go to college.
Only 50% of undergraduates end up graduating from college....
right...but anyone can get loans, and if you go to school to get a job paying $20k more than your current one...paying back $50k in loans really isn't a big deal at all. You can even take out student loans to cover housing/food (I know plenty of people who have done this).

Old 01-21-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
right...but anyone can get loans, and if you go to school to get a job paying $20k more than your current one...paying back $50k in loans really isn't a big deal at all. You can even take out student loans to cover housing/food (I know plenty of people who have done this).
I wouldn't say ANYONE can get loans, especially private loans.
For federal loans, there are limits and sometimes the cost of tuition is more than what your loans will cover.
Of course I'd encourage students starting out at a good community college and transferring to a four-year school.
A lot of times four year schools have scholarships for transfer students, provided you have a certain GPA and have taken certain classes.

I know some people get loans to cover housing and food but not everyone is comfortable with $20,000 worth of loans and in this economy, jobs are not guaranteed. I could have gone to a four year college but I would have ended up with AT LEAST $25,000 worth of debt.
In all, I plan to take out maybe $10,000 (if that much.....) in federal loans.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM

359 posts, read 1,198,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I wouldn't say ANYONE can get loans, especially private loans.
For federal loans, there are limits and sometimes the cost of tuition is more than what your loans will cover.
Of course I'd encourage students starting out at a good community college and transferring to a four-year school.
A lot of times four year schools have scholarships for transfer students, provided you have a certain GPA and have taken certain classes.

I know some people get loans to cover housing and food but not everyone is comfortable with $20,000 worth of loans and in this economy, jobs are not guaranteed. I could have gone to a four year college but I would have ended up with AT LEAST $25,000 worth of debt.
In all, I plan to take out maybe $10,000 (if that much.....) in federal loans.
Not to mention you have to PAY BACK the loans. Yep, that is always fun, you graduated college with a degree, and here we all are stuck with a $20,000 loan bill we have to pay back.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Not to mention you have to PAY BACK the loans. Yep, that is always fun, you graduated college with a degree, and here we all are stuck with a $20,000 loan bill we have to pay back.
I am currently paying $400/mo in student loans. My degree also gave me a job paying more than I could hope to get without one...It will suck until my loans are paid off, but once they are, it will definately be worth it. You have to look at your long term goals, as long as you have a solid payback plan, it works out.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
I am currently paying $400/mo in student loans. My degree also gave me a job paying more than I could hope to get without one...It will suck until my loans are paid off, but once they are, it will definately be worth it. You have to look at your long term goals, as long as you have a solid payback plan, it works out.
Not everyone will be so fortunate.
Just because it worked out for you doesn't mean it will work out for everyone else. We must all do what works for us, not works for everyone else.

I have looked at my long-term goals and I REALLY don't want them to include a bunch of student loan debt, hence why I went to community college and borrowed VERY little in comparison to what I would have had to take out had I attended a four year college that didn't pay for room & board and books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment